The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 14, 2012, 09:14 PM   #1
KyJim

Gold Cup Trophy -- First Range Trip

I recently purchased a Colt Gold Cup Trophy. I own other 1911s but always wanted a Gold Cup and this scratched the itch. This is my second Colt 1911 on Colt's CNC machinery and the GCT looks nice. Slide to frame fit is much tighter than my "older" Colts, bushing was finger tight, and seems to lock up okay, though not with a "snap." The trigger had minimal take-up and negligible over-travel. It was smooth and broke cleanly but was heavy for a target pistol, maybe five and half pounds. Just a guess.

I only put about 75 rounds through it as I had another pistol to shoot today, too. Not a hiccup with 230 gr. FMJ from Aguilla. Below is a target with my first 30 shots, rapid fire (no double taps) at 30 feet. I'm no marksman, that's for sure. I started a little low. I'll let the gun settle in some more before adjusting sights. I may get the trigger worked on but I like this gun.

This is the other gun I took today, a Dan Wesson PM-7 in 10mm.

Old September 15, 2012, 08:48 AM   #2
loose_holster_dan

i've got one in stainless. love it.

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old September 15, 2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Pilot

I think the 1911's Colt is making now are some of the best in years. I have two 01918 WWI Repros which are marvelous. Good shooters two. For sub $1K, Colt makes a nice gun.
Old September 15, 2012, 10:07 AM   #4
bil

"Loose Holster Dan" I like the g-10 grips you have on there. Can you tell me where you got them and what color they are?
(I'm testing a stainless GCT tomorrow, so beginning to look for grips and a holster.)
Thanks,
Bil
Old September 15, 2012, 11:13 AM   #5
KyJim

Quote:
I think the 1911's Colt is making now are some of the best in years. I have two 01918 WWI Repros which are marvelous. Good shooters two. For sub $1K, Colt makes a nice gun.
That's pretty much been my limited experience with this gun and my Anniversary III model. They are much better guns than my 1980s vintage Combat Elite. For what you're getting (especially if you're not a MIM fan), they are a good value.

LoosHoldterDan -- I agree that those are very nice grips. The stock Pachmayers are nothing great to look at but they feel marvelous and the wrap around is a a cheap alternative to checkering.
Old September 15, 2012, 03:26 PM   #6
gunluver

Thanks for the report, I also have been thinking about adding a GC to my collection.

As far as loose holster dan's grips......they look like VZ Operator 2's. My guess from the picture would be black desert sand color
Old September 17, 2012, 07:20 AM   #7
loose_holster_dan

they are vz operator ii's.
i can't remember, but i think they were black gray

this picture, while less artistic, has better lighting on the grips
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."