The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 18, 2013, 09:09 PM   #1
stu925

Ordering My Garand This Week

So I got my taxes back and I'm finally ordering my CMP Garand this week. I'm going with a service Grade Springfield. Also ordering 200 rds of Greek M2 Ball and the M5A1 Bayonet. Anyone have any suggestions for the sticky note to attach to the order form? I've heard CMP is very good about getting customers what they want, I'd like to get one built during WWII and planned on asking for one in the sticky. I have no idea if those are still available or not though. A Korea era Garand would be perfectly fine also since that is the era that my father served in the US Army. Kraigwy feel free to chime in here, far as I can tell you're the resident Garand & CMP expert.

Stu
Old February 18, 2013, 09:14 PM   #2
hodaka

How does NY deal with the Garand 8 round clips?
Old February 18, 2013, 09:19 PM   #3
jrothWA

My I recommend that after taking it out of the box...

cycle it by hand for abound a fiffty times to smooth the parkerizing.
Then detail it and lube it, before going to range and firing it.

Use Mil-spec ammo or the Federal 30-06 "Garand" commercial stuff.

Good luck & enjoy.
Old February 18, 2013, 10:26 PM   #4
stu925

Garand enblocs would be grandfathered due to the fact they are considered a c&r large capacity feeding device. However if I order them now it's a non issue. The large capacity feeding device bit doesn't go into effect until next Jan. Currently any magazine that holds less than 11 rounds can still be purchased and you can keep them after next Jan but can't load more than 7 rounds in them, stupid law.

Stu
Old February 19, 2013, 08:29 AM   #5
hodaka

The Greek stuff is good and the brass works fine if you reload. I have many rifles but I tend to shoot the Garand the most. It makes me smile when the clip pops out. From a rest I can put 8 on a Post-it note at 100 yards with it. I reload and it is pretty inexpensive to shoot with Privi 150's in bulk (at least when you could find them) and 4064. Enjoy!
Old February 19, 2013, 10:17 AM   #6
kraigwy

It looks to me you've found what you want (which I think is a good choice), you wont be disapointed.

The only thing I would recommend, to any Garand owner is to get the "Book of The Garand" by Gen. J. Hatcher.

Not only does this have a history of the Garand, it tells you how to shoot it, what ammo works best, site corrections for different ammo, (come ups and such), and an excellent trouble shooting section in case something goes work.

Also has a good section on using the Garand in combat and competition.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 19, 2013, 10:57 AM   #7
gdvan01

You can also look into the ported gas plug from Garand Gear and have more options for ammo:

http://www.garandgear.com/m1garand/d...-plug?sef=hcfp

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old February 19, 2013, 11:50 AM   #8
kraigwy

Quote:
You can also look into the ported gas plug from Garand Gear and have more options for ammo:
Which would prevent you from using your Garand in the As-Issued CMP GSM Garand Matches.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 19, 2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Technosavant

There's plenty of military spec 150gr .30-06 out there. I'd not go with the adjustable gas plug unless finding it becomes an issue.

You may or may not get a WWII era service grade. Most of the ones I've seen reported lately have serial numbers well after WWII. My CMP Special has a December 1942 receiver and some WWII hardware (trigger guard, front sight), but then again, the Specials are completely rebuilt and I'd not be surprised if they tried to match hardware to the receiver as much as possible. The service grades don't get quite as much rebuilding as the Specials, so you're likely to get whatever they happen to have.
Old February 19, 2013, 02:49 PM   #10
chris in va

Pretty sure the CMP is out of WW2 Garands at this point, save for some uber-expensive Correct grades or whatever. More than likely yours will be Korea vintage.

I went to the North Store three years ago and got a Field Grade for $495. Wanted a Service but someone came in the first hour and bought every single one, including all the Carbines. Mine is dated to June '45 with a '53 barrel.
Old February 19, 2013, 03:23 PM   #11
cobra81

There are still WWII rifles to be had in the stores. It just depends on what they happen to have on the racks the day you are there. Several 6-digits were spotted (and purchased) at North Store within the last month.
Old February 19, 2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
I'm going with a service Grade Springfield. Also ordering 200 rds of Greek M2 Ball and the M5A1 Bayonet. Anyone have any suggestions for the sticky note to attach to the order form? I've heard CMP is very good about getting customers what they want, I'd like to get one built during WWII and planned on asking for one in the sticky.
Typically the CMP is pretty good about honoring sticky note requests, provided they can find a rifle that meets your request within the current crate they are pulling rifles from. When I ordered my Service Grade Springfield last year, I included a sticky asking for a WW2 serial number and USGI walnut stock. I also included a small donation to the CMP to "grease the wheels." Less than a month later, I received this beautiful 1944 Springfield with a new CMP walnut stock. I couldn't have been more pleased!

Quote:
Pretty sure the CMP is out of WW2 Garands at this point, save for some uber-expensive Correct grades or whatever.
This is not exactly true.

Ordering a Winchester-made rifle was a guaranteed way to get a WW2 serial number (since all the Winchesters were manufactured during WW2), and the the CMP is out of Field Grade and Service Grade Winchesters for sale via mail-order.

However, it is still quite possible to get a Springfield Armory rifle (Service Grade Special) with a WW2-serialed receiver via mail order, though there is no guaranteed way to get one, outside of hand-picking from one of the two CMP stores.

As far as the OP is concerned, there is no harm in requesting a WW2 receiver, and there is a possibility your request will be honored. And there is no reason to be dissapointed if you end up with a Korean War-era rifle, as these rifles tend to be in great shape, tend to be better finished than the WW2 rifles, and they incorporate all the product improvements that came during the Garand's service life. They are just as desirable as the WW2 Garands.

In short, ordering a Garand from the CMP is always a win-win situation!

Last edited by Fishbed77; February 19, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old February 19, 2013, 05:05 PM   #13
Orlando

Springfield Service Grades ahve been sold out for a few weeks
HRA SG are still availble
No WRA Garands
Old February 19, 2013, 06:23 PM   #14
chris in va

Color me (semi) corrected. It was my understanding the CMP was well into the Korean conflict Garands at this point. I guess there are a few still floating around.
Old February 19, 2013, 08:03 PM   #15
stu925

That's what I get for filling out the paperwork in advance, I was unaware that they had sold out of service grade Springfields so an H&R it will have to be. Thanks for pointing that out.

Stu
Old February 19, 2013, 09:55 PM   #16
jaughtman

Ironically....

I just got my membership and all in order and am about to embark on ordering me a Service HR. I live about an hour from the South store, but the last time I went (4 weeks ago), they had no Service Grade ones....period. Guess I will have to order.

J
Old February 21, 2013, 09:24 PM   #17
stu925

Paperwork went out yesterday so now the waiting begins. Anyone got any good Garand links to keep me busy? Guess I'll need to dig out the .30-06 dies and get them cleaned up and ready to go to. I don't supposed anyone's got a load using IMR 4350 that duplicates the M2 ball load?

Stu
Old February 21, 2013, 11:16 PM   #18
DATL

Fishbed77 that's an awesome looking Garand.
Old February 22, 2013, 02:30 PM   #19
hodaka

stu - you don't want to use the 4350 for the Garand. Too slow and the pressure curve is not appropriate for the M1. Use nothing slower than 4064. That is what I use although many use 4895, varget, benchmark, etc. I use a lot of 4350 in my bolt guns but most advise against it due to potential to damage the op rod.
Old February 22, 2013, 07:02 PM   #20
stu925

Thanks hodaka, I'll keep that in mind, I was looking to use the 4350 because I have it on the shelf already. I load .280 Rem with the 4350 and thought it might work well in the Garand, guess I'll have to look into another powder.

Stu