The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 8, 2012, 08:03 PM   #1
coyota1

When did Bushnell make the "Scope Chief" series?

I would like to know when Bushnell made the Scope Chief series scopes. I am exploring the idea of a vintage scope for my 722, but I don't want to get something too antiquated.
Old October 8, 2012, 08:48 PM   #2
PetahW

It'd be hard to find a scope "too antiquated" for your rifle, which model was started being made prior to the time that scopes first became widely popular in the US (early-mid 1950's).

Your rifle was made between 1948-61 IIRC, and the Scopechief in the mid-70's.

Old October 8, 2012, 08:55 PM   #3
coyota1

OK, I meant too antiquated for a scope, period. I think the rifle was made in 55, but the scope is made in the 70's? I like the looks of old Weavers K series, and similar, but I don't want to short change myself with inferior optics just to get the look.
Old October 8, 2012, 09:03 PM   #4
PetahW

Just about everyone I knew that had a Remington 721/722 in the 50's & 60's had a steel tubed Weaver K-series on it.

Old October 9, 2012, 08:25 AM   #5
old roper

here is something on Scope Chief

Dave Bushnell got into the scope business in 1948, with 400 Japanese binoculars he thought he could sell in the U.S. Alas, many orders were canceled when a shipping strike held up delivery. With his last $200, Dave bought a small ad in Sports Afield—and sold 54 binoculars for $648. It proved to be the boost he needed. His first year as an optics importer brought in almost $150,000. By 1960, more than 18,000 dealers worldwide carried Bushnell products. Three years later he introduced a Scopemaster riflescope line: 2.5X, 4X and 6X models with internal adjustments and coated optics. Renamed ScopeChief, the series improved to emerge as ScopeChief II in 1965. A forward prism enabled the reticle to remain fixed in the second focal plane. A “Command Post” gave you the choice of crosswire or post.
NRA Life Member
Old October 9, 2012, 08:36 AM   #6
coyota1

Well, this scope says ScopeChief, I don't see a "II" anywhere on it, but I'm only looking a a pic. I don't have the gun yet, I am having it shipped. Hopefully by the end of the week. The problem is it is a 4x. A 222 needs a 3x9 to take full advantage of it's range, although I wouldn't mind a fixed 6x Weaver, or something similar if the quality of the optics were up to par.
Old October 9, 2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Lloyd Smale

ive got a couple 2.5x8 scopecheifs left I used to buy them all the time back in the 70s and 80s. They were about as good as you could buy back then. baush and lomb made there glass and coatings. They still arent all that bad by todays standards opticaly. At least there still competive against scopes in the 100-200 dollar range they werent really a cheap scope in the day. I think i used to pay a 100 bucks for them back in the late 70s which would probably equate to about a 3 or 400 dollar scope today. The two i have left have served me well for many trouble free years and even have seen time on some heavy kicking guns.
Old October 9, 2012, 03:34 PM   #8
coyota1

I like the "vintage" look for the 722, but 4x is not quite enough scope for the 222, however, I can see quite a bit at 300 yrds with it. I would be interested in a 2.5 x 8 if I run across one. Especially since they were a higher end scope in their day as you stated.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:22 PM   #9
coyota1

Quote:
A forward prism enabled the reticle to remain fixed in the second focal plane
old roper, I now have the rifle, and the scope and it says "Scope Chief" only. I notice the reticle is slightly off center. Is this scope adjusted by moving the cross hair? I plan on going to the bench soon, but this weekend looks like wind and rain.
Old October 12, 2012, 10:36 PM   #10
MOshooter65202

My Dad has a Remington 721 280 Rem. which he bought new in the late 50s or early 60s,it still has the first scope a Bushnell Scope Chief that he bought when he purchased the rifle.
The scope has what they called a "command post" a thicker vertical post from the bottom to center of the crosshairs,the command post could be adjusted out of view for finer precision shooting with just the fine crosshairs. This scope would be the correct "Age Era" for a Remington 721 or 722
Old October 13, 2012, 12:55 AM   #11
coyota1

I've heard of this command post reticle. Mine has just the fine crosshair. I did mess with the adjustments, and the reticle does move with adjustment. I might just keep it on the rifle even being 4x. I can see quite a bit down range.
Old October 29, 2013, 01:36 AM   #12
jmstr

I know: necroposting.

Sorry. It's relevant.

Do all ScopeChief II have the II on the side?

I have a ScopeChief with the command post, but it doesn't have the II on the side.

I have another ScopeChief with command post on the way, but the pictures don't show a II next to the name.

Both are 4x32mm, for mid-50s Savage 99s [.300 and .308]. Period correct.

So, did any pre-ScopeChief IIs have the command post? Do all of the IIs have II on the side?

Trying to figure this out.

I like more power in scopes, but a 4x is a decent hunting scope for up to 200-250 yards. My longer shots would be on a Mauser, with an 8-32x50 scope.

I also noticed the reticle seemed off-center on one of them, but then I noticed the front base on one of my model 99s seems to have been drilled 'just a little off-center'. It is adjustable, but still not perfectly aligned.

Fun rifles and these scopes work well enough to bring meat: just need more power for punching paper to attempt MOA improvements.
Old October 29, 2013, 08:54 AM   #13
old roper

jmstr, I would guess change to the ScopeChief II was by model or serial # on the scope.
NRA Life Member
Old October 29, 2013, 01:26 PM   #14
Scorch

I have a 1960s Weaver V7 scope if you are interested.
Old October 30, 2013, 02:19 AM   #15
Been there

'' I now have the rifle, and the scope and it says "Scope Chief" only. I notice the reticle is slightly off center. Is this scope adjusted by moving the cross hair? I plan on going to the bench soon, but this weekend looks like wind and rain.''

The recticle is in the first ocular plane , so you see the cross hair move, as opposed to the second ocular plane where you don't see the movement, even though the adjustment is the same. I had one of these & it was very reliabe, I got it in 1969 & only sold it in the late 80s.