The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 24, 2013, 11:16 AM   #1
fsfty

Blued Model 36 for Carry

I've read that carrying a blued model 36 will lead to rust, as the gun is touching skin, sweat, etc. Is this true, and if so, how can I avoid this?
Old May 24, 2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Webleymkv

It would depend on how you carry it. I've been carrying a blued M36 as a pocket gun for a bit over three years now and it's suffered no noticable finish wear.

Since you're concerned about the gun rusting from rubbing against skin, I assume you're planning to carry on a belt (either IWB or OWB). Even on my stainless guns, I don't like the gun rubbing against my skin so I always wear a thin tank top under the gun with another shirt over the gun as a cover garment. As to other concerns about finish wear, the best thing you can do is keep the gun very lightly oiled and carry it in a well-fitting holster.
Old May 24, 2013, 01:08 PM   #3
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsfty

I've read that carrying a blued model 36 will lead to rust, as the gun is touching skin, sweat, etc.
Is this true, and if so, how can I avoid this ?
Clean/oil it daily.......religiously ( aka: w/o fail).

"Before I lay me down to sleep, my CCW I will clean/oil & keep". .

Old May 24, 2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Grant D

You could get a Crossbreed SuperTuck, which has leather between you and the gun.
I have the Mini Tuck for my LC9 and it works great.
Old May 24, 2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Skadoosh

I wear my Model 36 in an IWB holster and it gets pretty hot and sticky here in Virginia during the summer. Purchase/use a holster that covers the exposed metal of your gun as much as possible, like this Bianchi Pro 100 does with my Model 36:

Old May 24, 2013, 04:35 PM   #6
stu925

I carry a blued M36 fairly regularly (especially in the summer) although it's not my primary carry gun. I have not had any rust issues with the gun and all I do is keep a thin coat of oil on the gun and use a holster that protects all of the steel. It gets pretty swampy here in the summer also and no issues.

Stu
Old May 24, 2013, 11:57 PM   #7
michael t

I wax mine with good wax and then wipe down every day with a silicone cloth . Between the 2 keeps rust away. Always carry in a good holster
Old May 25, 2013, 09:13 AM   #8
Glenn Dee

Just wipe it down every couple of days. Take the stocks off and wipe down under the stocks, double if it's wearing rubber stocks. There will be some holster wear, and handling wear. All guns get it... It's just more noticeable on a blued gun.
Old May 26, 2013, 01:29 AM   #9
bamaranger

take care ot it

You can do it, one just has to work harder to keep the little revolvers from rusting. A daily wipe down, and every so often, pop the grips and get beneath them. I usually keep a swab or brush on a rod handy and pop the bore and cylinders regularly too.

That said, a M60 is a whole lot simpler, and the reason they were so darn popular, and still are.