The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 23, 2014, 03:26 PM   #1
jeager106

Most accurate 7.62 X 39 ammo

Tule
Military Classic
Read Army Std.
Poly Performance
Brown Bear
Silver Bear
Golden Bear
anything else I missed.
In any rifle, be it an SKS, Ak, or AR.
I want to stock up while the "e" outfits have ammo for 20.5 to 22.5 cents a pop.
I did a search on this forum on this topic but came up zero.
Accurate is in what size groups at what distance, not "I can hit a melon
a ways off".
My primary defend family, me & property, is an AR in said caliber & an SKS.
Then the s.g., other ARs & handguns.
Right now I'm shy on 7.62X39 boolits, got lots of 5.56 tho.
Buckshot in good shape with Wally 25 rnd box of 00 at just under $12 bucks.
Thanks for your help. Would prefer s.p. but h.p. & fmj is good 'nuff.
Old August 23, 2014, 03:59 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

No such thing as an accurate SKS or AK. Neither was made for accuracy. Nor was accuracy ever considered to be important as the illiterate conscripts they were built for were not trained to shoot accurately.
However, you'll have to try a box of as many brands as you can, out of each rifle, to find the ammo that both shoots well and cycles the action. Cycling isn't likely to be an issue though.
"...defend family, me & property..." From what? Using a rifle isn't a good idea. Especially in town. Too much penetration. You are responsible for where every bullet you fire ends up. If that is in your neighbour's house or your neighbour, you get arrested.
Old August 23, 2014, 04:10 PM   #3
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:
No such thing as an accurate SKS or AK.
Stop right there.

First off. You're right, they weren't built for accuracy. But they are, they're just not precise. You can hit a Man-Sized target at 200 Yards every time. That is accurate enough.

Second, Using a rifle is a good idea, some people don't like to use shotguns and don't want to be on the "12 gauge or nothing bandwagon". You can dispatch an intruder faster with an SKS than with a pump shotgun. And with greater precision.

Third, A Hollow point 7.62x39 isn't likely to penetrate that far.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 23, 2014, 04:37 PM   #4
spacecoast

I guess this isn't considered "accurate" by some, but it sure impressed me considering I'm not even a rifle shooter. Done over iron sights with my tired old eyes and the cheap stuff (Tula).

Old August 23, 2014, 04:38 PM   #5
AK103K

Quote:
No such thing as an accurate SKS or AK.
They seem to be as accurate as any of the other military (type) rifles Ive shot over the years, and more than capable the hands of a competent rifle shooter.

As with any of them, ammo is as much of an issue, if not more so, than the guns themselves.

The 7.62x39 Ive had the best results with, consistently, has been the old Barnaul (pre "Bears") 125 grain SP's.

They have a bullet that has a jacketed base, and the bullet looks very much like Sierra Game Kings. All of the other 7.62x39s Ive pulled, have had an exposed lead, roll crimped base, much like our 147 grain ball rounds in 7.62x51.

The difference is, some, such as Wolf, have varying quality control, and often have lead "smears" at the crimp. Since the base of the bullet is more critical than the tip, when it comes to accuracy, that is a major problem.

Ive shot a lot of Wolf over the years, and had a lot of variation in performance. Some lots shoot great, others, terrible. I also almost always had a couple of "duds" per case with them.

That said, I currently have a couple of cases of Wolf 154 grain SPs, that are quite accurate, and my AK's seem to like them.

Most military (type) ammo Ive come across, seems to be in the 2-4moa range spec wise. Except for some crappy lots of Wolf, I havent found 7.62x39 to be any different. All my AK's and SKS's, shoot/shot around 3-4" at 100 yards as the norm.

I will suggest, when you find something your gun likes, if its possible, buy in bulk/case lots, and as many as you can at the time.
Old August 23, 2014, 04:42 PM   #6
Mosin-Marauder

I agree with this^
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 23, 2014, 07:36 PM   #7
jeager106

T. O'Heir:
Wasn't trying to start a philosophical debate, just wanted an answer to a not so complicated question.
A couple comments tho. "Defend from what?" isn't part of the question.
I'm shooting an AR in X 39 & the accuracy surprised me.
I sighted in at 50 & was disappointed until I saw the peep was loose.
Put on a red dot & shot 3 groups of five at 50 that were 3/4" & one was a ragged 5 shot hole. So who said I was using an AK?????
RE: steel jacketed h.p. X 39 ammo. The h.p. WILL NOT expand.
I've been around the shooting sports longer than many of you have been alive.
I'm better trained & more experienced than most also.
As far as penetration or over penetration I'm more aware of liability than most people are too.
I live in the country with no close nieghbors, surrounded by woods.
I simply want to stock up on ammo in X 39 while it's still affordable & don't want to buy junk ammo.
I only began seriously looking at the X 39 in recent weeks when I bought my X 39 upper. I've owned & ditched 3 AK rifle3, & 4 SKS rifles over the years keeping just one as a fun range blaster. The AR in X 39 surprised me.
Now the topic was: is there a brand of bi-metal imported ammo one better than the others?
Old August 23, 2014, 07:41 PM   #8
jeager106

AK103K:
I agree that crap ammo is a lot of the issues with the accuracy of the SKS & AK.
I've pulled a lot of X 39 ammo and found wide variance in weight & diameter.
Also powder charges vary quite a bit.
Worse mil ammo I ever checked was a lot of 1944 Russian X 54.
Bullets varied 5 grains, some diameters were .308 to .312! in the same can.
I've never shot the 154 grain before so that is worth a try.
And thanks.
Old August 23, 2014, 07:49 PM   #9
AK103K

While the couple of cases of Wolf 154 SP's seem to shoot well for me, Im still going to suggest you try Barnaul 125 grain SP's (probably old stock at this point) or one of their current "Bear" banner loadings. As I said earlier, they have always been the most consistent for me.
Old August 23, 2014, 07:51 PM   #10
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:
RE: steel jacketed h.p. X 39 ammo. The h.p. WILL NOT expand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF89dysghUs

Also, steel jacketed? No Steel jacketed commercial loads available. Bi Metal metal cores, copper jacketed. For HD, I would use the above Hornady.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 23, 2014, 07:51 PM   #11
TXAZ

As noted above, in the 100-200 yard range, the 7.62x39 probably has more kills than any other cartridge in the world. At these ranges, which it was designed for, it is 'accurate enough'.
Conversely, finding real "match grade" 7.62x39 is a challenge.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 23, 2014, 08:00 PM   #12
AK103K

Quote:
No Steel jacketed commercial loads available.
I think most of the import 7.62x39 is mild steel jacketed, some with a copper wash.

The "HP's" Ive seen, are not really an expanding bullet, more like the Sierra Match King, although they are not "match" bullets. All the ones Ive pulled, have all had roll crimp bases. I think they were just a sales gimmick.

Now these were steel jacketed and steel cores, and are no longer importable.....

$100 a 1200 round case to boot. Ahhh, the good old days!
Old August 23, 2014, 09:07 PM   #13
jeager106

I doubt anyone could ever argue that the SKS/AK/ X39 were not "accurate enough". Of course it's accurate enough.
I just can't settle for "accurate enough". I was the best I can get.
I'm not about the handload for the X39, not when I can get ammo for 21/22 cents a shot.
Being an Oh. deer hunter stuck pretty much with smooth bores & foster slugs back in the day we didn't settle for accurate enough & found ways to get a smooth bore to shoot foster slugs under 3" at 100 with consistancy.
Call it a 'quirk' if you like but I desire all the accuracy I can get from whatever "platform" I'm shooting, ergo the quest for the best I can get from my AR X39.
I just might have to settle for 4" at 100 from my AR rig.
I'm not all that interested in the AR X39 for "in house" defense either.
I have better choices for that, but that's only an opinion.
Many don't realize how devestaing the fierce blast from a powerful rifle or s.g. is either & the noise might cause permanent hearing loss.
I'll stick with my Kimber .45s for that.
Old August 23, 2014, 09:09 PM   #14
jeager106

Quote:

I guess this isn't considered "accurate" by some, but it sure impressed me considering I'm not even a rifle shooter. Done over iron sights with my tired old eyes and the cheap stuff (Tula).

Not bad, not bad at all.
Old August 24, 2014, 09:14 PM   #15
reynolds357

The big factor would be is your barrel a .311 or a .308.
Old August 26, 2014, 03:04 AM   #16
Darker Loaf

Hornady SST's are my favorite for accuracy: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116...case-box-of-50

I'd say that AK's can be pretty accurate. Mine can pull off 1 MOA, which is better than some AR's. (Though AR's are more accurate at their best.)
Old August 26, 2014, 06:53 AM   #17
Jim567

I have some coming
Will post some pics of the Saiga throwing it out at 100 yards.
Old August 30, 2014, 06:11 PM   #18
bamaranger

Lapua

Lapua mfg'd x39mm ammo, brass cased, reloadable, I would have to think, given the brands reputation for quality ammo, would overall be the winner in any "accuracy" contest from any action for factory ammo.

And yes this is the "semi-auto" forum", but there are bolt rifles in x39mm that can likely milk the best accuracy from the cartridge.

My Mini-30, an older one w/ .308 bore, liked W-W ammo, FMJ and soft points too, very well, 3MOA, which was about the Mini's limit. I had a quantity of Lapua from back 15 yrs or more, and shot near all of it up, before I realized what I had. Never have shot the Mini with the handful of remaining Lapua ctgs.
Old August 30, 2014, 09:27 PM   #19
ronl

I have fired just about every 7.62x39 ammo out there. South African, German, Czech, S&B, Norinco, Russian of all types, as well as several US manufactured ones, and honestly, there wasn't much difference that I noticed, but I was shooting AK's or SKS's and MOA precision wasn't expected. Your rifle, on the other hand is probably capable of excellent accuracy. My suggestion would to buy different ammo and try it out just to see. Still, that's no guarantee, as there can be variation in lots. Reynolds asked the primary question that really needs to be answered as to the rifle bore diameter in order to achieve the best precision available. Now if you were to load your own.........