The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 26, 2016, 10:21 PM   #1
baddarryl

Handgun in DC and Maryland?

Hi all. I am a NC resident and going to DC for a couple of days. We will be staying in Maryland. With my CC permit I am fine in VA, but not in DC or VA. Most I have read about is related to traveling though those areas and having the gun locked in the trunk in locked container separate from the ammo for FOPA compliance.

My question is does this still apply if the weapon is in the state for a couple of days? How about transporting to the hotel room and locking it up there while checking the sights? Damn I am glad I live here. Thank you.
Old June 26, 2016, 10:38 PM   #2
TXAZ

Both MD an DC have shown (IMHO) an unreasonable approach to the 2nd amendment and common sense. Based on your description, you're tempting fate. Most likely there won't be a problem. On the other hand, if you do get stopped in MD or DC, it may be the most expensive event of your life in multiple ways.
Good luck.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 26, 2016, 10:47 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddarryl
My question is does this still apply if the weapon is in the state for a couple of days? How about transporting to the hotel room and locking it up there while checking the sights?
The FOPA starts out with the requirement that the firearm(s) be legal at the place where the journey begins AND in the place where the journey ends. If you cannot possess your firearm(s) legally in DC or MD, the FOPA simply doesn't apply, so forget it.

The FOPA, as you noted, applies when passing through a hostile jurisdiction. Your trip is not passing through DC and MD, it is a trip TO DC and MD.

Leave the guns at home.
Old June 27, 2016, 05:34 AM   #4
baddarryl

Decision made unfortunately. Thanks guys.
Old June 28, 2016, 10:46 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

Wise decision.
Old June 30, 2016, 09:59 AM   #6
baddarryl

Well we survived the Metro without incident. Rode it for two days. Sure don't like being unarmed though with the family in tow. Thanks everyone.