The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 18, 2018, 01:04 AM   #1
BrentS

Thinking about getting a Seecamp...

Hello All. I'm new to the forum and am hoping to get some opinions. I'm looking for a CC handgun that I can carry all the time in pocket holster. Comfortably. I've been considering a Seecamp, been interested in them for awhile. Not only is their size appealing, but also their quality. Nothing worse than a cheaply made gun. I was initially thinking about the Seecamp .380, however after reading some different posts I'm not sure if the .32 wouldn't be better. The .380 sounds like it is unpleasant to shoot/practice with. I saw a YouTube video showing penetration comparisons between .32 ACP, .380 ACP, and 9mm. The .32 did surprisingly well, going through a large ham that had been covered with both denim and leather. My last CC handgun was a S&W Model 60 with Crimson Trace grips. It was a nice setup, very accurate for a short barreled revolver, but wasn't much fun to shoot being a .357 Magnum. It was also a heavy little gun that wasn't overly comfortable to carry, and certainly not a pocket pistol. Any advice from you guys? I'm thinking that a Seecamp in a rear-pocket holster would be perfect for my needs, just would like opinions from anyone who has fired one in both calibers. Opinions on other options would be appreciated as well.
Old December 18, 2018, 01:42 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

The Seecamp is a fine gun.
For half the money, you can buy a Keltec P32 that is lighter and flatter (but longer.) The Keltec is also a locked-breech mechanism that makes the gun as easy to shoot as a .22.
Size is not as important in a pocket gun as weight, in my opinion.
Old December 18, 2018, 07:10 AM   #3
Cosmodragoon

It depends on what kind of pants you wear but there are a lot of quality pocket guns available these days. Technology has come a long way since the Seecamp was introduced.

Being familiar with the model 60, have you tried its alloy equivalent or an LCR? Having carried all three in pocket holsters, I can tell you that the weight reduction of the latter two make a big difference. Like you, I don't think .357 magnum is fun to shoot in any gun that small. However, .38 special isn't bad. The LCR also comes in a six-shot .327 Federal, which kicks less than .357 but is still more powerful than 9mm.

As far as steel pocket autos, the Seecamp is classic cool. I like it for the same reason that I like the Walther PPK. Besides style and sentiment, it seems to work well in my limited experience. If I was going to buy a Seecamp today, it would probably be in .32 acp because you do tend to feel the recoil in that little guy. For another option in line with the Seecamp, check out the NAA Guardian. Working with limitations in power and recoil, they've come up with a few proprietary cartridges like the .32 NAA and .25 NAA in addition to their normal chamberings.

Of course, those steel pocket autos are still pretty dense. There are polymer-framed pocket autos in .380 from lots of top-tier manufacturers now. I would definitely explore those and make sure I hated them all before investing in a Seecamp (or a Guardian).
Old December 18, 2018, 09:35 AM   #4
railroader

I have an ruger lcp custom and I use to have a seecamp 32acp. Of the two I could shoot the lcp much more accurately because it has sights. With the seecamp you had to just point the gun at the target which didn't always work out accuracy wise. My seecamp also would keyhole rounds through the target and from what I have read online I wasn't alone. If you don't reload seecamp practice ammo can be expensive since regular round nose ammo is too long to fit in the mag. I reload and found some flat nose bullets I could use that I bought in 500 round boxes that would work. So even though the seecamp was a really cool little gun there are better options for actual carry.
Old December 18, 2018, 10:46 AM   #5
HighValleyRanch

I have a Seecamp .32 acp and carry it in the pocket quite often. It is very compact and with the pocket holster I made for it with a spare mag, I have 14 rounds of .32 in a very flat compact package in my jeans pocket. I carry in my offhand side both as primary and backup to my revolvers.

The seecamp is somewhat picky about ammo length, so you have to do some testing to see what works reliably in your particular gun. I found that Speer gold dots HP and winchester flatnose FMJ's work flawlessly so that is what I carry. The winchesters are commonly available at Walmart and many other places and not overly expensive.

Shooting some of the hotter .32's is a handfull. For such a small caliber, you can really feel the recoil, so although I would get a .380 if I could (not approved here in CA), the .32 is fine.
I did drill the barrel to put on a pin front post, and a small notch on the slide for reference.

When I had to qualify with the pistol for my CCW, I taped on a fiber optic rod on the front for reference. I surprised the range officer by shooting a better group at the ten yard line than the other 20 participants.
It's in a totally different class than pocket carrying the LCR (which I do) or a Kahr PM9.
You almost forget that it's there. Great for super deep concealment.

Here's a photo of my pocket carry(bill for size comparison)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05695.JPG (211.7 KB, 2434 views)

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; December 18, 2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old December 18, 2018, 10:47 AM   #6
AK103K

Ive owned two Seecamp LWS32's, and currently still have one.

Personally, I think the Seecamps are the benchmark all the others need to meet. Over the years, Ive owned and carried a good number of other "little" guns, like Colts, Baby Brownings, Keltec, LCP, etc, and I think the Seecamps are cream of the crop there.

That said, I still look at them as basically second and more realistically, third line back up guns, and no longer carry the one I have, and havent for about 10 years now. I replaced it as a back up with a Glock 26, along with a 17 reload in the same type of holster and in the same place as I carried my Seecamp.

If you absolutely have to carry something like the Seecamp, then its the way to go. Personally, I wouldnt carry it as my primary, but thats me.
Old December 18, 2018, 01:01 PM   #7
rwagliardo

I pocket carry the 380 everyday. It has been 100% reliable. It packs quite the punch recoil wise if that is a concern. I would go with the .32 if I was to buy again simply because recommendation is to change the recoil spring every 200 rounds with the .380.

Other than that it is a great pistol and very easy to pocket carry with the right holster.
Old December 18, 2018, 09:53 PM   #8
JERRYS.

my LWS32 is a Milford gun and that is what I would suggest you buy instead of a Southwick gun, if possible. The latter seem to have issues that I read about on the Seecamp Forums, however I think that has more to do with guys trying boutique ammo for which it was not designed to shoot.
Old December 18, 2018, 11:39 PM   #9
jstert

after handling a ruger lcp 380acp and a keltec p32 32acp, i chose a used naa guardian 32acp. unfortunately it developed a problem so away it went to naa. a completely rebuilt pistol came in return. i suggest a softer shooting 32acp for consistent accuracy and naa for excellent customer service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old December 19, 2018, 08:55 AM   #10
PSP

My very early LWS32 served me very well for many years. Very reliable with all ammo that fit. The only ammo I disliked was Cor Bon. Mostly used Winchester Silver Tip. The one and only downside is the takedown method that takes some practice to master and a punch. The Killeen magazines are a masterpiece of metal work. I was able to shoot quite accurately at close ranges 3 to 7 yards. The gun does take a beating over time and does require replacement parts periodically. The parts are relatively cheap and easy to get. The Seecamp is one of the best guns I've owned. Does exactly what it was designed to do. I carried mine in a treasured Hedley holster. Gave it to a family member that wanted it badly a few years ago and I miss it.

Here's my "C" baby.

Last edited by PSP; December 19, 2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old December 19, 2018, 09:06 AM   #11
wild cat mccane

Seecamp was recently bought out with the purpose of fixing issues?

Their forum is abysmal with failures. Magazine specific?

I can't recall the details. Went looking last year. The forum steered me the crap away from the 380 and the company entirely.

If you are looking at the 32, there is no reason given the LCP with a magguts +1 in the stock magazine. The LCP beats the P32 in very way. I believe the Pico is just as slim as the P32.

No rimlock worries with the 380.

The 32 is totally obsolete platform. The LCP can carry the same amount, the ammo selection is better, the slimness is nothing, the Beretta Pico is just as slim.
Old December 19, 2018, 09:13 AM   #12
claydoctor

Save your money and just get a Ruger LCP. It's a KelTec with better quality. I would avoid a Ruger LCR. Even in 38, I find the recoil to be brutal. Pachmayr grips on one are better than Hogue but are larger negating the CCW use.
Old December 19, 2018, 02:16 PM   #13
gnystrom

Had a Seecamp .32 and carried it in a Hedley pocket holster. It was a nice gun that never gave me any trouble. Sold it and the holster and bought an LCP and an LCP II.

The Ruger is just as easily concealed, much more effective caliber, better sights, much easier to shoot, and parts if needed are readily available.

Last edited by gnystrom; December 20, 2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old December 19, 2018, 02:50 PM   #14
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I would avoid a Ruger LCR. Even in 38, I find the recoil to be brutal. Pachmayr grips on one are better than Hogue but are larger negating the CCW use.
How we feel recoil is subjective but this has not been my experience, nor has it been the experience of people with whom I've shot it. Many people have commented that it is better than the comparable alloy J-frame and I agree. The Hogue grips have a lot to do with it. Having carried either the LCR 38 or LCR 327 in a pocket holster for something like a thousand days, the profile of the Hogue grips never bothered me.

While the recoil of the LCR 38 isn't "brutal" by most accounts, it's still a very light gun and physics does apply. I do know someone who purchased the LCR 357, which is built on a slightly heavier frame, with the intended purpose of shooting .38 special with it. (I don't know how much the slight weight difference made because I haven't shot them back to back.) I do know that ammo choices can affect recoil as well. For instance, the 85-grain "1400 fps" loads in .327 Federal have indistinguishable felt recoil from .38 +p while the "1500 fps" 100-grain loads are a bit much. If someone finds your average 120-something grain load in .38 special to be "brutal", then I'd be surprised if they didn't find your average .380 unpleasant in a fixed-barrel pocket gun.
Old December 19, 2018, 07:45 PM   #15
GarandTd

Take a look at the Remington Rm380. I'm not saying it's any better than the other suggestions, but it is a good pistol. It is relatively accurate, comfortable to shoot, and has been quite reliable with all different ammunition's. It is probably at the top of the size scale for pocket carry, but it can be done. I have a pocket holster for mine, but usually carry AIWB in a nylon Tagua holster designed for a small Glock. It actually fits the rm380 very well. The rm380 has an aluminum frame with stainless slide and barrel. It is a locked breach tilting barrel design.
Old December 19, 2018, 09:57 PM   #16
Bill DeShivs

"The 32 is totally obsolete platform." In your mind.
In reality, the .32 acp is chambered in millions of guns.
Recoil in 32 is much less than .380.
You can not find a lighter pocket automatic than the P32.
Old December 20, 2018, 01:32 AM   #17
BrentS

Thank you for all of the reponses. I considered a lighter version of my Model 60, however they aren't much smaller (with the exception of the Ruger), and the recoil would be WORSE than my S&W unless I went down significantly in caliber. Revolvers are also a bit wide as far as pocket carry goes in my experience. As far as semi-autos go, there aren't that many good options that I've seen for actual, consistent pocket carry. I got a Kel-Tec .380 shortly after they came out, and got rid of it as quickly as i could. It fired, but the quality was so lacking I was surprised it didn't have "K-Mart" stamped on the side. Will never own one again. I had a Kahr PM9 but it didn't excite me one way or another. The quality WAS good, however it was too large for actual pocket carry. I don't want to wear a holster on my waist, either inside or outside the belt. Have done it before - outside the belt just feels too conspicuous for me, and inside the belt feels uncomfortable. I am partial to all-metal guns in the smaller sizes - just have a higher quality feel to them. Thank you for those who posted the pics, the setup that High Valley Ranch posted looks a lot like what I've been picturing. I haven't heard anything negative about the guns made in the new location - what issues, if any, has anyone heard about the guns being made at the new Massachusetts location? If I could find a new LWS32 made in Milford I would likely opt for it. Just not easy to find.....
Old December 20, 2018, 08:14 AM   #18
PSP

The seecamp is really compact and much easier to conceal than most of the .380s mentioned. Some folks don't realize how small the Seecamp is because they are fairly rarely seen in gun shops.

Old December 20, 2018, 09:33 AM   #19
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydoctor View Post
Save your money and just get a Ruger LCP. It's a KelTec with better quality. I would avoid a Ruger LCR. Even in 38, I find the recoil to be brutal. Pachmayr grips on one are better than Hogue but are larger negating the CCW use.
I would agree and have a LCP..but if anybody does..get a Wolff 13pound spring set..it 'calms' the recoil noticeably..still pretty snappy but that and a Hogue grip..shoot it more often.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 20, 2018, 10:45 AM   #20
HighValleyRanch

Yes, the seecamp is kinda tricky to take down, but once you understand how it works, it's a piece of cake. You have to insert a shell casing (.32 acp) to keep the slide at the proper distance and use a pin punch or similar size to punch down the pin that keeps the slide in place and then lift off the slide from the back.

Once you field strip the gun, you will be amazed at how simple this gun really is. There's only a dozen working parts (more or less). Even a caveman could totally diassemble the gun!

Mine is an early Milford.

That's especially what I like about this gun. Parts are readily available, easy to fix, and functions great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05704.JPG (222.6 KB, 2209 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05703.JPG (213.9 KB, 2212 views)

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; December 20, 2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old December 21, 2018, 03:02 AM   #21
siloshooter

not for me

had a 32 seecamp years ago . felt the build quality was good but it had other drawbacks . very small & hard to shoot accurately , kind of weird takedown procedure , & no sights is not a plus & expensive .

took it to the range shortly after receiving it & a part flew off the gun with 2nd mag of ammo. sent it to seecamp for repair . they had it several weeks as i recall . got it back , fired it , did not really like it. sold it & never looked back .when you look at the comparison pics here , remember ... a gun can be TOO small . carrying ok , but hard to shoot.
i 'd look around real good before i laid down my cash for one ! there is so many choices on the market now . i carry a glock 43 9mm & honestly i wouldn't take 3 seecamps for it .
Old December 21, 2018, 05:39 AM   #22
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I considered a lighter version of my Model 60, however they aren't much smaller (with the exception of the Ruger), and the recoil would be WORSE than my S&W unless I went down significantly in caliber.
That is part of why I prefer the LCR to the alloy J-frame. As far as recoil and caliber, aren't you already going further down in caliber with a switch to .380 or .32 acp? With .38 special or something like .32 H&R Magnum in an LCR 327, you'd arguably get a little more power with a little better recoil distribution. Of course...

Quote:
Revolvers are also a bit wide as far as pocket carry goes in my experience.
They are wider. As I said, it depends on the pocket and the pants. Another major factor here is the pocket holster. A good pocket holster controls orientation in the pocket and obscures lines over the width of that surface. I use an Elite Survival (Size 3) for the LCR and it performs admirably.

Quote:
As far as semi-autos go, there aren't that many good options that I've seen for actual, consistent pocket carry. I got a Kel-Tec .380 shortly after they came out, and got rid of it as quickly as i could. It fired, but the quality was so lacking I was surprised it didn't have "K-Mart" stamped on the side.
Besides power and recoil considerations, this was another reason that I initially went with the S&W 442 and later the LCR for pocket carry. That was the state of the market when I was getting more serious about concealed carry and "program compliance". I just didn't have a lot of love for pocket semi-autos of the time. I got excited about the S&W Bodyguard 380 when it first came out but that ended up a poor choice for me as well.

Today might be a different story. I think the market has come a long way since then. I'd still want the LCR 327 in any pants that would have it but for those few that won't? So many people seem happy with recent pocket autos like the LCP II or LC9S, Glock 42 or 43. None of them get down to the size of a Seecamp or Guardian, but they are lighter and some may be more shootable. Of course, the longer I linger on this topic, the more I start thinking that I want a Guardian in .32 NAA. I just wonder if I'd end up regretting it.
Old December 21, 2018, 07:46 AM   #23
tallball

I have handled Seecamps. The quality is very nice.

My most-carried handgun is my LCR. My second most carried is my LCPII.

The Beretta Pico is a micro 380 that the OP might like. Its quality is very nice (it's a Beretta), and the innards are stainless steel, IIRC.
Old December 22, 2018, 01:11 AM   #24
Manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
"The 32 is totally obsolete platform." In your mind.
In reality, the .32 acp is chambered in millions of guns.
Recoil in 32 is much less than .380.
You can not find a lighter pocket automatic than the P32.

Good post. I wouldn't want to get hit with any of them.

Some folks are just so knowledgeable about various calibers. I cannot help but think, "Welp, let's check your theory. Go stand out there and take a couple of rounds in the chest. Then let me know what ya think."

lol

;-)
Old December 22, 2018, 03:11 AM   #25
Sgt127

Seecamps are absolute jewels. I have a 32 that’s pushing 30 years old. It’s the final option for carrying a gun absolutely discretely.

I recently picked up a new .25 just to play with. Mines been outstanding.

I own a NAA Guardian. Nice gun, much chunkier.

The Remington RM380 is my go to pocket gun now. Probably 300 rounds through it. Never a burp.

(I owned a Rorbaugh. Beautiful gun. Could not get it to run with any ammo.)