The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 13, 2001, 09:11 AM   #26
Marty Hayes

Never even been to Memphis. Happen to reside in WA State...

Internal politics knows no boundries.
Old March 14, 2001, 04:37 PM   #27
VictorLouis

I have to agree with Marty, too. The only article that I read was the one linked by Tac Forums. It made no mention of his outside training business. It did mention Worker's Comp, and alledged fraud. I wish him well, and hope that he's vindicated.
Old March 14, 2001, 08:36 PM   #28
RHC

I also wish him well.
For what it's worth, in most states you can receive workers' comp. for partial disability, which means you can still do some jobs, or for total disability, which is pretty much like the social security standard, no gainful employment. Most employers, if the worker is too disabled to do their job, don't worry if the guy can do some other light job, in other words they don't try to cut him off. (Social security will cut you off in an instant.) Maybe this particular employer is trying to cut costs and Mr. Suarez got caught between custom and the law as written.
Old March 16, 2001, 02:00 PM   #29
Legionnaire

Any one have an update on this? Link to local news story?
Old March 16, 2001, 02:54 PM   #30
EQP

Legionnaire,

The only link that I know of is the one posted earlier in this thread: http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_s..._Continues.htm

Old March 17, 2001, 03:17 AM   #31
amalgam

did some digging.

I read throught these, and it doesn't look good, IMO.

here's a critical point:

"Gabriel Suarez, a decorated 12-year veteran of the SMPD, also pled not guilty to two additional counts of perjury under oath. .......

The complaint states that in March Suarez said during a sworn deposition that he had not received any outside income since his alleged injury on Nov. 28, 1999 when he slipped and fell in the police department's locker room.

During the time he was on leave and collecting workers compensation, Suarez was running Suarez International, a Simi Valley based company with 12 employees, according to information obtained by The LookOut."
(March refers to March, 2000)

http://santamonicapd.org/Press_Info/...307-Arrest.htm

http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_s...with_Fraud.htm

http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_s..._Continues.htm

http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_s...e_Officers.htm

http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_s...e_Business.htm

http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_s...s_Responds.htm

http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_s...y_to_Fraud.htm

Old June 7, 2001, 05:05 PM   #32
cuerno de chivo

WEHT Gabe Suarez

Did he make out alright this or is it still going on?

TIA
Old June 8, 2001, 09:40 AM   #33
EQP

It's still going on. The initial hearing got pushed back to this month so his lawyer would have time to go through all of the evidence against him. I wish him luck!

Edit>>

Here is the link to the latest on Gabe by the local paper: http://www.surfsantamonica.com/ssm_s...with_Fraud.htm

Looks like the hearing is set for June 25th.

Last edited by EQP; June 11, 2001 at 09:45 AM.
Old June 12, 2001, 09:42 PM   #34
Gary H

The legal system is not about right and wrong. Many times it is about power and politics.

Also, you might be innocent, but you will surely go bankrupt proving it!

Last edited by Gary H; June 13, 2001 at 12:23 AM.
Old June 12, 2001, 11:50 PM   #35
Triple D

Working....

Just because someone is "Disabled" doesn't mean they have to stop doing everything. Much of running a business is paperwork/deskwork anyway. When they thought I had a broken back, I stayed on the job...didn't move around as much, but I was still capable of teaching CQC (as long as I stayed on my feet and didn't kick). In fact, being gimped makes you stir crazy...if the pain isn't too bad, you still want to do something, if only to avoid being bored. If you are a small business owner, it is even more critical that one stay "on the job," since often no one is trained or prepared to run it in your absense for more than a few days.

DDD
Old June 13, 2001, 10:33 AM   #36
Dave3006

I met him at Frontsight. He is a great man. He was the type of person that made you proud to be an American. He escaped communism in Cuba. Unfortunately, the communists in Kalifornia are out to get him now.

I am praying for him.
Old June 13, 2001, 10:45 AM   #37
Dave3006

One last thought. I hurt my back about 3 years ago. I was a mess for 9 months. I can easily see why Gabe could teach and NOT operate as a cop. When you teach, you get to chose what you do and when you do it. If you are a cop, you are reacting to situations. The amount of movement would be out of your control. Sometimes, this country makes me sick.
Old June 16, 2001, 09:01 PM   #38
Glockster35

I have only read articles he has written in the Rags, but I for one would be contacting anyone with ties to Mr. Suarez if I had any information in his favor.

I would gladly appear in court to testify that he did not instruct on positions or anything else that might depict him as a cheat. But I would only testify if this were the case and I saw it first hand.

Stand up for this LE officer/instructor if you have any information that may be favorable to his pending case. I have a feeling he is not liked in the P.D. he worked for, just simply because he is a published writer, and probably more successful than the Chief of Police. Not to mention the other state and community hired help.
Old June 19, 2001, 02:45 PM   #39
Captain

OK, How can we let Mr. Suarez know that we are in support of him? It will probably help him get thru this if he knows there are LOTS of people pulling for him! Does he have a web site? Can we get in touch with him thru it? I an in a similar position as him as far as the work problem goes. I am not able to perform my job due to an injury also.
Old June 19, 2001, 03:18 PM   #40
EQP

http://www.gabesuarez.com/
Old June 22, 2001, 04:19 AM   #41
Justin Moore

What a load of crap! I can EASILY see where Mr. Suarez could not discharge his duties as a police officer (and thus qualify for disability) and yet still teach a class. I hope he comes out on top of this, and is vindicated!
Democracy: A government of the masses, authority derived through mass meetings or any other form of direct expression; results in mobocracy; attitude toward property is communistic negating property rights; attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate whether it is based upon deliberation or governed by passion, prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences; its result is dem-o-gogism, license, agitation, discontent and anarchy.

Republic: Authority is derived through the election by the people of public officials best suited to represent them. Attitude toward property is respect for laws and individual rights and a sensible economic procedure. Attitude toward law is the administration of justice in accord with fixed principles that establish evidence with a strict regard for consequences. A greater number of citizens and extent of territory may be brought within its compass, it avoids the dangerous extremes of either tyranny or mobocracy. Results in statesmanship, liberty, reason, justice contentment and progress, is a standard for government around the world.
Old June 22, 2001, 10:42 AM   #42
Josh

I am sure he will be cleared from this. The problem arises because with all the media attention some will shy away from him and his training.
Old June 22, 2001, 10:54 AM   #43
EQP

Josh,

I think you are right on when you talk about the training aspect. I was set to take an instructor level course from him that was canceled. I must admit that my first reaction was to stay as far away from Gabe as possible with respect to training. I have since gotten a little bit smarter and am eagerly waiting a rescheduling of the class. I hope that Gabe pulls through this with his business and his life intact.
Old June 22, 2001, 05:03 PM   #44
VictorLouis

Well, he just posted on GT today. I hope that's a good sign!http://glocktalk.com/docs/gtubb/Forum4/HTML/001552.html
Old June 23, 2001, 01:58 PM   #45
Hard Ball

And Gabe is now posting on Hard Core Talk.