The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2008, 11:24 AM   #1
KFDiesel

Loading .41 Rem Mag

Having trouble finding load data for .41 Rem mag using Win 231 and 210 gr. HP/XTP. Any recommendations.Thanks guys.
Old April 26, 2008, 01:04 PM   #2
steveno

what kind of power are you looking for? 231 is a good powder but not my first or second choice for a full power load. for a full power load I would use H-110 or 2400. for a mild load just use a mild load for a cast bullet and you will be fine. I like Unique for mild loads just because it fills up the case a little better which is just another way of looking for a double charge. a small charge of 231 seems to get a little lost in the bottom of the case
Old April 26, 2008, 01:29 PM   #3
WIL TERRY

By 'n' large W-W231 is for popgun loads in any magnum pistol cartridge.

This doubly true with jacketed pistol bullets in magnum cartridges! PLEASE go read your loading manuals and you will see many suitable propellents for what your're asking.
Old April 26, 2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Scott5

Hey KF,
You might try this site:
http://stevespages.com/410p_2_210.html

I hope this helps.

Happy shooting
Scott5
Old April 26, 2008, 01:40 PM   #5
zxcvbob

About 10 grains should be about right, but 231 is a poor choice for a magnum with jacketed bullets. About 17 grains of AA #7 looks a whole lot better, on paper anyway. For an economical load, try 10 grains of Bullseye (you'll get a lot higher velocity than with 10 grains of 231.)
Old April 27, 2008, 09:04 AM   #6
KFDiesel

Thanks Scott for the link. The reason I posted this was because I already have a lot of 231 from loadind .45 acp., I have spent brass from .41 and Hornady HP-XTP's so I thought the boys from TFL might be able to help when my rcourses have not. The paper that came with the Lee dies has 231 listed but only once and not for the bullet I already have. My "ABC's of Reloading" by Bill Chevalier lists a total of 0 recipes in any caliber. I searched win 231 on Google and didnt help. I understand to read and be careful, just thought someone might be able to help. I'll try thehighroad. thanks
Old April 27, 2008, 01:59 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I only use 231 with lead bullets in my .41 Mag., and even then I only get light to moderate loads before the powder maxes out.

If I'm loading jacketed, or if I'm loading lead to magnum levels, I turn to AA 7.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 28, 2008, 11:21 AM   #8
Crazy4nitro

Quote:
Mike Irwin-
I only use 231 with lead bullets in my .41 Mag., and even then I only get light to moderate loads before the powder maxes out.
What do you mean that the Powder is maxed out?...You mean the pressure goes up or more powder and the velocity dont increase?

'Nitro
Old April 29, 2008, 10:23 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nitro,

I mean before I hit the top safe loads for 231 listed in my reloading manuals.

Old May 19, 2008, 12:49 PM   #10
ForneyRider

My Lee load data Remington .41 Mag is 8.0gr or 8.1gr starting load for W231 and 210gr JHP.

I am making some to shoot next month. There is a "lot" of unused space with the W231 load in the .41 mag.

H110/W296 or Lil'gun is more common, but more high velocity rounds.

I have been looking into a powder that is low velocity, but fills up case, and has other good characteristics(clean burning, etc.).

A friend uses dacron filler. I told him about the cream of wheat trick, so he is trying that.
Old May 19, 2008, 01:18 PM   #11
CowTowner

H110 is all I use in the .41 Rem Mag.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old May 19, 2008, 05:45 PM   #12
1*45

I use Red Dot for my cast bullet, 215 grain SWC, about 6.3 grains and sometimes up to 7.0 grains,(hard cast). CCI std primer, starline brass. usually try to duplicate the lead load that Remington used to make. I find the 6.3 grain Red Dot or so load is good in my 4 inch S&W. Hope this will help you with some options. If you go to www.aliantpowder.com will have their loading info. cheers. Floyd
H-K certified MP5/Rifle/USP
Old May 19, 2008, 06:13 PM   #13
Ifishsum

Quote:
H110 is all I use in the .41 Rem Mag.
Me too. Love that stuff and it makes some very accurate loads for my .41 Blackhawk. If I don't want a full power load, I'll shoot the .45 colt instead.
Old May 20, 2008, 12:15 PM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I have been looking into a powder that is low velocity, but fills up case, and has other good characteristics(clean burning, etc.)."

Trail Boss is a good powder for an application like that, but you can only use it with lead bullets, not jacketed.

Old May 21, 2008, 11:15 AM   #15
WESHOOT2

more 'appropriate'

Hodgdon Universal Clays (which can be considered as acting verymuch like Unique).

Will also work well in your 45.