The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 9, 2008, 08:38 PM   #1
sketchy

rem 742

I got this old remington 742 woodsmaster it belonged to my dad whos been gone for 15 years it shot great, but my son who wants to hunt wanted to use this gun so we took it out and cleaned it up.

it shot fine but would not eject the casing tried it 5 times did not eject 5 times I don't really know anything about these rifles what would be the cause of this.
Old September 10, 2008, 04:14 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Moving to The Smithy.
Old September 10, 2008, 07:33 AM   #3
Doyle

Unfortunately, the 742's were called Jammomatics because of this exact problem. They have weak extractors. If your extractor isn't actually broken, you may be able to resurrect it by making a chamber brush out of a shotgun-sized brass brush. You'll have to do a little trimming to make the shotgun brush match the size of your bullet casing. Screw it onto a short piece of cleaning rod and bend the rod at an angle so that you can insert the brush into the chamber and work it in and out and twist it too.

Clean the chamber till you think it is clean, then clean it again. Use a VERY light coat of good gun oil and then wipe it off with a clean cloth. Now try to extract a shell. If that doesn't work, you'll need to find a gunsmith that is willing to work on 742's (that in itself is very hard as most don't want to touch them). Replacement extractors are hard to come buy too.
Old September 10, 2008, 07:55 AM   #4
steve1589

Take the forend off and see if the action spring and the rod that it goes over is rusty. If it is not rusty then look at the chamber. I am assuming the bolt face still has the entire extractor on it. When the chamber on this guns gets rusty. They will fail to extract the shot cartridge. If you shoot it long enough or when the chamber gets rusty enough. It will break the hook of the extractor off of the bolt face or break off a piece of the bolt face. I am assuming you are not shooting old or reloaded ammo. If it has a scope on it make sure the scope base screws are not too long and extending below the receiver. You can pull the bolt back and see the two front base screws. You will have to take out the trigger group to see the two back screws. If the firearm hasn't been shot in 15 years it could just need a good cleaning to remove old varnished up oil and powder residue.
Old September 10, 2008, 09:38 AM   #5
Scorch

A friend of mine had this exact problem. I gave the chamber the Militec treatment to solve the problem.
Old September 10, 2008, 11:36 AM   #6
sketchy

thanks

I'll have to take it in, and have them take a look it looks like the extractor is out.

thanks a million guys.