The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 14, 2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Rachen

Wider "Rogers & Spencer" type triggerguard for a 1858 Pietta?

Does anyone commercially make a wider triggerguard for the Pietta 1858 revolver?

The stock triggerguard is nice, but when I am wearing heavy winter gloves it is hard to put my finger in there without touching the trigger, and when my finger goes in there, the hammer is 99% of the time cocked and ready to fire. And with 400+ foot-pounds of energy inside waiting to be released, touching the trigger is not what I want to do.

Actually, the original 1858s HAD wide triggerguards, I've seen pictures of the old buckaroos who carried them I think they look more rugged and sightly that the brass ones used on the Piettas

I would like it if there is a "Rogers & Spencer" style guard available, in blued. Otherwise I might have to machine my own from some spring steel stock that I have.
Old November 14, 2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Captainkirk

I'm not aware of one. If you were to cast and machine your own to fit, I would think there might be a small cottage industry available to you for those who have the same problem.
Just a thought.......
Old November 14, 2012, 10:39 PM   #3
mykeal

Why not just get a Rogers & Spencer? It's a better gun.
Old November 15, 2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Andy Griffith

I don't know if "better" is a good comparison of one over the other.

Both have advantages and drawbacks...

The R&S does have a bit longer grip, heavier frame, larger arbor, but the short action and the lack of lead into the cylinder notches can make the cylinder skip chambers if actioned briskly- which is a major drawback IMHO. The high hammer and position of it doesn't lend it well for one-handed operation for quick firing either.

In the Remington, the arbor is captive, it is easier to manipulate one-handed, parts and cylinders are much more available and generally cheaper, and it is solid frame.

Both guns are good ones- just personal preference.
Old November 15, 2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Bear River

The R&S has a smaller center pin or arbor. The R&S has a larger cylinder Boss to retard fouling. The R&S has chamfered chamber mouths to accept the .457 bullets or RBs. The larger .457 swaged to a .453 gives a longer bearing surface allowing accuracy at higher veloicty than a Remington. The R&S has a much improved loading lever latch which Ruger used in the ROA. The very expensive R&S made by DPS is used by the International BP Shooting teams.
Old November 15, 2012, 04:26 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Rachen - I don't believe I've ever seen such an animal . . . but agree with you, it would be nice. I'm a thinking you might be firing up your machine tools on this one.

R & S versus Remington . . . . starting to sound like a steel versus brass discussion! LOL

I've got a Euroarms R & S and Remingtons . . . love 'em all . . . but I still love my '51 Navies the best!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 15, 2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Rachen

Quote:
Rachen - I don't believe I've ever seen such an animal . . . but agree with you, it would be nice. I'm a thinking you might be firing up your machine tools on this one.

R & S versus Remington . . . . starting to sound like a steel versus brass discussion! LOL

I've got a Euroarms R & S and Remingtons . . . love 'em all . . . but I still love my '51 Navies the best!
I am starting to make knives, still learning the basics and honing up, no pun intended, what metallurgy skills I already have, so I can definitely turn out some revolver parts as well once I get started under way.

Things like hand springs, bolt springs, etc, those things everybody needs from time to time.