The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 15, 2016, 08:56 PM   #1
KyJim

Korth is here . . .

Nighthawk and Korth team up and enter the American revolver market -- http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/korth. Models include the Mongoose which appears to be the same as the National Standard, the Sky Hawk which appears to be the Sky Marshal and the Super Sport which appears to be the same as ... well, the Super Sport. http://www.korth-waffen.de/en/models.html. Supposedly, Nighthawk may have some revolvers at the NRA meeting in Louisville this upcoming week.

I'll have to say that a three inch 9mm which doesn't require moonclips appeals to me, but I just find it difficult to wrap my mind around such an ugly gun as the Sky Hawk. I like the looks of the Mongoose but find it hard to wrap my mind around the price -- $3,400! Yet, that's in the ballpark for some of the high end 1911s.
Old May 15, 2016, 09:00 PM   #2
barnbwt

Well I'll be damned; someone finally out-railed the TRR8 and 6" Chiappa Rhino --bravo.

What happened to the Sky Marshall being under 1000$? Should've known...

TCB
Old May 15, 2016, 09:16 PM   #3
Venom1956

pretty sure korths were quite a bit less before this 'team up' harder to find sure but i dont think they were approaching 4k.

Can u still get normal korths without nighthawks stamp (and cost less) on the side? the Korth stamp is the only one their gun needs imho.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old May 15, 2016, 09:27 PM   #4
KyJim

I can't answer your question. I do know that, with the right dealer, you can buy Nighthawk 1911s at below MSRP. Whether that will be true of the revolver, I don't know.
Old May 15, 2016, 09:28 PM   #5
Radny97

Korths run $4000 to $8000. This might actually be a price drop.
Old May 15, 2016, 10:13 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Will there be a range report or review? Is Korth really worth that much more and if so, what makes it so much better?

Jim (non-Korth owner)
Old May 15, 2016, 10:32 PM   #7
Model12Win

$3,500 and they're selling 'em with freaking Hogue ugly rubber grips?

Get outta here...
Old May 15, 2016, 10:51 PM   #8
Venom1956

maybe i was thinking about the Manurhin MR 73 prices? I cant remember. I'd have to handle one before i'd drop 3k on one. not huge on the rail but im a sucker for PPC style guns.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old May 15, 2016, 11:00 PM   #9
Slimjim9

I was interested in the Sky Marshal when I first heard about it but at $1700, I'm not interested.
Old May 15, 2016, 11:18 PM   #10
BigJimP

I like the super sport - but i'm not crazy about night hawk's involvement....in my view it diminish's the korth brand.....but we'll see....

I've been considering a korth for several months - but have been reluctant to make an order when I have not been able to hold and inspect one of their revolvers at this point...
Old May 16, 2016, 06:49 AM   #11
Wishoot

Insane price.

But those with the $$$$ won't think twice about buying one.
Old May 16, 2016, 09:25 AM   #12
buck460XVR

Quote:
Insane price.

But those with the $$$$ won't think twice about buying one.
^^^This. But all of us would in a heartbeat if we had the resources.
Old May 16, 2016, 09:53 AM   #13
lee n. field

Quote:
I assume that's for some gun game? That's ugly.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 16, 2016, 10:14 AM   #14
Wyosmith

Korth is here...............and at that price it's a good place for them to stay.

Speaking strictly for myself, I'd rather have an N-frame S&W or a Ruger GP100
Old May 16, 2016, 11:53 AM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

Korth has a smooth double action trigger pull and this may be attributed to the roller bearing they put on the end of the sear. The roller means that the pressure curve is gradual and smooth and doesn't have spikes (like a Ruger does).
Old May 16, 2016, 12:28 PM   #16
KyJim

There's an interesting YouTube video on whether a Korth is worth the price from a Korth owner. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZwhrxokGA. According to him, it's worth it if you have a lot of extra cash but not for most of us. While a fine revolver, there are older Colts and S&Ws (with action jobs) that shoot just as well and have a trigger just as smooth.

BigJimP said:
Quote:
I like the super sport - but i'm not crazy about night hawk's involvement....in my view it diminish's the korth brand. . .
Other than increased availability might diminish the value, I don't necessarily agree. I bought a Nighthawk 1911 a while back and it is a fantastic pistol and I have guns from Baer, Brown, and Wilson for comparison purposes. Obviously, a revolver is different than a 1911 but I'm convinced NH can make/assemble a top quality revolver with assistance from Korth.
Old May 16, 2016, 01:17 PM   #17
Skans

While I do really want a Korth .357, these simply aren't Korths. I don't know what else to say, but I'm not interested.
Old May 16, 2016, 02:55 PM   #18
BigJimP

I have guns from Wilson, one Brown and one Baer as well.../ with the poorest gun of the group coming from Baer...( and I've fired a number of Nighthawks..) ...

...and I wouldn't even trade the Baer for a Nighthawk...
--------------
I wouldn't buy a Korth with a Nighthawk logo on it..
Old May 16, 2016, 03:24 PM   #19
Venom1956

Quote:
While I do really want a Korth .357, these simply aren't Korths. I don't know what else to say, but I'm not interested.
You mean as in style and looks compared to the classic korth looks or are these actually not as nice as regular korths? Just curious.

I am really surprised and sad the 'mongoose' -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- is that name?! Or national standard (regular name) cant be gotten with the old blued finish. which was amazing.
Old May 16, 2016, 04:43 PM   #20
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Korth has a smooth double action trigger pull and this may be attributed to the roller bearing they put on the end of the sear.
That's an interesting idea. I didn't know they did that.

I had the chance to shoot one a few years ago. The DA pull was smooth, but not $2700 smoother than a S&W K-Frame.
Old May 16, 2016, 04:54 PM   #21
Skans

Quote:
You mean as in style and looks compared to the classic korth looks or are these actually not as nice as regular korths? Just curious.
Yes, purely style and looks. Since I've never owned a Korth nor handled this Nighthawk, there's no way for me to make any other type of comparison.
Old May 16, 2016, 09:46 PM   #22
Venom1956

OK just checking wasn't sure if these were maybe more mass produced or something
Old May 16, 2016, 10:20 PM   #23
KyJim

Quote:
..and I wouldn't even trade the Baer for a Nighthawk..
Different strokes. I won't belabor the point because this is a revolver thread. I will admit that even if I were to spend the kind of money we're talking about here, I wouldn't want to beta test the guns at those prices.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:58 PM   #24
SansSouci

I've never seen a Korth. What I've read has been positive.

I honestly don't know if the Korth premium is worth it when compared with a Model 27. The Model 27-2 is an excellent revolver. Those who are Python aficionados will opine identically. They're both excellent guns.
Old May 17, 2016, 02:19 PM   #25
ms6852

Normally I would not mind paying a few thousand for a gun, but this gun is so ugly, that it is like going to a bar and picking the ugliest date you want to take home and pay for it.