The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 17, 2013, 04:58 AM   #1
rajbcpa

Boston: "We have gun powder purchase laws here"

I live in NY and traveled to Mass. on business a few years ago. I tried to buy powder, primers, bullets and brass at a sporting goods store - NO DEAL.

In Mass. you need a state issued ammo purchase license to buy these items.

As a result of the events of this week in Boston, I assume this will become a federal law now.

The gun-grabbers will stop at nothing!
Old April 17, 2013, 05:22 AM   #2
North East Redneck

Its not actually an ammo license. Its one of the three types of gun permits that the state issues. Any of the three will allow you to purchase ammo or parts to make your own. You need a license to buy lead round balls here.

Last edited by North East Redneck; April 17, 2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Dave P

No license required for a pressure cooker???
Old April 17, 2013, 06:50 AM   #4
csmsss

N.E. Redneck - that's a purchase license, correct? Is it also required in order to possess ammunition or ammunition components? In other words, if you drove to another state and stocked up with ammo and reloading components, then drove back home, would you be breaking the law if you didn't have that license?
Old April 17, 2013, 07:17 AM   #5
FlyFish

Quote:
that's a purchase license, correct? Is it also required in order to possess ammunition or ammunition components? In other words, if you drove to another state and stocked up with ammo and reloading components, then drove back home, would you be breaking the law if you didn't have that license?
Purchase or possession - so yes, you would be breaking the law if you purchase ammo or components here in NH (for example) and then return to Massachusetts, unless you have the appropriate license. For that reason, some shops in NH, particularly those near the state line, will ask for proof of NH residency or the correct Mass license when selling ammo, even though they're not legally required to.

The statute is Chapter 140, Section 131 of the Mass. General Laws.
Old April 17, 2013, 07:54 AM   #6
tulsamal

So I guess this means the law didn't deter the bad guys in Boston?

This is my shocked face!

Next you will tell me that only the law abiding are affected by such laws....

Gregg
Old April 17, 2013, 07:57 AM   #7
csmsss

Quote:
Purchase or possession - so yes, you would be breaking the law if you purchase ammo or components here in NH (for example) and then return to Massachusetts, unless you have the appropriate license. For that reason, some shops in NH, particularly those near the state line, will ask for proof of NH residency or the correct Mass license when selling ammo, even though they're not legally required to.

The statute is Chapter 140, Section 131 of the Mass. General Laws.
So, when that law passed, they created an entire new class of criminals (those possessing ammunition components without a license)? Sweet!
Old April 17, 2013, 08:20 AM   #8
Patriot86

Unless a federal permit to purchase ammo is passed this will change nothing. Just makes the process of extracting the powder from live cartridges more expensive, time comsuming and generally difficult. Honestly though you can make many other powerful explosives from household items sold at any Walmart or Hardware store. Sad to say, if there is a will there is a way.
Old April 17, 2013, 08:25 AM   #9
tulsamal

Quote:
Honestly though you can make many other powerful explosives from household items sold at any Walmart or Hardware store. Sad to say, if there is a will there is a way.
"Back in the day," you had to scrounge around to find the Anarchist's Cookbook or Army demo manuals. But with the internet today, the information is right there on your screen. It wouldn't surprise anybody if it turns out the Boston bombers downloaded the "how to" information on bomb making from the internet. Sometimes the bad guys use our freedoms to harm us; doesn't mean we are willing to give up those freedoms.

Gregg
Old April 17, 2013, 08:25 AM   #10
NoSecondBest

After the Oklahoma City bombing they started looking at large fertilizer purchases all over the country. I was wondering why they didn't figure out that gunpowder was an explosive. I'm waiting now for them to limit or restrict loading components. It's going to happen and I think soon.
Old April 17, 2013, 08:29 AM   #11
tulsamal

Quote:
Unless a federal permit to purchase ammo is passed this will change nothing. Just makes the process of extracting the powder from live cartridges more expensive, time comsuming and generally difficult.
It isn't like it is some huge state surrounded by a mote. Pulling cartridges for smokeless powder would be far less efficient than just driving a few hundred miles to buy "whatever."

Unlike some previous bombers (OKC, earlier World Trade Center bombings) these guys didn't get caught because of some stupid oversight shortly after the event. Maybe they were just lucky but it's possible they are actually smarter than the average bear. People like that probably didn't sit around taking apart cartridges. Very well may not be from the state at all.

Gregg
Old April 17, 2013, 08:33 AM   #12
csmsss

It does beg the question - at what point does the rational person begin to understand that it is impossible to remove any and all potentially dangerous objects from the world?
Old April 17, 2013, 08:36 AM   #13
tulsamal

Quote:
I'm waiting now for them to limit or restrict loading components. It's going to happen and I think soon.
There was a lot of talk about putting taggants in powder.

The real reason such restrictions haven't been put in place is that smokeless powder isn't an explosive. It burns, doesn't explode. It is very difficult to make a true bomb with any real power from smokeless powder. Easier with the old fashioned black powder. Which all that white smoke suggests was used here.

With all the wars around the world and all the various terrorist groups, it isn't that hard to get your hands on some kind of military grade explosives. (Look at all the foreign created drugs that are sold on the street.) Even if we are talking about hand grenades or 40mm rifle grenades. Your explosive velocity goes WAY up. The authorities are much more worried about bad guys smuggling in explosives than with some guy in his basement with a couple pounds of Bullseye.

The rules are already different for black powder than smokeless. And there are alternatives to true black powder.... any changes in the laws would probably go that direction.

Gregg
Old April 17, 2013, 08:38 AM   #14
dahermit

Quote:
After the Oklahoma City bombing they started looking at large fertilizer purchases all over the country. I was wondering why they didn't figure out that gunpowder was an explosive.
There are "High Explosives", and "Low Explosives". Gun powders are not High Explosives in that they yield less explosive power than High Explosives (Plastic explosive, Dynamite, TNT, etc.) and therefore are not very efficient in producing bombs. Nevertheless, anti-gun emotionalism will likely produce a move to ban, control, eliminate, license them in light of the recent bombing, if it turns out that gun powder was used in the bombing.
Old April 17, 2013, 08:40 AM   #15
tulsamal

Quote:
at what point does the rational person begin to understand that it is impossible to remove any and all potentially dangerous objects from the world?
Exactly. I have a 40 x 50 shop building that has all kinds of interesting farm equipment in it. Also my reloading stuff. I've told both my kids over the years that the most dangerous "never play with" stuff in there is the gasoline. Several five gallon plastic gas cans are always in there. Gas and diesel and kerosene are available anywhere without anybody even glancing at you. Few additives and some ingenuity and you have something far more dangerous. It was a guy with gasoline that killed all those people in a night club years ago.

Gregg
Old April 17, 2013, 08:53 AM   #16
Evan Thomas

Let's not go any farther down the road of discussing recipes for explosives. Thank you.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:17 AM   #17
sundog

tulsamal got it right. As I was reading this thread, I'm thinking 'gasoline'.

Walk up to a pump, put in a card - or better yet go inside and put 10 bucks on pump 2, fill a can (EPA, and several other alphabet agencies, approved, but of course), walk away, and voila --- bomb material. Maybe some diesel, and all that styrofoam you've been saving from all that junk you get from electronic stores and shipped in off the internet.

How stupid it is too try to restrict all these products that can hurt people.

Bottom line is, 'do a crime - do the time'. A lot of time, severely, and swiftly to justice.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:39 AM   #18
rajbcpa

I have seen many news reports that say the investigators believe that smokeless gun powder was used in Boston.

When the video is played there is a large cloud of white smoke, so I was assuming it was black powder too.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:48 AM   #19
jimpeel

The ridiculous has begun.

How anyone equates a bombing with firearms and the Second Amendment is beyond me. Perhaps a Mohron might.

SOURCE

Quote:
Actor blames Boston attack on gun culture: ’2nd amendment must go’
4:06 PM 04/16/2013

Actor and comedian Jay Mohr waded into the gun debate on Twitter after Monday’s deadly terrorist attacks at the Boston Marathon.

“What bothers me most about today is that we’re getting used 2 it. ENOUGH. 2nd amendment must go. Violence has 2 stop. Culture MUST change,” the Jerry Maguire actor tweeted Monday night.

<MORE>

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old April 17, 2013, 10:18 AM   #20
mayosligo

Boston: "We have gun powder purchase laws here"

Strange that these experts could suggest that gunpowder would be used. They know it was not or they are just being puppeteered.
Old April 17, 2013, 10:21 AM   #21
rajbcpa

Gun-grabber Mitt Romney signed the Mass ammo purchase restrictions into law....

I suspect we would be loosing our gun rights if Mitty was in the white house...

It was a very bad choice in November....
Old April 17, 2013, 01:01 PM   #22
Bart Noir

Will Boston Bombing increase restrictions on BP?

The title says it all.

At this time, I haven't seen that the actual explosives used in the bombs were or were not BP.

If it was BP (lots of white smoke on the scene, after all), I fear hysterical laws and regulations that will further restrict the buying of BP.

Am I being prescient or ridiculous?

Bart Noir
Old April 17, 2013, 01:20 PM   #23
woodnbow

Let's hope not...

But I wouldn't bet against restrictions... Hell, at some point I fully expect to have to produce a card to purchase ammo or components.
Old April 17, 2013, 01:38 PM   #24
Pahoo

I hope I'm wrong !!

Quote:
If it was BP (lots of white smoke on the scene, after all), I fear hysterical laws and regulations that will further restrict the buying of BP.
I too had these thoughts and have seen enough BP smoke to be suspicious. I too fear that it will have some effect. It's only a matter of time and attention before the gun grabbers sink their fangs into this one. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 17, 2013, 01:39 PM   #25
mykeal

Quote:
Am I being prescient or ridiculous?
Yes.

Wait a month and we might actually have some reliable information by then. I said, "might".