The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 6, 2009, 09:57 PM   #1
Strick

Model 1897 12 guage

I know it is not really a "relic" but I have a question about it. It was my grandfathers and based on the serial number it is about close 80+ years old and was just sitting in my dads closet for years. He gave it to me for xmas last year and I was wanting to get it cleaned up a little. The barrel and receiver has surface rust and I was wondering what is the best way to deal with this. It doesn't need to look new just not rusty. I am thinking about hanging it in my den on the wall so waht would be the best way to keep it looking good?
Old January 6, 2009, 10:07 PM   #2
B. Lahey

A little Breakfree CLP or other high-quality oil with rust preventatives on a soft cloth would probably do the trick.

Later on you may want to look into the museum-type waxes, but I bet most of the light rusting will come off by wiping it down gently with a little good oil.
Old January 7, 2009, 12:20 AM   #3
Webleymkv

Penetrating oil has worked well for me as far as rust removal is concerned. Follow up with a higher quality oil like Remoil for protection.
Old January 7, 2009, 12:20 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Do not use a rust and blue remover (it will remove the blue), just oil. You might try oil with brass or copper wool (sold in grocery store kitchen section as a pot scrubber). It will remove rust without removing or scratching the bluing.

Jim
Old January 7, 2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Strick

Cool, I will give some of this a try. thanks
Old January 17, 2009, 09:58 PM   #6
jeepfxr

I have had excellent resu;ts using the finest grade scotch-brite with some kroil. The Finest scotch-brite is white