The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 25, 2012, 07:38 PM   #26
Nathan

So, how to guess if a mag will work ought to be the name of this thread.

LIPS:
Full tapered lips like USGI are the best controlled round feed mag, but they tend to not feed JHP's well. I think this is because they don't let the nose of the round hit the frame ramp at the right angle and/or it hits the barrel hood wrong.

Wadcutter lips allow the round to teeter on the ramp and hit the frame well. Then it pops up under the extractor. Spring power matching and feed speed must be well matched or you will have uncontrolled round feeding.

Hybrid lips tend to allow controlled round feeding like USGI with a earlier rim release like a wadcutter. This is pretty good, but the top round is not as well retained so aggressively ripping it out of a mag holder could cause the top round to move.

I like wadcutter is a good placde to start with hybrid a close second. Hybrid is a slightly improved feed stroke and maybe more reliable, if your gun needs it. Hybrid also never looses control during feed.

Followers:
Dimple - This is an early c/m which is said to be needed to keep the last round feeding as the mag springs wear.

Spring - Some have a spring to try to force a steeper feed angle for the last few rounds. This is said to be an improvement in feeding the last couple by angling them up and avoiding the weak spring nose dive which can occur on the last round or 2.

Plastic - Probably slows the last round through dissimilar material friction. Also, it is easier to mold an anti-tilt follower than stamp one.

Anti-tilt - Stops nose diving or random loaded case ejection as springs weaken.

Springs:
Really, good springs with a design which reduces set are the key to feed. Ever wonder why 7rd mags are the standard?

Bodies:
I like SS. SS basically never rusts. Because of this, they run with minimal lube. Minimal lube keeps the build up and cleaning down. It is also good to have a sturdy lip design so they do not bend when dropping them. Good welding is key to durability. Also, while thickness of the stampings are similar, some bodies seem more durable and less prone to cracking.

Bases:
Ideally, the base is removable for easy cleaning, but welded bases would be stronger. Trade offs! Last, adding a bumper adds weight to the base which improves ejection and should keep it from dropping on the lips.

So here are some simple recommendations:

SA SS 7rd mags - Dimple follower, I think the follower doesn't tilt, sturdy welded base, 7rd design doesn't wear out springs, etc. They can be had ne for like $15 sometimes and $8 - $10 used. If your gun doesn't feed with these, maybe you have a gunsmith issue.

Checkmate 8rd extended hybrid mags - Slightly improved feed geometry and slightly extended to reduce spring fatigue. Like $25 - 30

Wilson - Normal length 8rd mags. The springs wear out, but they will send new ones without question. Not a bad deal. . .lifetime springs vs ~ $7 - $10 per year(depends on usage) per mag. Oh yea, the followers seem to work, too.

There are many other good mags out there. Just be sure you are getting something more than a brand.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:57 PM   #27
AKsRul.e

MetalForm

http://www.metalform.us/collections/pistol-magazines

Midway and Brownells always have them in stock.
Old October 25, 2012, 08:59 PM   #28
Edward429451

Quote:
Just buy Wilson Combat mags and be done with it; they make the best 1911 magazines,
I think it was Last Man Standing that made me want to buy some extra mags. I bought 8, 8 round 47Ds and they all had problems in my Colt MK IV Series 80. Usually the next to last round double fed. Wilson was very nice about it and sent me 8 extra power springs for them. This fixed most of them but there are still a couple problematic ones.

I have an old 8 round Wilson Rogers mag that is flawless still.
I have an old 8 round Mag-Pac Magazine that is flawless also.
The original Colt 7 round Mag that came with my gun has never given me an issue and still carries the original spring. It gets shot less than the other Mags though.
Old October 26, 2012, 01:33 AM   #29
Dan31

Looks like I will be buy 2 more for HP's and 6+ for FMJ for practice.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:22 AM   #30
Skadoosh

Quote:
MLeake wrote: Some normally reasonable members are sounding like brand fanboys in this thread...
Interesting you would say this...especially when earlier in the thread you wrote:

Quote:
Once you find a make or two that work consistently, with the ammo you intend to use, then buy a bunch of those.
Old October 26, 2012, 08:31 AM   #31
propforce

I bought Wilson 47D magazines for my Springfield because I read how we'll they work, but they jam up on me even with the FMJs.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:30 AM   #32
RickB

Hmmm. So, Wilsons either work every time, in every gun . . . or, they don't. Sounds like every other mag! I have one Wilson mag that's been loaded almost continuously for twenty years. It works great for that.
Old October 26, 2012, 01:20 PM   #33
MLeake

Skadoosh said:
Quote:
Quote:
MLeake wrote: Some normally reasonable members are sounding like brand fanboys in this thread...

Interesting you would say this...especially when earlier in the thread you wrote:

Quote:
Once you find a make or two that work consistently, with the ammo you intend to use, then buy a bunch of those.
and Rick B said:
Quote:
Hmmm. So, Wilsons either work every time, in every gun . . . or, they don't. Sounds like every other mag! I have one Wilson mag that's been loaded almost continuously for twenty years. It works great for that.
In response to Skadoosh, there is a big difference between saying experiment to find out what works for your gun and ammo combo, then buy a lot of those, and BUY WILSON, END OF STORY!!! If you can't discern that difference, I don't know what to tell you.

In response to Rick B, I am not knocking Wilson, per se. Like I said, 47D and ETM worked just fine in my old CBOB. They just didn't work in my Colt or my Baer; I never tried them in my Hunter. When a buddy of mine bought the CBOB, I threw in a box full of Wilsons, free, since I had no other gun in which they worked, but I knew they worked well in the CBOB. (Note: I find it really ironic the Wilson's did not work well in my Baer, because Baers ship with Wilson mags... My Baer loves Tripp Cobras, and CMC Shooting Stars and PowerMags... all my guns like the USGI for hardball.)
Old October 26, 2012, 02:26 PM   #34
bikerbill

I have a number of Wilson Combat mags and I love them, have never had a failure ... I also have a few Tripp mags and one made by Wolff, which work fine ... of course, I've never had any factory mags fail either ... not sure what that all says ...
Old October 26, 2012, 07:23 PM   #35
KyJim

The closest I have come to 100% reliable mags are Checkmates. They make Colt's "OEM" mags. The limited number of MecGars I have used have been good. Wilsons, mostly good. I do have one 1911 that hates Wilson.

I would start with Checkmates as they are reasonably priced and go from there.
Old October 28, 2012, 10:07 AM   #36
ripper327

I used to swear by Wilson 47d in my Colt 1991 ORM, but had a couple of them feed fail earlier this year. I picked up a GI Scovill mag at a show on a lark but the thing turned out to be the best magazine I've ever used with it -- perfect feed and drops free every time, better even than new Colt factory mags (which I prefer to the Wilsons now as well).

That's my experience anyway; does anyone have any comment on WWII mags for use now? I got another Scovill but would love to add Risdon and/or Little unless folks have something bad to say about them.
Old October 28, 2012, 05:23 PM   #37
Hawg

Quote:
does anyone have any comment on WWII mags for use now?
I love the WWII mags. I had eight that my dad had for his Remington Rand that got stolen and they fed everything. Unfortunately they got stolen with my 1911. I use CMC Shooting Stars now and they perform just as well as the WWII mags did.
Old October 28, 2012, 08:52 PM   #38
SFW

I run Wilson 47D 8 round mags and good old USGI 7 round mags with no issues. The only mags that I have ever had an issue with were the Taurus mags my PT1911 came with.
Old October 29, 2012, 04:12 PM   #39
RickB

Quote:
That's my experience anyway; does anyone have any comment on WWII mags for use now? I got another Scovill but would love to add Risdon and/or Little unless folks have something bad to say about them.
I have eight or ten of them, but never use them. Those Scovills run 100% in all my guns, but one gun doesn't like the Risdons (kidding ).
Old October 29, 2012, 06:49 PM   #40
TheFlash

I found some Chip McCormick PowerMags (8-round) on sale and picked up a couple.
No issues at all either any of them - 100% reliable!

-Mike
Old October 30, 2012, 11:31 AM   #41
Patriot86

I second (and Third?) Wilson Combat Magazines.
My S&W 1911PD came with two factory mags, I think they are Check-Mates.
One gave me constant failures( Factory replaced in kind, works OK now) the other intermintant failures. Every single feeding related failure with my 1911PD (about 4 or 8 out of 1000 rounds fired) had been with those two magazines.

I also have 5 different Wilson Combat 8 roung magazines, I have not had a SINGLE feeding related failure while using the WC mags. I have only had one stove pipe while using the WC Magazines and that was before the factory replaced the ejector.

Buy a couple of Wilson Combat magazines and see how they hold up. If all is good then buy some more.