The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 1, 2000, 03:03 PM   #1
Ed209

I'm pretty new to shotguns in general and I just bought a Mossberg Model 88. I would like to buy all the "neat" little goodies that go on a "tactical" shotgun, but none of the on-line stores or catalogs list my exact model type as being able to fit their accessories. I was just wondering what the Mossberg Model 88 most closely duplicated, as far as "popular" shotgun models go? Or am I just SOL here as far as accessories go and should resign myself to buying one of the more "popular" (read expensive) guns?

Thanks in advance
Old February 1, 2000, 04:16 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, a reliable, standard pump shotgun is an awesome weapon for HD. "Tactical" weapons are the purview of Police depts, at least in times of peace.

Suggestion, instead of gadgets and gizmos, spend your money on ammo and range time and up your proficiency. Then, after a few cases of ammo and you've become the deadliest shot this side of El Paso, then get the tricks.

Don't get me wrong,most of the bells and whistles are of worth,and my HD 870 is loaded w/ same. But I got good first.

BTW, I've no experience with that model, but if it's a Mossberg, it's probably OK.

You might want to research some old threads and see the thread I started called,"Some HD Shotgun Observations"...
Old February 1, 2000, 05:21 PM   #3
Rosco P. Coltrain

Check with Mossberg to see what accesories are compatable.