The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 11, 2010, 09:01 AM   #1
Homerboy

Sling Stud on Knoxx Compstock?

For some dumb reason, Knoxx does not include this basic component of a new stock. They recommend drilling a hole about 1.5" forward of the hole already there. Using the existing hole will dmage the mechanism. first of all, anybody done this? What stud would I use? I don't like the wrap around slings. Second, I used to have the Knoxx Spec Op's, but would always get cheek slap from it. I went back to the original stock, but put a Limbsaver pad on it. Helps, but I'm looking for the maximum amount of recoil reduction. Could I fit that Limbsaver to the Compstock to increase it's recoil reduction? Is the Compstock a better alternative to the limsaver?
Old November 12, 2010, 01:10 AM   #2
idek

Maybe I did something I shouldn't have, but I put a stud in the hole that's on the stock. I'd say there is maybe a few millimeters to spare between the tip of the screw holding the mechanism in place and the stud screw. If it has compromised the stock at all, it hasn't had any ill effects yet after a couple hundred target loads, some 3" bird shells and a handful of slugs.

As for the stud I used, I just know it had wide threads so it would hold better since I used the pre-drilled hole.

I don't know if your current limbsaver would fit on the knoxx, because the compstock is fairly large at the butt end. Mine is on a mossberg, and the knoxx buttpad is at least 1/2" taller and 1/4" wider than the original buttpad.

Also, I don't know if it would be helpful to put a soft pad on the compstock anyway. I was surprised as how firm the compstock butt pad felt, but I think firm pressure may be necessary for the system to really work.

Speaking from my own experience, the compstock is very noticeably better at reducing recoil than limbsavers. That's not a knock on limbsavers--I have limbsavers on both of my 20 gauges--it's just a statement of how well the compstock works for me. It allows me to shoot 1-1/4 oz. 12ga shells as comfortably as 7/8 oz 20ga shells. Follow shots are faster too.