The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 5, 2005, 08:22 PM   #1
Runsalone

Sig carry questions (first post)

Hi all, Hopefully Im posting this in the right forum. It has alot to do with two specific autos, but its more about the reasons of one or the other for "tactical" reasons.

Here's my dilemma, I have had a Sig 226 several times now, its the gun I keep going back to.... it just fits. Taxes came back and now its time for me to aquire another carry piece, as my wife has gotten her permit of lately and will be inheriting my Glock-19 (she loves it).

Iv convinced myself that I should give the 228 a try because I need this to be a CCW. I used the 226 for this before. HK , Glock, and Sig are the brands I trust to this chore, I shoot them all well so Im going with Sig based on "feel" (And the SWWEEEEEEEEEET!!!! factor )

........AAAAAANNNYYYYWAY having a hard time explaining this exactly...
I guess the question is... since the 228 is only a BIT shorter in the slide (the lesser of worries) and a VERY BIT shorter in height (the REAL concealment issue, yeah??) and slightly less in the weight department, AND since I'll probably have to dress around it much like the full size, Why shouldnt I go with the old trusty 226 again, and just keep the thing this time?? Of course that BIT Height Weight and length add up to a tad more comfortable to carry. Seems either way has sufficient reasons to go with it, and I see the viablness of each.

Seems the little extra weight, and sight radius of the 226 would pay off by being a little more accurate, and help with more rapid follow up shots.

Is there some reasons of one over the other for this? Ive been going back and forth in my head with this and I just cant think of anything to sway one way or the other and ive wore out my Wife talking about it..... Any thoughts.....??

ps Pretty long winded for a first post eh?
Old May 5, 2005, 09:08 PM   #2
USP45usp

Runsalone,

First, Welcome to TFL

Second. Dude, you are now starting a long, long journey. You can take one of two roads:

1. Down size the caliber and/or gun that you wish to carry because it's "too hard" to CCW (dress around it, you can't get it "just right" on the first, second, etc.. try so you give up) and then you give up without finding out what fits and what doesn't.

2. You pick the gun you wish to CCW and you find your way of carrying it. I carry a full size Kimber Pro-Carry (well, it's 4.5" barrel instead of the normal 5" but my carry rig will carry both) and I have carried a full sized USP .45. All with comfort. I couldn't find the right "rig" at first but instead of giving up on the gun and myself, I kept trying.

Many people may say for you to give up and go with something smaller, lighter, easier to carry. Yet, it's up to you to decide what YOU wish to carry and then work out how to carry it. I love my Kimber and the USP and I trust them to no end and, IMHO, I'm a dang good shot with each. I have many smaller guns that are easier to carry but I'm not as good a shot and I have practiced with them. To me, the little guns just don't give me the room for error (as in, when TSHTF and your body defenses really kick in) that I have with the full sized guns (as in, you aim COM and hit about .5" from POA).

I'm also a "shaker"(sp). I tremble (losing nerve control) and with the full size I can hit and hit well. With the smaller guns, unless the BG is right up on me, my hits are good but not what I want. You have to take in your physical factors into mind also, there is no "one size fits all" answer to your question.

Good luck to you. If you like the 226 and you shoot well with it, then learn how to make it work for you.

I will give you some (to me) very important advice:

1. Don't buy cheap belts. Buy a good stiff belt. This will take up most of the weight where even a full metal pistol that weighs +++ozs doesn't feel as if it does.

2. Buy a good holster. Uncle Mikes (even though I like that company) isn't going to cut it. I actually use a cheap holster, a Galco, and I am looking at another that is more $$ but it doesn't have the cant. You may like a cant, I don't, I do better with a straight pull, some do better with a cant or even crossdraw.

The gun may cost you $500++ but it isn't going to do you proud if your carry rig cost you $49.95 out the door. You will need to spend the money on a good rig.

Honestly (and anyone here is free to steal this idea, become rich, and then please have pity on me and give me 10% of the profit) I wished that we had a shop where the person would do a fit and then build a carry rig, like one of them Tailors(sp) or something.

Wayne
Old May 6, 2005, 04:11 AM   #3
Nnobby45

The P228 is noticeably easier to carry than the P226. Save the latter for home defense (Sigarms, once again, has 20 rd. magazines). You might consider the P239. I carry one in 9mm quite often, as I do the P228.

The only problem with the P239/9mm is that the little woman will, without doubt, take a shine to it, so you might as well buy two of 'em.
Old May 6, 2005, 03:05 PM   #4
Runsalone

To me, the little guns just don't give me the room for error (as in, when TSHTF and your body defenses really kick in) that I have with the full sized guns (as in, you aim COM and hit about .5" from POA).

This is Kinda why I lean towords the full size versions myself, USP45.

Therin lies the delimma, the 228 isnt really a "small" gun
Ive carried a glock 19 and 23 for a few years before and they dont seem too small, (though I dont think Id want to go much smaller) It seems because of the design of the guns, you dont lose much going with the compact version with the G lock line. The baby Glocks IMHO are another matter. If I didnt like the feel of the Sigs better I would stay with my 19, or eh..... Buy another one after my wife steals it. I might lean towards the 17 though much for the same reasons, Im just not to worried about concealing a full size piece, though I understand and appriciate the values of a more compact weapon.

As far as the 239 goes I reallt like that one but weight\size\capacity wize Id have to stick with the model 19 over it. Ive got the models of pistols and caliber figured out pretty good that I like, for carry purposes. I wish I had the money though, cause I WOULD have a 239 "just because" its nice! (especially the two tone!!! )
Old May 6, 2005, 06:00 PM   #5
MoW

I'm in a similar position here in Fla. I'm looking at going to a smaller and lighter CCW from my P226. I love the P228 but it is still a bit heavy and not much difference. You said that the wife is getting the G19---why not get another. Other choices would be USPc, P239 or P225(single stack)---going smaller you have SA XD, CS9, Kahr for subcompact. I still haven't decided but need to try out the G19 and USPc to decide.
G19---210z
USPc---22.8 oz
P228---27oz
If you trust all 3 and they all feel "right" and you don't mind the non DA/SA of your P226 then logically and moniteraly the G19 makes the most sense.
Old May 6, 2005, 06:49 PM   #6
jonathon

Quote:
Honestly (and anyone here is free to steal this idea, become rich, and then please have pity on me and give me 10% of the profit) I wished that we had a shop where the person would do a fit and then build a carry rig, like one of them Tailors(sp) or something.
Camas
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old May 6, 2005, 09:49 PM   #7
Runsalone

AAAARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!! Im just gonna pick up the next dang one I see!!!

Ive spent months going back and forth over all this trying to get the best situation out of this temporary gun money........ I shouldve been working out with a new piece by now......lots of re-transition from Glock back to Sig (again)

.......Sigh..........sorry had to vent.

Thanks everyone, for the comments, keep em, coming!
Old May 6, 2005, 10:01 PM   #8
MoW

If you're intent on getting a SIG for CCW, then go with the P228 for sure. Smaller overall and lighter but with an identical grip to the P226. 2oz doesn't seem like alot but with the shorter length it becomes the better ccw option.
Old May 8, 2005, 03:32 PM   #9
NSWP226

The 229 .40 cal is worth a look also...
Old May 8, 2005, 04:38 PM   #10
Runsalone

The 229 .40 cal is worth a look also...

Weight wise I would definitely go with the 226, almost the same,
Youre right though, the entire Sig line is worth a look, something for everyone!!
Old May 8, 2005, 04:40 PM   #11
Runsalone

On a side note ,...how do you guys quote someone and have it get in that white box???
Old May 8, 2005, 06:07 PM   #12
Bullrock

Highlight and copy the print you want to highlite. Paste it to your post. Highlite it, and select the html box on the right (end). That places the quote tags your selected text (end box)

Good luck
Old May 9, 2005, 01:58 PM   #13
Runsalone

Quote:
Highlight and copy the print you want to highlite. Paste it to your post. Highlite it, and select the html box on the right (end). That places the quote tags your selected text (end box)

Good luck

There I think!

Cool thanks for that Bull rock! Much better!
Old May 9, 2005, 02:33 PM   #14
perception

As far as carry, I carry a sig 229 everyday, and in the SmartCarry holster you can't tell, and it is pretty comfortable once you figure the best position for it. That said, i really feel that size is not really a factor to consider when carrying. Go ahead and pick up that 226 if you feel comfortable shooting it.
Old May 10, 2005, 04:17 PM   #15
Runsalone

Well, the gun show is this weekend and Im really no further figuring out which way to go. (my fault not any of youres!!)

I WANT the 226 but common sense kinda leans me towards the 228 being the one I NEED. Carry wise ya know! I guess thats what Im gonna go looking for (hopefully I can find one after all the thinkin!) Im sure I wont be to dissapointed either way I coulda went but logic says I should give the 228 a fair shake. It feels the same as the 226 just a bit smaller, and lighter so I should shoot it O.K.

Thanks to all who responded for the help!!!! Gotta love this forum

For the next discussion......when I do get a 228 what should I shoot out of it for SD.... Gold dots or Triton High-Vel's........Im leaning towards the Gold dots...... (I gues everything is complicated!)
Old May 18, 2005, 07:39 PM   #16
Runsalone

Well I got the 228, ordered a comp tac pro under cover, in the process of dumping the trijicons for some sights that POI at combat range, and thinking of ordering some hogue grips (Rubber).

Put 200 rounds through it over last weekend but didnt do much group work cause the sights seem to be zeroed funny.

Cant wait to make the transition to the sig, and start carrying it in the new holster...(is it here yet..????) Have to post a range report once I do some accuracy work.

Whos got some good links\cool tricks\intresting mods\ammo-holster suggestions about this gun.

What king of groups do you guys get with yours????

NEW GUN
Old May 18, 2005, 08:05 PM   #17
wayneinFL

"It seems because of the design of the guns, you dont lose much going with the compact version with the G lock line. The baby Glocks IMHO are another matter."

Have you condsidered the baby glocks (26,27)? IMO they are 10 times easier to conceal IWB than the same gun with a full grip (19,23).

I'm not into the 9mm and 40 glocks but favor the 45 and 10mm glocks. In my experience, full size and compact don't shoot that much differently.

The glock 30 seemed a little awkward when I first bought it, but after shooting 5 or 6 matches, it grew on me. I have a glock 20 also. Although I like the idea of the 15 rounds of 10mm, and shoot the 20 a little better in a match, the glock 30 with the 10 rd. mag fits my hands really well and is easy to carry. As awkward as it seemed when I first bought it, it's become an all around sweet shooting handy little gun.
Old May 18, 2005, 09:59 PM   #18
IZinterrogator

It's a little late to talk up the baby Glocks since he already bought the Sig, don't you think?
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old May 19, 2005, 04:25 PM   #19
stephen426

Forget the P226 unless you get the stainless version. I got rid of my P245 because I got surface rusting just by leaving it in the box. This is absolutely unacceptable as sweating on the gun will cause it to rust much faster. I'm sure you have much better things to be doing than wiping down your gun constantly so it won't rust to pieces. If you want to carry a Sig, make sure it is a stainless model such as the P229. I think the P239's also have stainless slides. the alloy receivers won't give you any trouble.

I am 5'7" and 155 lbs. I can't carry a gun the size of the Sig P229 easily with clothes I can wear normally in the hot and humid Miami weather. That is why I switched to the Glock 26. With it's tenifer finish and polymer frame, it holds up to the elements very well. The small size allows me to shove it in my waist band at the 3 o clock position and pull my shirt over it. With loose fitting slacks, I can stick it in my pocket and place my wallet over the front of it to hide the outline. I hope this helps.