The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2009, 02:56 PM   #26
BigJimP

I reload for handguns ( in 6 calibers - 9mm to .44 mag ) and shotguns in 4 gagues. I use progressive presses ( Dillon 650 for metallic - MEC hydraulic 9000 HN's for shotshells ).

In terms of when I reload - when I get down to less than 10 boxes of ammo for a given caliber, I reload. Then I will usually load 50 boxes or so / or about 2500 cartridges / box them up in plastic boxes - and stack them on shelves in my shop. To load 50 boxes - and replenish primers, check rounds going into boxes with a case gague, etc takes 6 - 8 hours probably over 3 or 4 days usually in my spare time. After I finish the 50 boxes, I break the press down / clean, lube etc - and set up for the next caliber.

Shotshells - I dump all my reloads into 8 gallon rubbermaid stackable containers with lids. Each tub holds 10 - 12 boxes of 25 in 12ga ( and more in 20, 28 and .410 ) / and I usually load 2 tubs full and then shut the press down.

On the handgun ammo - I make a date note on a paper label on each box. I then log the load data into my laptop into an excel spreadsheet - dates, powder, primers, bullet data, etc... On shotgun tubs - I put one label - and log same info primers, wads, powder, etc into spreadsheet.

My loads and chosen components don't vary much / sometimes I'll change bullets on handguns / or maybe powders on my shotshells - but I tend to stay with what works the best. I use Hodgdon TiteGroup for all my handgun loads / and one powder per shotshell gague ( clays for 12ga, Intl for 20ga, Univ for 28ga, Lil Gun for .410 ).

My procedure when I start my press / like if I went home tonite, and wanted to run 10 boxes of handgun ammo - I weigh every powder charge for 1st 10 rounds / if they are dead on goal - then I only weigh about one in 10. I run the 1st 10 rounds thru a case gague - just to be sure - before I run volume. No kids at home now / shop is locked and off limits to grandkids unless I'm in there - so nothing is disturbed ....but I check it anyway. Same thing on shotshells. My shop is in my basement / so humidity is low and constant / heat is moderate - so not a big change based on the environment.

I do all the steps on the progressive press - so no individual steps. I do segregate dirty brass by caliber / then clean / then inspect again and put in clean tubs by caliber. On shotshells - I inspect when I get home from range / dump them into 30 gallon tubs for storage and run them thru as needed. I don't clean shotshells - when they start to crack, I dump them / or if they get real nasty looking after 15 or so reloads, I dump them - and cycle thru some new hulls.

On shotshells - each press is gague specific. Since I reload on a hydraulic / pump on floor - press operates with a foot pedal ... I have 2 presses, with cutoff valves on bench at one time / 12 ga stays on left - the press on the right alternates depending on what gague I want to reload. I shoot 28ga a lot for Skeet 75 % / 12ga 25% of the time / 20 ga and .410 maybe 10%.
Old August 6, 2009, 06:42 AM   #27
Gunforall

BigJimP

Absolutly impressive. Your attention to detail seems to be flawless, almost creepy Thank you for that great post.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.