The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 8, 2009, 02:39 PM   #1
SGL

I shot at Blackwater

I just read this insane story about a guy who shoots tactical shotguns at Blackwater. Me next. http://www.shotgunlife.com
Old July 8, 2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

I don't get a specific story. Also we don't like just a link but more of an analysis. Want to fix it up?

Thanks.
Old July 9, 2009, 06:21 AM   #3
Cincy_Ron

Here's the article I think he was talking about.

http://www.shotgunlife.com/Places-to...-commando.html
Old July 9, 2009, 10:30 AM   #4
Beauhooligan

I shot at Blackwater

I liked the article about combat shotgun training at Blackwater! I'm too old, too broken and worn, but if I was back in my thirties, heck even my forties I would pay to give that class a go! I have been very appreciative of the basic combat shotgun since the "brown water Navy" in the Mekong in '68-'69. My PBR had two pump guns on board to satisfy those who loathed the M-16 for boarding and searching for contriband. One was a very worn Model 12 Winchester, the other was a very worn Remington 870. I had a Remington 870 back home, but I never imagined that a 870 could be as battered and abused and still function as well as the one on the boat. We had UMC paper cased 00 buckshot that was devastating up close, but the paper cases had a tendency to swell in th 90% plus humidity of the Mekong. I would roll shells along the aluminum gunnel, and any that would not roll true just got tossed over the side. The Winchester, I found, had an advantage over the Remington in a panic weather deck gun fight; one could simply hold the trigger of the Model 12 back and jack the pump, literally "tromboning" off every round in the magazine. The boys on the boat preferred the shotguns, and I would take the one I could get. If I had preference, I would choose the Remington. Usually, on smaller vessels, the primary would go aboard with a 1911A1 .45 and the other hand free to open compartments. Secondary would take the shotgun or M-16. The third man would stand to the M-60 and cover the deck. The Boat Captain, in our case a Master Chief, would stay at the helm. Our mate boat would circle us and be ready to "stand to" and render fire support or physical intervention. If it was a large boat we would both pull alongside and share crew for boarding. By the time I made GM2 I was primary on board, and found that going aboard to search below the weather deck was a nightmare. Too many dark places where a person can hide, possible booby traps and no back up. The 1911A1 .45 ACP is truly an amazing handgun, and in seven engagements I had only one occasion where I had to fire a second shot. Those who do not think the 230 grain FMJ military ammunition is sufficient can rest easy. I am ambidextrous, and was able to shift my anglehead flashlight to bring it's mild beam where it was needed, and cover with the 1911A1 with the other hand. I have never needed an ambidextrous safety, as with practice the standard controls of the 1911A1 will work perfectly for both me and the southpaw. I only had one problem using the .45 with the left hand, and that was when a antagonist hit he in the left arm with a piece of pipe while I was looking into a locker. It seemed he didn't want me to find the HE and detonators that were stored within. I lost control of the 1911A1, and all the feeling in my arm, but still almost beat him to death with a GI anglehead light in my right hand!

But, we're along way from training for shotgun fighting. I have two identical Remington 870 Express shotguns. I like the semi-Parkerized finish. Both shotguns are 12 ga. 3" chamber with a 20" rifle sighted barrels and IC Rem Choke, SureFire Tactical Light with 6 round magazine extensions and synthetic stocks. They are pretty much the same as the guns turned out by Scattergun Technologies before they were absorbed by Wilson Tactical. I keep one in the bedroom at night, and the other in the Browning safe that is unlocked when I am at home.

The second gun was for my late wife Mary Ann, in case we both needed a best friend in the midnight hour. I really miss my best girl. 23 years and not a cross word. We had discussion, and made choices. Despite being 5 foot none, and being from the loop in Chicago, when she learned about the problems of modern self defense, she "got tough" when it came to weapons training. She learned to shoot .357 Magnum, .308, 12 ga. and .45 ACP like a Marine. God love her, right up until she died she was choosing holsters to shoot IPDA. If you ever have one even half as good, hold her close.
Do I have to say how much I miss her?
Old July 9, 2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Wagonman

Welcome Beau, hope you stick around. I like having BTDT guys around.
Old July 9, 2009, 07:33 PM   #6
KCabbage

Great story Beau. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, I mean that.
Hang in there brother
Old July 9, 2009, 09:33 PM   #7
sdj

BeauH,

Good writing; thanks for sharing.
Old July 9, 2009, 10:40 PM   #8
SW1911CT

When I saw the thread's title I thought man I bet they shot back
Old July 9, 2009, 10:54 PM   #9
IZZY

Beauhooligan,

Always good to hear those who have real experiance.
Old July 9, 2009, 11:10 PM   #10
Bayou Rifle

BeauH, great writing, great story. More would be appreciated when you have time.

Very sorry for your loss of Mary Ann. Sounds like you were blessed with an angel.

Thanks again.
Old July 10, 2009, 12:12 AM   #11
Jmarshall

That would be great fun!
Old July 10, 2009, 08:45 PM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I'm in the same boat as Glenn's concerns are valid. Seems this has no content to the topic at hand and is closed.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Closed Thread