The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 6, 2011, 09:43 PM   #1
308Gunner

Stag Arms & Other AR-15 Mfgs.

I've been snooping around several sites lately, getting ready to order my first couple parts for building an AR-15. I'm starting with the barrel, then working my way down through the upper, then lower, and finally all the accessories and whatnot.

I'm getting ready to commit to one manufacturer over another. Initially, I was going to go with a Rock River barrel and upper and a Bushmaster lower. However, when I was recently at a local gunshow, a couple of the gentlemen there mentioned a co. called Stag Arms, and that they were on par with Bushmaster, etc. I checked around their website, and they are a good deal cheaper than Rock River for the upper and lower. I am curious if anyone has experience with this co., good or bad.

I also stumbled into mention of a co. called Spike's Tactical, and also never heard of them before. Same as Stag, curious how their parts and reputation hold up. Their uppers/lowers are also rather more affordable.

Thanks for any input!

— George Mason
Old October 6, 2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Coach Z

You may also want to have a look at palmetto state armory, they're gaining a great reputation as an up and comer. I just purchased a Rock River complete rifle and couldn't be happier with the quality.
Old October 6, 2011, 11:40 PM   #3
308Gunner

I'll be sure to check 'em out. I've heard RRA is great, but just wherever I can save money

— George Mason
Old October 7, 2011, 06:36 AM   #4
7jinxed7

Stag and Spike's both have a good reputation. Spike's takes it a few steps further compared to some of the other AR manufacture's. This chart gives you idea of who puts more detail in their rifles. Spike's isn't listed in the charts but they do put alot of detail in their rifles. Personally I think Spike's or maybe a stock M&P15 would be my choice. Not to say that the rest are not good.
http://www.google.com/search?q=ar-15...ed=0CEUQsAQ4Cg

Last edited by 7jinxed7; October 7, 2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old October 7, 2011, 07:10 PM   #5
ozarkrecluse

I just did a build with an upper from Palmetto State Armory. I'm very pleased with it.
Old October 7, 2011, 10:08 PM   #6
Charlie98

Bushmaster is now owned by Cerebrus, parent company of DPMS, Remington, and, more recently, Marlin, among others. Marlin quality went down the toilet according to most since they have moved production from the old Marlin plant. I don't really know anything about Bushmaster's manufacturing, if it was moved or if QC suffered since it's aquisition, but I would probably pick another manufacturer based on what they have done to Marlin.

I have heard good things about Stag Arms and Spikes; if the price is right, I'm sure those would be fine. I bought a RRA completed upper and like it very much.

Also, if you are trying to save some loot, look in the classified at ARF.com or other places... I would look for new or like new take-off components that people have switched out.
Old October 12, 2011, 08:31 PM   #7
X_shooter

I love my stag 3L. I bought it complete. A few hundred rounds through it so far and no problems and I don't expect any. It met all of my needs along with being a lefty. My FFL found a deal far below MSRP and much better than the best retail.