The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 8, 2010, 10:20 PM   #1
blackdog_507

EOTech: worth the money? Alternatives?

I've not really ever been a huge fan of traditional red-dot sights, as I feel you lose the magnification, but don't really gain the quick target acquisition of open sights. However, I recently tried out an EOTech on a mock stock at the local gander mtn. store and I really liked it. Quick Target acquisition, adjustable brightness, and I really liked the reticle. My AR currently has a removable carry handle and and front sight, no optics. I'm SERIOUSLY considering buying this sight (or something similar), but they're so flipping expensive. I got a great deal on my Stag Model 1 ($700 + Shipping) and this sight is almost as much as the rifle! Can someone please explain to me why the EOTech is so expensive, why or why not its worth it, and if there are any cheaper QUALITY alternatives? Thanks for the help.
Old March 8, 2010, 10:27 PM   #2
essohbe

I think the real EOtechs are so expensive just because they can get away with selling them for that much, lol.

Does anyone have a good source to get a knock-off EOtech from? I've seen them in pictures and it would be going on a .22 so I don't really have to worry about it falling apart.
Old March 8, 2010, 11:15 PM   #3
Chinny33

Trijicon!
Proverbs 27:12
Old March 8, 2010, 11:36 PM   #4
88KEYS

I have 2 of them one on my Beretta Storm PX4 45 ACP, the other on my M-4, flat-top, they truly work great. I got them both with an LEO discount many places give them. I know what you mean about the cost, I have had rifles with the scope costing as much as the gun.

The difference from a standard red dot is major, but is it worth the money that one is clearly in the "eye of the beholder". The sight can move with changing your line of sight to the target, you can move it so the sight is stuck in the upper right corner. Like taking cover you do not expose as much of your body, if it is on a target it hits. I had the Storm at an LE range and one of the instructors a great shot was looking at it. I told him to give it a try and he was bouncing soda cans keeping them on the move. Then I had to take it back, he wanted to keep it he loved the sight.

That’s all I can say they cost but are great for fast action, both eyes open, even low light sights.
Old March 9, 2010, 12:21 AM   #5
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I got a great deal on my Stag Model 1 ($700 + Shipping) and this sight is almost as much as the rifle!
The 512 sells for less than $400 if you shop around. But I love mine and highly recommend them.

Here's one for $409 with free batteries and cover.
Old March 9, 2010, 12:25 AM   #6
KAK

The Trijicon Reflex is awesome. It is my favorite 0x sight for target acquisition. It never needs batteries and I know for a fact its tough as nails and waterproof. I accidentally let lots of nasty carbon runoff mixed with gun scrubber get all over it clouding it up. I simply got some dawn dish soap and turned the faucet on HOT and washed it off. Used the lens pen and its good as new.
Old March 9, 2010, 12:31 AM   #7
Stevie-Ray

Here's another alternative that I've never heard anything but good things about and it's half the price of the EOTech. I've yet to try one. Alternative.
Old March 9, 2010, 12:31 AM   #8
riggins_83

I have an Eotech 512 on a Bushmaster, it's been great. I don't mind the price, overall not that expensive, love the reticle and it looks great with a GG&G cover
Old March 9, 2010, 08:42 AM   #9
Tomac

1) Eotech is the only holographic optic currently available (yes, there are the older, cheaper Bushnells but they aren't as rugged and use non-std batteries) so any of the clones are just red-dot sights dressed-up to look like an Eotech.
2) I've used numerous Eotechs, Aimpoints & Trijicon Reflex's over the years and I much prefer the Eotech's circle-dot reticle. Not only am I generally faster on-target (especially when shooting from awkward positions w/sloppy cheekweld) but the bottom of the circle makes a great aiming point when shooting close-in and POA & POI don't yet coincide.
3) I love the Trijicon Reflex series (especially the new RX30/RX34 w/their huge FOV through the 42mm objective) but the reticle can be made to wash out under certain lighting conditions (like using a taclight at close range or aiming out a window into bright daylight from a dark room).
4) If all you want is a range toy then check out Primary Arms offerings: http://www.primaryarms.com/
5) If you want an optic for possible serious social use then stick w/those that are combat-proven like Aimpoints & Eotechs.
6) Lightly used Eotech 512's are available at the Equipment Exchange at ARFCOM for as little as $300.
7) I prefer the AA Eotechs as all the rest of my gear runs on AA's and this simplifies my battery logistics.
Bottom line: I think Eotechs are worth it for my needs (YMMV) as I prefer its greater speed & reticle usefulness to the Aimpoint's greater ruggedness & battery life.
Just MHO...
Tomac
STG-556 w/Eotech 512:

STG-556 w/Aimpoint CompM4:

Me running STG-556 w/Eotech 512 at a carbine class last summer:

Current STG-556 setup w/E4 optic rail, Eotech 517, Magpul MBUS, TK20 taclight & Levang compensator:
Old March 9, 2010, 08:53 AM   #10
SR420

I like the EOTech... it's reticle is awesome, but it sits up pretty high
and it's best suited to flat top rails that don't require a cheek riser.

Old March 9, 2010, 09:00 AM   #11
scottawil

I have an EOTECH 552 and I love it, but I'm not convinced they're worth the money. I've used an AIMPoint M68 Comp 2 extensively and felt it was just as good. I haven't used any of the cheaper alternatives out there yet so I don't know how reliable they are. If I had the cash to blow I'd buy a Trijicon ACOG with the reflex sight mount and either a Doctor or Trijicon reflex sight, but then again I could buy a couple more guns for that price.
Old March 9, 2010, 09:11 AM   #12
espnazi

Isn't the Bushnell holographic sight made by EOtech?
Old March 9, 2010, 09:31 AM   #13
CortJestir

I believe the Bushnells are made by EOTech.

Quote:
Can someone please explain to me why the EOTech is so expensive
As may have been mentioned, deals can be had if you look around. I picked up a 512 for $370, BNIB. Just be on the lookout for knock-offs if you go the auction/online route. Here's how to detect them.
Old March 9, 2010, 10:16 AM   #14
RT

If I could do it again, I'd get an Aimpoint H-1. Just because of the compactness and weight.
Old March 9, 2010, 10:39 AM   #15
Technosavant

They're expensive because they work and the zero doesn't drift (like can happen with el cheapo optics). The previously mentioned Bushnell is basically an EOTech 511 without the protective hood, but be sure to stock up on CR123 batteries.

There are a large number of EOTech variants, so be sure you're pricing out one that meets your needs- the ones with NV capability and the controls on the side (for easier use with a magnifier) are a lot more expensive than the more basic units. A 511 (uses two AA batteries) still isn't cheap in the mid $400 range, but you're talking a military quality optic. You don't price shop EOTechs against BSA or Famous Maker, you price shop them against Aimpoints (which are a bit more, but have much longer battery life) and Trijicons (tritium ain't cheap).

We're talking high end optics here- when you price a BMW or Mercedes against a Kia, there will be a huge price difference because what you are getting for the money is so different.
Old March 9, 2010, 10:42 AM   #16
full.tang.halo

@essohbe

rrages.com has a 522 clone for $100.
http://rrages.com/sight/552clone/index.htm

They deal in mostly stuff for .22 AR's and GSG-5/GSG522.
Old March 9, 2010, 10:46 AM   #17
flight954

Yes they are worth the money as is Aimpoint. I wouldn't buy a knock off. Save up and buy the real thing.

Tags
ar-15 , open sights , optics , red dot , tactical sight