The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 4, 2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Neil2470

Walther P99 AS vs. Sig P226 Elite Dark

I am looking for a new 9mm and have gone back and forth between many different guns. Recently I narrowed my search to the Walther P99 AS and the Sig P226 Elite Dark. The Sig is clearly more expensive than the Walther but that is not a factor. I know that a comparison of these two guns is hard because pretty much the only thing they have in common is caliber. I currently own a Sig P220 Elite and it has been nothing but good to me.

What I am really interested in is peoples experiences with either.

Thanks.
Old October 4, 2009, 01:12 PM   #2
rsxr22

Any plans for what your going to be using the pistol for? Just a collection/range gun or are you planning on carrying?
Old October 4, 2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Neil2470

It would be for range use/ collection piece. I currently don't have a carry permit, but even if I did, I am not sure I would carry either.
Old October 4, 2009, 02:56 PM   #4
rsxr22

hands down the Sig then. I love the P99, but for collection and range purposes the Sig is much superior. It will be more flat shooting because it's not polymer and Sig's are just plain sexier than any kind of polymer, well except HK
Old October 4, 2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Chris_B

I am in the market for either a P226 or P99 myself; I had a couple threads about this pistols last week that you might want to do a search under my username for

I am still undecided. I can get a used P226 for 750 or a used P99 for 525. I just don;t know. On one hand I like Walters, on the other I would like to get a SIG. Both have a bulletproof rep for reliability. I like the Walther's ergonomics and polymer is OK with me. But I just cannot quite make a decision yet. I am lening towards the Sig now...last week it was the P99.

You have a good problem to have Neil. Either way by all accounts you're getting a good pistol

re: Sexy...James Bond toted a P99 once or twice.
Old October 4, 2009, 03:30 PM   #6
HorseSoldier

For something I was going to carry, I'd pick the P99AS. As a collectible, whichever one floats your boat more -- as range guns both are good.
Old October 4, 2009, 03:54 PM   #7
jgcoastie

Quote:
It will be more flat shooting because it's not polymer
I'd love to see hard data to back up this claim... However I suspect it's just the same quibbling that's been said for years from those who refuse to accept improvement/change of any kind...

Do I think the Sig P226 is a better gun than the Walther P99? Yes, but not because of the frame material...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old October 4, 2009, 04:08 PM   #8
raven11

i honestly think those who can't decide end up owning both

i started my collection with a P99AS
great handgun, light , comfortable

then i wanted a da/sa hammer so i choose the SIG 228

either one i'll never sell ,and they are great to shoot
Old October 4, 2009, 05:16 PM   #9
rsxr22

chris b, i think you need to look around a little more for a sig. There are a few places online you cant CPO's and such for the same price as your quoting the P99. I would never pay more than $625 for a used Sig.

Go to SigForum.com and get on there classifieds
Old October 5, 2009, 07:59 PM   #10
Neil2470

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback, I am actually going to wait on those for now and go with an IWI Jericho 941 9mm in Steel.
Old October 6, 2009, 09:28 AM   #11
#18indycolts

The P99 has a better trigger, better ergos.
Old October 6, 2009, 02:41 PM   #12
rsxr22

jgcoastie

There is no shift in change for me, im 23 years old. I have 11 handguns and only 3 are steel or alloy, but it is just the truth. More weight=less felt recoil. I have been shooting in competition-USPSA,IPSC, and IDPA since i was 17 and am always looking for a bit of an edge or benefit from a gun. If weight, seemingly doesnt matter why do people use comp's on guns? If weight doesnt matter, how come when you add a tac-light onto a weapon, it shoots completely different?

I love polymer guns-Glocks, HK's and for many applications i like them a lot more such as for carry and also for faster target acquisition, but things like range shooting i prefer using a 1911, hi-power, or Sig. It always for faster, more accurate follow up shots. I dont knock the P99 at all, i love the ergo's and style of the gun, but as this is an opinionated forum, that is my opinion. I also have info to back my opinions up. I offer them for the OP not for your criticism
Old October 6, 2009, 02:43 PM   #13
rsxr22

neil

good choice! those IWI's are awesome guns, its amazing how far those guns throw brass. A few people shoot local IDPA matches with them and they do exceptionally well. However, consistency and results depend more on shooter than gun.
Old October 6, 2009, 04:47 PM   #14
Chris_B

Quote:
chris b, i think you need to look around a little more for a sig. There are a few places online you cant CPO's and such for the same price as your quoting the P99. I would never pay more than $625 for a used Sig.

Go to SigForum.com and get on there classifieds
Difficult to bring some out of state guns into Massachusetts
Old October 6, 2009, 07:26 PM   #15
jgcoastie

Quote:
There is no shift in change for me, im 23 years old. I have 11 handguns and only 3 are steel or alloy, but it is just the truth. More weight=less felt recoil. I have been shooting in competition-USPSA,IPSC, and IDPA since i was 17 and am always looking for a bit of an edge or benefit from a gun. If weight, seemingly doesnt matter why do people use comp's on guns? If weight doesnt matter, how come when you add a tac-light onto a weapon, it shoots completely different?

I love polymer guns-Glocks, HK's and for many applications i like them a lot more such as for carry and also for faster target acquisition, but things like range shooting i prefer using a 1911, hi-power, or Sig. It always for faster, more accurate follow up shots. I dont knock the P99 at all, i love the ergo's and style of the gun, but as this is an opinionated forum, that is my opinion. I also have info to back my opinions up. I offer them for the OP not for your criticism
My criticism was not in response to any information you provided above... It was in response to this mis-information you provided in Post #4:

Quote:
It will be more flat shooting because it's not polymer
Since when did the frame material determine whether a round shoots flatter or not? Last I checked that was almost entirely determined by cartridge and barrel length...

FWIW I like Sigs, all of my experiences with Sig firearms have been great, but terminal ballistics are not affected (in any significant way) by the material the frame is constructed with... Unless you have a secret that nobody else knows about, I call BS...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.

Tags
p99 , sig 226 , walther