The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 11, 2005, 03:36 PM   #1
goosevr1

Movie: Collateral & CCW

For those of you who have seen the movie Collateral (Tom Cruise/Jamie Foxx), what would you have done if you were Max (the cab driver?)

For those unfamiliar with the plot, Max is a LA cab driver who unknowingly takes on a passenger who has five stops to make, five people to kill. More or less, you are an unarmed cab driver with a killer in your back seat who wants you to take him to 5 locations so that he can kill 5 people.

What if you had your CCW? Given the events of the film, would you and when would you choose to take action?
Old January 11, 2005, 03:46 PM   #2
echaraska

I would have given him a hand at the club and asked for a cut.
Old January 11, 2005, 04:53 PM   #3
Any .45

Vincent was pretty good, he had a fast draw and one hell of a double tap to the chest and finish shot to the forehead. The only bad thing was that he was sloppy, and he let the situation escalate to the point where he couldn't control it. He should have shot max as soon as Max witnessed the first murder. But I myself would have waited till' Vincent slipped for a second and boom I would have shot Vincent if I had my CCW on me. Also Vincent's character is the type of person that knows who they can control.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old January 11, 2005, 05:09 PM   #4
JSandi

Vincent was a trained and experienced killer and based on his skills and observation abilities during the movie what’s to say that he would not have picked up to the fact you were carrying. I’m sure somewhere in his skill set he was given a class or two on spotting concealed weapons, if they taught it to us as cops in the academy I’m sure they teach it to SPEC OPS Types (which based on the making of the movie that’s where he got his training)

That is a nightmare scenario and if you ever were to be so unlucky as to encounter someone like Vincent, it’s just your time to go, hope he actually likes you a bit and has the compassion to take you out with a head shot from the rear when you least expect it.

Old January 11, 2005, 10:26 PM   #5
abelew

I dunno, killer without remorse or fear of death.....the most dangerous kind. Wait till I had an opportunity and then would try my best, as I would imagine I wouldnt be surviving that night eithor way without trying
Old January 12, 2005, 12:39 AM   #6
mikikanazawa

If I were unarmed in that situation, I'd probably have ended up doing what many "carjackees" have done in the past - fasten my seat belt, accelerate to 60 and look for an object which would cause maximum vehicle deceleration.
Old January 12, 2005, 12:43 AM   #7

Whether I was carrying or not, I wouldn't have done anything to stop him.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old January 13, 2005, 12:53 AM   #8
Doug242ti

Quote:
If I were unarmed in that situation, I'd probably have ended up doing what many "carjackees" have done in the past - fasten my seat belt, accelerate to 60 and look for an object which would cause maximum vehicle deceleration.
pretty much how the movie goes and pretty much what I thought would be best too. The "spotting" a CCW seems about dead on to me.