The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 16, 2013, 12:23 PM   #1
globemaster3

Presidential Press Conference

So, just got done watching the conference on Fox News. Although President Obama did NOT talk about what the 23 executive orders were exactly that he signed, he did call upon congress to do the following things:

1. Universal background checks for ANYONE to buy a gun. This would close the gunshow loophole which was quoted as accounting for 40% of all gun purchases. He also called upon the background checks to be more thorough.

2. Restore a ban on military-style assault weapons and limit magazine capacity to 10 rounds.

3. Called upon congress to help rather than hinder the stopping of people purchasing guns for those who should not have them. This was very vague.

4. Called upon congress to confirm Todd Jones as the director of BATFE and blamed congress for there being no director confirmed for the last 6 years.

5. Put more cops on the streets.

Some of the items I heard him generally reference which could be part of the executive actions were:

- Strengthen background checks
- Help schools hire resource officers, if they want them
- Better mental illness reporting
- Direct CDC to research contributors to gun violence and called out the video game and movie industry specifically

Can anyone find anything concrete on the 23 items contained in the executive order he signed?
Old January 16, 2013, 12:39 PM   #2
tulsamal

It all looked very vanilla to me. I think all the scare-mongering about the EO's was refuted. Some of it is annoying.. but nothing serious. And we can defeat the legislative stuff.

The great news to me is that they aren't even trying for any sort of confiscation. At the very worst, all the existing guns and magazines would be grandfathered. I realize Feinstein's bill doesn't allow transfers, etc, but that doesn't appear to be what the President was calling for. And before somebody jumps all over me.... I said right now and appears. And I DO believe we can defeat a new AWB.

Again IMO... the anti's would have a better chance to pass this stuff if they split it up as much as possible. If they kept trying to pass a bill that only banned the future sale of magazines greater than 10 rounds and they kept attaching it to every bill they see... they might get it through some day. But the AWB as written will never make it. Times have changed since 94.

Gregg
Old January 16, 2013, 12:43 PM   #3
FlyFish

The 23 items are up on CNN. On a quick read-through there's nothing that immediately jumps off the page as being overtly draconian, but I'll need to spend some more time and give the individual items more thought. And of course the devil is always in the details, or in this case, in the implementation.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Blade37db

Makes me wonder if the Feds have decided to let the states handle the "draconian" stuff and do their dirty work.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Big discussion going on over in the General Discussion forum: POTUS to the mic NOW...
Closed Thread