The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 12, 2001, 01:19 AM   #1
chiz45

Newbie Question on Powder

My cousin has given up reloading, and i have inherited all of his equipment. I believe most if not all of it is RCBS. He gave me the powder mentioned above; i only plan on reloading .38s, 357s, and .45s. Is this powder good? He also has a ton of CCI small and large primers. And YES, i will review the manual carefully before i even take the equipment out of the box!
Old July 12, 2001, 02:00 AM   #2
Paul B.

Chiz45. You failed to mention what type of powder it was.
let us know and then we can answer you.
Paul B.
Old July 12, 2001, 08:34 AM   #3
chiz45

Damn, i always seem to do that!

The powder is "Winchester Ball Powder 231"

Sorry about that!
Old July 12, 2001, 09:21 AM   #4
LIProgun

Win 231 is an excellent powder for .38 Special and .45 ACP in light (target) and standard loads, IMO. You can use it for .357 Magnum in light (target) and mid-power loads, but to duplicate magnum velocities you should use a slower burning powder like Win 296, Alliant 2400, or AA #9.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old July 12, 2001, 12:23 PM   #5
Bogie

Did he give you any manuals - STICK TO THE LOADS.

231 is a fast powder, and will work well for target loads. HOWEVER, it is VERY EASY to double charge a case, which tends to really bleep up your day.

Only use data for 231. Not for something similar... Or close... Or just like...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old July 12, 2001, 02:10 PM   #6
chiz45

there are some books that he provided along with the stuff. I figure what do THEY know, i'll fill the cases to the rim, cram the bullet in and have at it. I'll get you all the results later.

Just kidding. Reloading actually scares the hell out of me. But I do want to learn, and want to do it right. Thanks for the insight!
Old July 12, 2001, 07:27 PM   #7
Sisco

I use lots of W231 in 9mm, 38spcl, .357 mag & 45acp, great powder.
Read all the books first. Go to your local library and see if they have any and read them too. The Lyman's 47th is a good one, so are the Speer and Modern Reloading by Richard Lee.
Reloading is safe and fun if you'll always remember: NO distractions while reloading. Double check everything.
Old July 14, 2001, 07:05 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

Wearing safety glasses when loading is MANDATORY.
Old July 16, 2001, 01:22 PM   #9
seadog

Ditto on the suggestions on reading a good manual. You have NO Business starting reloading until you have done so. This is one hobby where you cannot ignore the safety warnings. Once aware of the pitfalls, remain somewhat "scared" during each loading session and recheck your charge weights and do not have ANY distractions while loading. It's kind of like riding a motorcycle, it's a lot of fun, but once you think you "know it all", that's when you will get "bit"...I've been bit by both...
Old July 16, 2001, 08:20 PM   #10
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Well said, - - -

Everyone. Especially seadog's reference to being bit by both handloading and motorcycles.

chiz45-- Welcome to the wild and wonderful world of handloading.

Yup, W-231 is a good versatile powder. Just don't try to make it do things for which it was not designed. I load a lot of it in .45 ACP and .38 SPL. The only trick is to stay within the limits set in the manuals. Neither of these calibers is a magnum, and they are both a lot of fun using loads within standard specs.

The .357, on the other hand, IS a high pressure number, so, once you get beyond low-end loads, please obtain a more suitable powder than 231, and exercise due caution.

Best regards,
Johnny