The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old May 5, 2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Dust_Devil

USPS Mail Shredder Strikes Again!!

The first attempt of the May issue was destroyed. Now here is my June issue.

Is there any way I can request to have my magazines delivered in envelopes from now on or can you people at SWAT mag bitch at the post office with more response by the post office than if I would complain.

What I don't understand is why none of the other loose magazines I get in the mail come in this condition?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Dust_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 01:34 AM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

DD-
- We can complain....with no greater effect than you. They are, after all, the government. They don't have to be good. They don't even have to be on time.
- We cannot deliver in envelopes....the subscription rate would simply be too high.

I'm really sorry for the problem. Please email me for replacement.
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 04:19 AM   #3
Glock 31

It IS a conspiracy!
Glock 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 09:34 AM   #4
silicon wolverine

I get Techinal service bulletins from Ford Motor Co once a month. They have never failed to damage one. Every month usually has with the front or back cover missing. One month i got three pages of 30. Snail mail sucks. thats why i use the net almost all the time now.

SW
silicon wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 09:54 AM   #5
Dust_Devil

Quote:
I'm really sorry for the problem. Please email me for replacement.
Rich
No need to bother. The damage was just to the first few pages and the magazine was still in a good enough condition to read.

BTW, I received another replacement copy of the MAY issue, in addition to the one you replaced for me, just 2 days ago. However, since both MAY issues were in envelopes, they weren't damaged.
Old May 6, 2006, 10:27 AM   #6
Polydorus

This problem must depend on the route of the mail. Living in Central Michigan I seldom ever have a problem and only with newspapers. You're fortunate to have the more modern sorting machinery in your area.
Polydorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 10:31 AM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

DD-
Generally, replacement labels are sent to us from the Sub House. This takes about 10 days to process. When I get a complaint direct, we send out a replacement. Rather than log each of these and compare them to the replacement labels that later come in, it just makes more sense to send that one, too. Otherwise, someone is bound to get missed.

FWIW, we really only send out a couple dozen replacements every issue; though, I know, from these threads one would assume the rate is much higher. I guesstimate that only 1 in 4 damaged issues gets reported to us; if so, the damage rate is still a small fraction of 1%.

Looks like you just keep drawing the Black Marble!
Rich
Old May 7, 2006, 11:51 PM   #8
slicers63

Rich

May must have been a bad month for the Phoenix area USPS. All I received of the June issue was the cover and a note from them that "... are striving to improve our prossessing methods..." I will email you my information. I would appreicate a replacement copy.

Dan
slicers63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 08:35 AM   #9
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Slicer-
Looking for your email.
Rich
Old May 8, 2006, 11:48 AM   #10
Harley Quinn

In Phonex, Az.

Might be an unhappy person who read the story on Illegals in the April issue while processing the magazine, maybe?

Just a thought, evil, I know

HQ
Harley Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 09:25 AM   #11
Kyote

I work as a clerk at a Post Office. The reason your Mag.s get torn up is that Mgt. insists on running everything through their d*#@ machines. The clerk that loads the Mag. into the machine doesnt always get the Mag turned correctly (Mags will come in bundles and they are faced different ways to facilitate a neater bundle, ie: the spine will be on the right hand side for ten Mags then it will be on the left for ten etc.) We try to load the magazines where the spine is the leading edge going down the machine (normally when you hold the Mag., the spine is on the right hand side as you look at the mag) The publisher gets a mailing discount for including the "bar code" on your lable. The machine is "supposed" to be able to read the bar code no matter where the bar code is on the cover. Jams happen and so do clerks with bad attitudes. ( I could take up a lot of space here on Postal supervisors but......) Most of the clerks that I work with try very hard to insure customer satisfaction in spite of what Mgt. wants. (All they want is "through put" numbers) We (craft employees) really try and we want customer satisfaction, we're customers too.
Old May 21, 2006, 11:05 AM   #12
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Thanks for the inside info, Kyote. Makes sense if they put the spine in backward it would cause problems.

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 01:20 PM   #13
FirstFreedom

Wonder what kind of salary that guy makes (the one whose job it is to make sure that the covers are torn)?
FirstFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 01:45 PM   #14
Harley Quinn

Dusty

I would go into the local delivery PO. show them the mags. lodge a complaint.
No biggie. But it might help.

Knowing the out come of it going in backwards and targeting a certain magazine is not something out of realm. IMHO.

HQ
Harley Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 10:14 AM   #15
westphoenix

I had a few that got damaged. But mostly just cover page or so.
The postal service around here sucks. I always get other peoples mail and my mail gets damaged. They dont have a consistant delivery time. For awhile we were getting our mail at 8:30pm.
westphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 11:30 AM   #16
UniversalFrost

Same thing happens to my "fire arm" related magazines and packages. We have a mail carrier back home who is anti gun (openly told me this once when delivering a package from a gun store) and tries to push her view on everyone. Any time she is delivering the mail I either don't get the magazines/letters that are fire arm related or they are damaged beyond serviceablity. My neighbors and I have complained about this many times and she has been reprimanded, but it has been going on ten years and it still happens. Mostly nowdays i have my gun and hunting stuff that is sent through USPS to a P.O. Box. Never had a problem with fedex or UPS.

Also, she did it a few times to my VFW magazines and boxes and I contacted VFW who's lawyers sent her and the post office a "nasty gram" and it has not happened since with VFW/VA related stuff. I am looking forward to when she retires/dies or gets attacked by a killer chihuahua

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

UniversalFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 09:07 PM   #17
Kyote

We've all heard about the "ten percent" crowd. We have them here too. With 77,000 craft workers (an that's just clerks) your gonna get some real dooseys. To complain, you might as well go holler at a wall. The P O used to be a fun place to work, now I'm just marking time to retire, 25 years is something I can't afford to throw away.

On behalf of all of us P O employees please accept my sincere apology.
Old June 4, 2006, 02:51 PM   #18
Dust_Devil

Quote:
I had a few that got damaged. But mostly just cover page or so.
The postal service around here sucks. I always get other peoples mail and my mail gets damaged. They dont have a consistant delivery time. For awhile we were getting our mail at 8:30pm
I don't know if the post office works this way, but I wonder if they have a specific route that they train and give to new postal carriers, which happens to be the route your home is located, and the new postal carriers have a longer and more inconsistent delivery time than a regular carrier.