The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2008, 10:09 PM   #26
TexasSeaRay

Ford also recommended a slight underinflation of the tires for a better, smoother and quieter ride. That is not a good idea for steel-belted radials and is a leading cause for sidewall blowouts--which is what was happening.

As far as casting, if you acquire a low-cost or free source of scrap lead, there is no way you or anyone else will convince me that one who casts his own bullets is not saving a significant amount of money.

Even moreso if they shoot on average 400 - 600 rounds a week.

For what it's worth, I shoot both lead and copper. I have some loads in which I strongly prefer lead over copper, and vice versa.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old February 15, 2008, 10:16 PM   #27
Foxbat

Ken O, what is total time you spend making 1000 bullets?

Lucky dog... I wish I had such a pit! But wait... I would be shooting much more then...
Old February 15, 2008, 10:37 PM   #28
freakshow10mm

With a 6 cavity mold, RCBS sizer, you are looking at 1 hour to cast perhaps two hours to size. With the Star sizer I have coming in, I can size just as fast as I cast. I normally run 2 6 cavity molds and can drop 1800 bullet per hour.

So three hours labor for the average caster, saving about $105 over jacketed is about $33-35 per hour savings.
Old February 15, 2008, 11:04 PM   #29
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Lucky dog... I wish I had such a pit! But wait... I would be shooting much more then..
I hear that, brother. I hear that. . .

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old February 16, 2008, 08:17 PM   #30
45Marlin carbine

I load and shoot hard-cast slugs in my .32 acp and .380 acp. low power practice rounds. I like to shoot enough with these pistols to maintain my skill level as they are my carry guns. it's unbeleivable what new ammo is costing for these 2. plated .380 slugs are available but not .32acp. there is some extra cleaning time involved but the Berretas are easily done and it's just 4-5 times yearly. or so. it's worth it to me. and I reload my 9mm also but new ammo isn't too bad so I load the hulls with premium bullets - Golden Sabre usually.
Old February 16, 2008, 10:38 PM   #31
Ken O

Foxbat, I havent really timed myself casting. I don't think I cast as fast as others, but I enjoy doing it. Its kind of strange, I don't really enjoy reloading its almost work, but casting is totaly different, its fun. I wonder if others are warped like me.

I got a nice setup for shooting, I can shoot rifle to the pistol pit out of the garage which is 75 yards. I plow so I can shoot in the winter. I have a 150 yard range out the back door, but there is about three foot of snow back there right now. I would like to put in 600 yards but the lay of the land screws me up (hilly). Then bordering my property there is miles of state forest, so a pretty good buffer zone.
Old February 17, 2008, 01:41 AM   #32
Yellowfin

As for hardening the lead a little to be more tolerable to certain guns, what metals should one use and how much?
Old February 17, 2008, 01:42 AM   #33
freakshow10mm

http://www.lasc.us

Click on Cast Bullet Notes. Grab a cold one.
Old February 17, 2008, 01:59 AM   #34
Yellowfin

Will wheel weights be difficult to come by in CA? I gather they're real sticklers about lead in that part of the world.
Old February 17, 2008, 08:15 AM   #35
gun44

Cost

Though I try to save money, reloading, my biggest reason is FUN! If you start worrying too much about cost, you start taking the FUN out of reloading! IMHO
Old February 17, 2008, 08:37 PM   #36
Ken O

Wheelweights are getting harder to come by. I used to have several tire shops that were glad to get rid of the "hazardest waste". Now recylers are coming in and offering much more money than I am willing to pay. Also, zinc wheelwheights are showing up more frequently, it only takes a couple to ruin a whole batch. There are some tricks to keep them from contaminating by keeping the smelting temp down so you can skim them off before they melt. The best way is to reconize a zinc WW before it gets into the melt.

I have about a half ton stashed, but I go through qute a bit.

If anyone is interested in casting, go over to http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ and lurk for a while, lots of good info there, and group buys on molds, gas checks ets. Ken