The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 19, 2009, 04:06 AM   #26
Farmland

Respectfully if you were my son you would still have gotten a back hand. I don't think it is wise or my place to give you opinions on self defense with a firearm due to your age. I don't know your maturity, which may be just fine, or your family situation. I certainly do not know your parents ground rules on firearms.

In my house I have ground rules and you would have violated them. Thus I gave you my opinion based on the fact that I did assume correctly that you were under age. It was maybe a harsh answer but it was meant with respect and safety in mind.

I would strongly suggest you discuss with your parents the ground rules for firearms in your house. Be safe and I hope that you can ask for the wisdom of your mom and dad for future guidance with guns and particularly the use of them in self defense.
Old July 19, 2009, 04:22 AM   #27
Peptobismol9

I serioulsy dont understand peoples idea that I should be backhanded. Maybe my parents can backhand me, but personally I find it [sic] annoying that everyone keeps saying that. So I will tell you what. If you feel up to it. I will pm my number, And we can arrange for you to try and backhand me. Cause maybe I wont win, but I will confident that I would wup the **** out of whoever tries to backhand me. Only my parents get the privilege of doing that, And when im a 40 year old man, they still will, but I wont take that **** from a complete stranger. My dad will probally be happy to know I did this. But Ive had enough of it even hypothetically. ENOUGH. Im Dead serious, And It would be best for you, to just take my word for it. The nerve of Some people ..... This isnt a personal attack against anyone of you, but Im tired of hearing it, because one day, you might wish you had a son like me who is willing to put their life in danger to protect their family. I would gladly take a bullet for any member of my family.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; July 19, 2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: skirting the language filter
Old July 19, 2009, 04:29 AM   #28
Farmland

Maybe you are a little tired tonight, I think the key words were if you were my son. Take care and enjoy your day at the river.
Old July 19, 2009, 04:41 AM   #29
Sixer

You need to chill out. You are getting exactly what you asked for... honest responses. You put your little story on the internet for all the people to chime in, so don't throw a tantrum when you don't like the answers. If you were confident in your decision you wouldn't be asking "was I wrong".

Besides that, you need to realize that this is the INTERNET. I know you're only 16 but you gotta be a little thick skinned if youre gonna put yourself out there. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about backhanding you. Instead I would "borrow" your guns until you turn 18 or become mature enough to keep 'em bedside.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old July 19, 2009, 05:15 AM   #30
Lost Sheep

Good advice, three or four exceptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
"...cornered cat..." Females with firearms website. Doesn't apply to you.
I disagree heartily. The cornered cat website has a lot that is intended for women, but tactics, gun handling, safety, legal issues, all are equally applicable to men and women. And Pax is a very competent writer.

Don't just take T. O'Heir's word, or my word for it. Read it and judge for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peptobismol9
I serioulsy dont understand peoples idea that I should be backhanded. Maybe my parents can backhand me, but personally I find it fecking annoying that everyone keeps saying that. So I will tell you what. If you feel up to it. I will pm my number, And we can arrange for you to try and backhand me. Cause maybe I wont win, but I will confident that I would wup the **** out of whoever tries to backhand me. Only my parents get the privilege of doing that, And when im a 40 year old man, they still will, but I wont take that **** from a complete stranger. My dad will probally be happy to know I did this. But Ive had enough of it even hypothetically. ENOUGH. Im Dead serious, And It would be best for you, to just take my word for it. The nerve of Some people ..... This isnt a personal attack against anyone of you, but Im tired of hearing it, because one day, you might wish you had a son like me who is willing to put their life in danger to protect their family. I would gladly take a bullet for any member of my family.
Begging your pardon, but your rhetoric seems pretty much over the top. When I read the "backhand" comment, I thought it was over the top, too. But hyperbole begets hyperbole and when things escalate beyond reason, communication usually suffers. The first one to de-escalate is the mature one. And maturity is the first requirement of handling life-and-death situations. That you asked advice demonstrates some degree of that character trait. That you are still here demonstrates more. That your parents have given their permission for you to keep firearms in the house is evidence that they trust your maturity. Enough said on that.

In any event, the "backhand" comments, though overboard, did not seem to me to be a threat or even an insult, just a rebuke and a little posturing. Nothing to get in a huff about. By the way, your comments about accepting a challenge seemed equally and unnecessarily argumentative. Two wrongs don't make right.

Quote:
I Think I should bring this up cause its kind of funny. About a month ago, the sheltered children next door come running over, At night, Cryting, and screaming. Let me back up and describe a little more. Its about 9:00 at night. Its humid outside and warm, Im in my boxers, Im polishing my sks up, And then it happens. Now I will proceed. I come running out to blood curdling screams you would expect to hear if someone was dying. Outside my room, Nathan, William, And Savanna all ages 5, 10, and 7, are crying and trying to talk. The Oldest, William, Manages to say that someone has broken in. I tell them wait in my room, lock the door, and call the police. I grab my rifle and go to investigate.
You were there, and I wasn't, so this is just general thoughts. Going out to investigate a potential home invastion, burglary or just a stranger at the window by yourself is not something even trained police do without a partner or backup, usually. A civilian doing so when all friendlies are accounted for is usually counter-productive. All the kids were OK. You were OK. The only thing at risk is property? Calling for assistance (911 or even the regular dispatch line) is the recommended course of action.

Quote:
The only thing that bothers me now, is talking my parents into letting me put some ammo in my mags. They consider it unsafe for bullets to be within 3 ft of a gun.
With an 11 year old in the house (especially one who is willing to scare three little neighbor kids), I agree with the caution of not having loaded guns not secured behind locks in the house. A gun safe to store one, weapon with ammunition ready to load would be a wise investment.

In the meantime, I suggest you get some trigger locks for all your guns and use them. Your 11 year old brother is bound to be curious and you must never underestimate the ingenuity of growing boys, especially those already willing to break rules of behaviour. Many municipalities give them away for free.

Please pardon me for going on so long. It is late, but I wanted to share my thoughts, opinions and advice while it is still fresh im my mind.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; July 19, 2009 at 05:46 AM.
Old July 19, 2009, 05:56 AM   #31
Peptobismol9

Thanks lost sheep. The lock idea seems great, but I already taught him to only load a gun if he intends to shoot, and only shoot if he intends to kill. And I already covered the dont kill thing. Me and my parents dont let him have firearms yet because he loves to grab a weapon in a fight. They all stay in my room, where I am most of the day, Making phone calls and helping others with their firearms.
Old July 19, 2009, 07:39 AM   #32
scottaschultz

Quote:
Me and my parents dont let him have firearms yet because he loves to grab a weapon in a fight.
I am with Lost Sheep on this one. For this reason alone I very strongly urge you to lock all your weapons. I know he is your brother and you love him dearly, but DO NOT trust an 11 year "who loves to grab a weapon" just because you had a talk with him about firearm safety. As he said, never underestimate the ingenuity or curiosity of growing boys.

Why take chances or put your family at risk? Besides, if you need a little time for your eyes to adjust at night, this will give you time to unlock your weapon of choice and get it ready to shoot if needed.

Don't make me come down there and backhand you boy!

Scott
Old July 19, 2009, 09:07 AM   #33
big26john

An empty gun is more dangerous than being unarmed. If a perpetrator sees you with a gun and he has one you are getting shot. If you are empty handed at least he may not shoot you. If you are going to bring the gun load it.
Old July 19, 2009, 10:04 AM   #34
Lee Lapin

Maybe im wrong?

Well, you said it- but IMO there's no "maybe" about it. Frankly, I'm convinced you have a lot to learn before you have any business roaring around your own house or the neighbor's with a gun, loaded or not. I hope you can avoid involvement in one sort of tragedy or another until you learn what you need to learn, but so far you seem to have kept your guardian angels pretty busy.

Replace your phone. Learn to dial 9-1-1. Fix your bedroom door, or get someone who's allowed to use power tools to fix it. Put on a good lock while you're at it. This is known in the real world as "first things first."

I'm several hundred miles away and not about to take you to raise, but if you were in my house, given what you've said so far, you'd not have access to any firearms at all without responsible adult supervision at this point. And no, I do not consider your parents responsible adults, from what you've said in your posts on this thread so far.

Frankly you're not ready for the responsibility of firearms possession, as far as I can tell. I'm not saying this to make you feel bad, but because it seems to me you really are a danger to yourself and others at this point. If that's hurtful I'm sorry for the hurt but not for the message. I've seen too many tragedies involving firearms in the hands of those who did not appreciate the many dangers involved with them already. Dead/maimed/jailed lasts a long time.

In short, spend some time absorbing the messages at http://www.defense-training.com/quips/2003/19Mar03.html . I know John Farnam, I have trained with him, and he doesn't mince words. Right now you are hunting trouble. Keep it up, and you're going to find it sooner or later. When you do, you won't like it.

Don't like Kathy's (pax's) site? Then try http://www.spw-duf.info/ . Read http://www.claytoncramer.com/gundefe...g/blogger.html . Study http://www.defense-training.com/quips/quips.html . Take a Hunter Safety course. That's just for starters.

I can't lock your guns in a safe. But if I could I would, until you learned what you needed to know to possess them safely and responsibly.

I sincerely wish you and everyone about you the best,

lpl

Last edited by Lee Lapin; July 19, 2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old July 19, 2009, 10:25 AM   #35
FyredUp

peptobismol9,

I have read all of your responses and everyone is scarier than the one before.

I wouldn't, as a parent, let you have a gun in your room. You admit to having paranoid issues, you admit you can't see for 3 minutes when you wake up, you live at home and scared your mom and aren't smart enough to abide by their rules, and you ran out of your house in your underwear with a rifle and go into your neighbor's house AFTER they told you they called the cops (are you looking to get shot or what?). THEN UNBELIEVABLY, you let 5, 7 and 10 year old children "fumble around" with your sks with the bolt open. Are you INSANE? If I was their parent's I would have kicked your ass for that stupid stunt alone.

Quote:
People can be crazy sometimes.
Yes they can be, and your actions are not the kind we need from responsible gun owners. I think the biggest issue is you are far too immature to be handling guns of any sort without adult supervision.
Old July 19, 2009, 10:30 AM   #36
Glenn E. Meyer

What a mess.

Ranting, cursing, insults and the use of the English language has disappeared.

Thus - CLOSED and some will get PMs!

Tags
right or wrong gun