The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 27, 2008, 12:38 PM   #1
greg788

Ruger M77 Mk 2 and Hawkeye Accuracy?

In your experience, is it true that Ruger M77 is hit-or-miss in accuracy from rifle to rifle or merely a persistent myth from the Mk 1 days of varied barrel subcontractors?

I found two Hawkeye's in walnut, .243 caliber (NIB) on closeout for stupid good prices: like $500.

But I want 1-1.5 MOA accuracy out of the box with factory ammo. That's the current benchmark.

I can deal with the trigger -- my gunsmith is good so worries about dumping another $100-200 for a Timney or Rifle Basix.
Old December 27, 2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Scorch

Accuracy with Rugers used to be really inconsistent, but nowadays they're pretty consistently a 1-1.5 MOA rifle.
Old December 27, 2008, 01:48 PM   #3
bobn

without exageration i have owned some 30 plus rugers in the last 35 years of shooting. i must be a slow learner. last springs' purchase of a 257 roberts hawkeye did not do anything to raise the bar in the ruger accuaracy depatment for me.
.....hopefully you will have better luck than me. other shooters have had bad luck with brands that i have had nothing but the best with, go figure. bobn
Old December 27, 2008, 07:51 PM   #4
bottom rung

I owned a Ruger M77 MKII All Weather in .30-06. It was made in 2000 I beleive. It was an excellent gun and I should have never sold it. I only shot factory ammo out of it because I did not reload. It gave the 1" to 1.5" accuracy you so desire with many different types of factory ammo. Like a fool, I sold it for something else. When I needed a big game rifle last year I went out and bought another Ruger M77 MKII All Weather. This one has the new matte grey finish, the LC6 trigger, and "Hawkeye" also printed on the side of the reciever. The LC6 trigger has absolutely no creep, but breaks around 5 pounds. I think it is an excellent trigger and see no need to change it. Accuracy is the same with factory ammo producing 1" to 1.5" groupings. I would not hesitate to buy another Hawkeye, especially at a price of $500. I paid $589 for mine last March. I hope you make the purchase. The Rugers have a classic design and look.