The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 4, 2018, 03:06 PM   #51
Reloadron

USNRet93 Mentions:
Quote:
Square grip, straight pull trigger, hammer fired...single stack...not a gun snob, I’ll let ya know if I ‘like’ it..I doubt I will...

Geez, I think ya know what I meant.
Think I mentioned the 1911 just seems to fall into a love it or hate it type gun. I never seem to find many shooters who hold a middle of the road on the gun. I will also add that it seems your mind is made up. Like a new food and someone says I'll try it but I am not going to like it. They take a taste and walk away not liking it. You will seldom hear "wow that was really good".

Ron
Old December 4, 2018, 04:08 PM   #52
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93
Square grip, straight pull trigger, hammer fired...single stack...not a gun snob, I’ll let ya know if I ‘like’ it..I doubt I will...

Geez, I think ya know what I meant.
Except that none of the firearms mention have a straight pull trigger. They are all on a pivot, like a revolver.

I like the Colt Mustang and I love the CZ-75 Compact, but there's no way I would/could confuse them with a 1911.
Old December 4, 2018, 05:06 PM   #53
RickB

Quote:
A friend is bringing a 1911 (don't know what) to the range for me to try today....is this a mistake?
That's like saying a friend is bringing a car over for a test-drive; would you buy his car without having any experiences with other cars, or really know what to expect from cars by driving that one?
Old December 4, 2018, 05:53 PM   #54
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post
USNRet93 Mentions:

Think I mentioned the 1911 just seems to fall into a love it or hate it type gun. I never seem to find many shooters who hold a middle of the road on the gun. I will also add that it seems your mind is made up. Like a new food and someone says I'll try it but I am not going to like it. They take a taste and walk away not liking it. You will seldom hear "wow that was really good".

Ron
I mentioned that I’ll probably never buy one but I’ve never shot one so I’m going to on Sat.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 4, 2018, 08:35 PM   #55
cw308

Look to see how tight the slide and frame is , how the barrel fits the frame . All should be tight . Check the safety's , trigger pull and how the gun feels in your hand . Most of the time just holding the gun will give you a feel that is right or wrong . The Commander for me is the most Ballanced, not top or bottom heavy. Most 1911's have good triggers , check how magazine drops from the pistol , should not stick , most of the time it's rubbing on the trigger rails , easy fix but shouldn't happen . Oddly enough I enjoy shooting the Colt New Agent with CT Laser grips in 45ACP it's accurate and fun to shoot . Very similar to the Defender . To each his own , look at them all . In a short time you'll be hooked .
Old December 8, 2018, 11:43 PM   #56
graywolf70

Do you need one,of course not.I made the jump to get one for several reasons.One I'm getting old, or maybe already am at 74.I bought one because, I've owned several pistols but never a 1911 and am running out of time and don't want to leave anything on my list that I wanted to do.I bought a fairly expensive one,the Les Baer Custom Carry,because it will be more than likely my last and I wanted a good one,so that's my thoughts,good luck.
Old December 9, 2018, 09:00 AM   #57
USNRet93

As I promised, went to 5280 Armory in Lakewood CO and rented a Colt/45 like the one below. 100 rounds of their ammo was only $16 per box..great people there, as a shout out to the range and store.

MY impressions with the caveat that I have some artritis in my RH wrist and have a poorly repaired RH thumb that was dislocated.

-Recoil higher than my G-19 and G-17..not THAT bad, but kinda surprising considering it's weight. The dovetail as it pressed against the top of the base of my thumb..it hurt when I shot it. NOT slide bite but the downward movement against top of thumb wasn't great(I still shot about 60 of the 100 rounds, my son's shot the others, oldest son now wants one..)
-VERY accurate..at 7 and 15 years..easy to shoot 2 handed..one handed, because of heft, kinda hard, FOR ME
-Had one fail to eject..2 handed shot.
-Slide release very sensitive..once forward w/o hardly any pressure
-Mag button kinda hard to push..well used gun but I suspect that isn't a design thing but cleanliness or something. Only 7 round mag tho...Neither good nor bad..makes using ammo slower..good thing.
-Oldest son..first time shooting it, couldn't get it to fire, until safety off..DOH...he's a glock/striker guy too

Overall, great fun and glad I rented it. As I said before, the grip isn't as comfy FOR ME as the 'sculpted one' of the Glock. Great example of a traditional design and John Browning was a genius to come up with this basic design almost 110 years ago..and it's still going strong.

Gonna stick with my G-17 for now tho...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colt-Government-1911-A1-2254000-ls_1024x1024.jpg (23.4 KB, 12 views)

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 9, 2018, 11:56 AM   #58
hdbiker

He who dies with the most toys, WINS !!! hdbiker
Old December 10, 2018, 11:38 PM   #59
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Even in these days of plastic fantastic, the 1911 still has a place.

Mine is a stainless Colt 1991--replaced the plastic/rubber grips with some double diamond wood----its my most accurate handgun(not counting .22's) and a pretty good looker with the grips.
-------Metallica