The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 18, 2005, 08:48 AM   #1
Rojoe67

air soft guns......

I have bought a air-soft pistol and find it a good training gun for my son. I stress safety values just as much as any other weapon. I require him to put an extra layer of clothing on, eye protection, and a hat. We set up the target range in the basement. Sure the thing isn't the same as a b-b gun or pellet gun but it works. It is a bunch safer than having a brass b-b coming back and nailing you. At a close distance 10-12 feet the thing has good power to hit what the sights are put on. I remember as a boy his age I was trying to do it all safe and still bounced one off something and bought a new window out of my savings account. Just thought if anyone had the winter blues and wanted to do some indoor shooting with his youngster(s) this might be an option. Remember safety... even adults can't be too safe.... wear those safety glasses. ***While training with them - treat the gun and the range you set up just like you would if you were using a firearm at your local range.... be safe and have fun

ps..... I explain and demand him to store his pistol and ammo in seperate locations....and secured..... Start them off right and they will make you proud...
Old January 20, 2005, 12:03 PM   #2
Arc Angel

And you, Sir, are a very clever man!
Old January 23, 2005, 12:38 PM   #3
david wagner

this works well but if you want to take it to the next step you can get an nice airsoft repeater. the power is increased and it does look fairly realistic but there are pluses to is.
#1 you can repeat shooting and get used to the feel of this. #2 most if not all repeating airsoft guns have functioning saftey/decocker. #3 they are modeled after real guns so you can buy what you use. #4 if you are a real gun buyer this is a good way to test the feel of possible buys.
if ypu are interested in doing this a good link is http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/gas.htm
If you are willing to put up the extra money go for the western arms made. me and my dad have 3 and they all work wonderfully after 5000+ rounds each
Old January 23, 2005, 01:03 PM   #4
mayassa

http://www.hobbyasia.com/detailedpics/MU14213_5.jpg

http://www.hobbyasia.com/
good site
Old January 23, 2005, 01:51 PM   #5
WillBrayjr

Airsoft Extreme is located here in the USA. www.airsoftextreme.com Airsoft guns make excellent training tools!!!
Old January 23, 2005, 07:23 PM   #6
Rojoe67

Thanks folks......

Just a quick thanks for all the good information here.......and thanks to Arc for the nice compliment, it made my day..... Enjoy retirement sir
Old January 23, 2005, 08:58 PM   #7
albazero

always wear eye protection

but otherwise airsoft is great;; i play all the time with my friends
Old January 24, 2005, 01:18 AM   #8
fastforty

Last week Big 5 had the $40 airsoft pistols on sale for $20. I thought that 40 bucks was pretty steep, but 20 is quite reasonable. They are exact replicas (probably made from impressions of the real McCoy). My local store had Taurus, S&W, 1911 models, Sig P228 & one other. I got the Sig & it snapped right in my Kydex holster. It hits point of aim out to 20 feet (as far as I've shot it), my chronograph verified that it meets or exceeds the claimed 282fps & it'll darn near punch through standard weight cardboard. I print my targets on legal size paper, so with an inch of the top & bottom folded they tape right onto the open end of a copy paper box, traps all but an occassional pellet. I'm very pleased with the purchase. Thinking of filling the grip with sand to get a little more weight.