The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 25, 2020, 06:59 PM   #1
GaryED50

Question Smooth bore or Rifled

Hey all

In the next few months I'm looking to by a Black Powder replica long arm and trying to decide between a Smooth bore Musket (Brown Bess) Or a later Civil war percussion rifle!

What do you guys think?

Gary
Old October 25, 2020, 07:11 PM   #2
jmr40

I think that is entirely personal. I'd prefer a rifle, but there is no wrong answer.

Winston Churchill
Old October 25, 2020, 10:45 PM   #3
bamaranger

flint v. percussion

A flintlock can be a quirky ignition system and you may find it frustrating if it is your first BP firearm. There are high quality flintlocks that are quick and reliable, but what yours would be, who can say?

I sold my last flinter a couple of years ago, and do not regret it. Percussion goes bang more reliably ( for me) and a rifled barrel provides sufficient accuracy and enough range to be satisfying every shot. Suit yourself, mine would be (and are) percussion and rifled.
Old October 26, 2020, 08:19 AM   #4
Jim Watson

I have often said that if I had lived in Colonial times, I would have selected a nice light smoothbore fusil or fowling piece. With my uncorrected eyesight, a heavy rifle would have been no improvement.

I have seen folks struggling with repro flintlocks, although one friend has good luck/careful management with them.
Old October 26, 2020, 10:45 AM   #5
Pahoo

Rifled-Percussion, Bayonet to boot !!!

Quote:
Or a later Civil war percussion rifle!
You are in line for a "rifled-Musket" which had a tremendous influence in the Civil-War. So, for that reason, I would go with as rifled, percussion. last month, I sold two original rifled-muskets that looked like they had been through a war;

If your pocket-book can take the hit, look at the Pedersoli replicas. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 26, 2020, 03:27 PM   #6
GaryED50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
You are in line for a "rifled-Musket" which had a tremendous influence in the Civil-War. So, for that reason, I would go with as rifled, percussion. last month, I sold two original rifled-muskets that looked like they had been through a war;

If your pocket-book can take the hit, look at the Pedersoli replicas. .....

Be Safe !!!
Trust me I'd be buying a replica for sure. There's a lot to consider though. I started in black powder and had a 50 cal Hawken rifle before I quit for modern arms. KInda looking at the replica of the 1861 Springfiled. Dixie gun works has it in rifled or smooth bore

Gary
Old October 26, 2020, 04:25 PM   #7
Jim Watson

A smooth bore "1861" is not a faithful replica. It might be one of those Indian (Hindoo) things.
Old October 26, 2020, 05:04 PM   #8
Oliver Sudden

You didn’t say what you intended to do with it. If it’s just something to buy then it wouldn’t make a difference.
Old October 26, 2020, 06:50 PM   #9
Pahoo

"In the Sprit"?

Quote:
A smooth bore "1861" is not a faithful replica.
Here we go again and you are correct but, but just for a moment ask yourself ;is it; "In the Spirit"?
That is where I have to make my measure or I wouldn't have anything to shoot.

Lately, I have not seen Dixie, selling junk and haven't always been able to say that .....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 26, 2020, 07:19 PM   #10
Jim Watson

If I want a smoothbore, there are repro 1842s.

Maybe a smoothbore Enfield like the British furnished their Indian troops.
Old October 26, 2020, 07:43 PM   #11
GaryED50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Sudden View Post
You didn’t say what you intended to do with it. If it’s just something to buy then it wouldn’t make a difference.
Hi

I mostly want to target shoot with it. Test my skills

Gary
Old October 26, 2020, 09:11 PM   #12
big al hunter

Quote:
I mostly want to target shoot with it. Test my skills
With a smooth bore you won't be able to tell if it's you or the gun that is having issues. Get a rifle, and have fun. That's just my opinion though. You might have fun trying to shrink the group size....or maybe shotgun pattern....from a smooth bore. To each his own. I would find it frustrating.
Old October 26, 2020, 10:10 PM   #13
darkgael

Flint

I started my way into the world of BP long arms with a CVA .50 carbine. Shot it for some years. Eventually, though I tried flintlocks.....have shot nothing but rock guns since. First was a Lyman GPR....a great rifle and accurate .....but heavy. Looking for something lighter I stumbled into the world of flintlock Fowlers......elegant, light, smoothbores.
I bought my first from Matt Avance at Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders. 20 Gauge. While it was not as light as i had hoped. It served for a couple of years while Mike Brooks made me a 16 gauge gun with a 42” barrel that weighed only a tad over six pounds. It is reliable....goes bang every time that I load it properly. Takes grouse, pheasant, rabbits and loaded with a lead round ball at 16 per pound good for deer at reasonable range.
Target shooting......you will have more success with a rifle. The picture is three shots, benched, from that GPR that I mentioned. 100 yards, iron sights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E179C513-B8DC-4707-A3A8-25CD67B3A142.jpeg (3.9 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by darkgael; October 27, 2020 at 05:28 AM.
Old October 27, 2020, 01:30 AM   #14
Scorch

Well, "target shooting" with a smoothbore mean 50 yds or less. "Target shooting" with a rifled musket can be out to 200 yds. From a used-to-be primitivist, get a rifle.
Old October 27, 2020, 08:27 PM   #15
jrothWA

think a "rilfe bore may sell better than a smoothbore.

I have three ML's. one T/C New Englander .50 CAl,a 12ga N.E, and a mossberg 50 ca, barrel for a M500.
een looking to secure the .54 Cal., N.E. to complete the three some.
Old October 28, 2020, 09:48 AM   #16
Drm50

I have had only one quality repro flint lock, a TC Hawkin. Seldom seen in Ohio where we were allowed percussion in deer season. Still PIA unless that’s your thing, it ain’t mine. The TC was quality piece but no Flinter likes the rain. I would opt for a cap lock rifle if I was buying my first. Also buy something deer legal in your state. Makes it easier to sell if you decide to get out. I dig out originals to trade into guns I do want. Signed originals have a big collector market. I bought a set of books on Ohio built guns for $140, worth twice the price.
Old October 28, 2020, 01:46 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

What's your budget?
A Brown Bess is kind of a pricey critter. A Pedersoli runs $1139.99 at Cabela's. A kit runs about $100ish less. Dixie wants $1550.00 for a Bess Trade gun.
Traditions wants $879.00 for an 1861 percussion Springfield kit. Dixie wants $995.00 for a ready to shoot 1861.
"...with a smooth bore mean 50 yds or less..." 75 if you're adventuresome. snicker.
"...out to 200..." Hit an elephant at this distan....." Supposedly a good shot could go to 500 during your Civil War.
Old October 28, 2020, 01:55 PM   #18
GaryED50

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
What's your budget?
A Brown Bess is kind of a pricey critter. A Pedersoli runs $1139.99 at Cabela's. A kit runs about $100ish less. Dixie wants $1550.00 for a Bess Trade gun.
Traditions wants $879.00 for an 1861 percussion Springfield kit. Dixie wants $995.00 for a ready to shoot 1861.
"...with a smooth bore mean 50 yds or less..." 75 if you're adventuresome. snicker.
"...out to 200..." Hit an elephant at this distan....." Supposedly a good shot could go to 500 during your Civil War.
I may be in a position to afford $1500.00 by May of next year so that will give me at least one long gun.

Gary
Old October 28, 2020, 02:54 PM   #19
Rockrivr1

A couple years ago I went with a smoothbore replica Brown Bess. I've read some say above that people have had trouble with a flintlock when they first start out but luckily I've had no problems. You get a good flint and mount it with a piece of leather and all you need is powder. Most Brown Bess will be in .75 caliber. I shoot both .69 and .75 balls with a lubed patch. Once you get your rifle get onto "Track of the Wolf" web site. They are great for everything you will need to get started.

I bought my Brown Bess from the Middlesex Village Trading Company. http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/ Their reproduction guns start at about $650 and go up from there. I've got hundreds of rounds through mine and it's still running strong.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old October 29, 2020, 02:03 PM   #20
Jim Watson

The local gunsmith's personal hobby is NMLRA. He showed a target shot with a smoothbore fusil at 25 yards. Looked about like a typical modern pistol group.
Old October 30, 2020, 05:47 AM   #21
darkgael

Quote:
I bought my Brown Bess from the Middlesex Village Trading Company. http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/ Their reproduction guns start at about $650 and go up from there. I've got hundreds of rounds through mine and it's still running strong.
i have a blunderbuss from MVTC.....it is a hoot to shoot.
Old October 30, 2020, 09:48 AM   #22
reinert

If it's possible for you in your area, find someone who'll let you try one out, flint and/or percussion. Then, after the session, if possible, be in on the cleaning of the gun, too. If this is your first commitment on a muzzleloader, you'll need to know what's all involved from the first shot from a clean gun, until you put it away properly cleaned for the next outing.

A while back I was considering a purchase on an M1861 Springfield. It would have been a Pedersoli, hands down. Still considering, haven't yet. Might be hard to find one new these days. (?)
Old November 1, 2020, 07:47 PM   #23
GaryED50

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinert View Post
If it's possible for you in your area, find someone who'll let you try one out, flint and/or percussion. Then, after the session, if possible, be in on the cleaning of the gun, too. If this is your first commitment on a muzzleloader, you'll need to know what's all involved from the first shot from a clean gun, until you put it away properly cleaned for the next outing.

A while back I was considering a purchase on an M1861 Springfield. It would have been a Pedersoli, hands down. Still considering, haven't yet. Might be hard to find one new these days. (?)
Excellent idea I'll start checking around. all of my Black Powder experience is Cap and ball revolvers. I've never fired a flintlock

Gary
Old November 1, 2020, 08:07 PM   #24
4V50 Gary
Staff

Rifle musket (Civil War minie ball).
Old November 1, 2020, 08:36 PM   #25
darkgael

Flintlock Fowler

Probably should also be in the classified section but I just thought about it now. See my post #13.
I have a 20 gauge flintlock fowler by Matt Avance of Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading that I no longer use. Nothing wrong with the gun; I am not able to hunt the uplands with my back the way it is. The gun is available. (My other fowler in 16 gauge I am keeping.)
Interested? Let me know here and by PM.
Pete
Info and pics from TVM. Ignore the $.
https://www.tvmnatchez.com/fowler

Last edited by darkgael; November 1, 2020 at 08:52 PM.