The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 18, 2005, 05:12 PM   #1
Poodleshooter

Why the lack of replica styled flintlock pistols?

I've always wondered why the market for reasonably correct, larger flintlock pistols seems so dismal? Lyman only sells a percussion single shot version of their Great Plains Pistol, when they build the lockwork for a flint GPR already. T/C hasn't had one that I know of (the Patriot was percussion only,IIRC). CVA and others have only produced a few "modern styled" pistols such as the Trapper. There are a few delicate looking Queen Anne styled pistols around,but those don't float my boat....
What I'd like to see are some nice examples of heavily stocked late 1600's pistols-gaudy wood and metal stocks with huge smoothbores and enormous locks, or even some later British Sea Service pistols dating up to the Napoleonic wars. All I seem to find online are "nonfiring replicas" and other abominations.
Who sells "horse pistols" or pistols suitable for repelling boarders?
Old March 18, 2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Mike Weber

I'm another shooter who would like to see some authentic style large flintlock pistols on the market. I did see some parts kits a couple years ago for building a reproduction of the British Sea Service pistols, I'd also like to se a reproduction kit for the George Washington flint pistols. If I remember correctly those Sea Service kits were being sold by "The Rifle Shoppe" and they were darn near a build it from scratch proposition.
A place for firearms enthusiasts to congregate.
Old March 18, 2005, 06:03 PM   #3
PaleRyder

Around my area it seems classic muzzle loading replica rifles are getting scarce too.
Old March 18, 2005, 06:11 PM   #4
mec

Could be that black powder is so hard to find that people do the percussion thing because they can use substitutes. Pedersoli does make some match quality flinters though.
Old March 18, 2005, 09:10 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

And the good news is...

Flintlock pistols may be had. You guys don't subscribe to either Muzzle Loader or Muzzle Blasts magazine and I've got articles printed by both of them. O.K., enough bragging.

Middlesex Village Trading Company
623 Meany Road
Charleston, NH 03603
603-826-5825 or email: [email protected]
http://www.MiddlesexVillageTrading.com

Now, they have four types of flintlock pistols. The Elliot Light Dragoon with a 9" bbl, a Ketland Trade Pistol (with swamped barrel), a French model 1773 (with steel belt hook) and a Royal Highland Regiment round (and engraved) barrel pistol. Price is $299 each plus shipping. They've got other models to choose from including one with a folding bayonet (evil and subject to unwelcome glares by the antis).
Old March 18, 2005, 09:34 PM   #6
Mike Weber

Great link Gary! And very reasonable prices. You've durn near got me talked into subscribing to Muzzle Blasts.
A place for firearms enthusiasts to congregate.
Old March 21, 2005, 11:41 AM   #7
20cows

Dixie Gun Works

I just got a copy of their latest catalogue and I feel like a kid in a toy store. Take a look in that and I believe you'll see more flintlock pistols than you can shake a stick at (though I don't know what good shaking a stick at something like that would be).

They also have enough parts to roll your own, almost from scratch.
Old March 22, 2005, 04:37 PM   #8
Poodleshooter

Sweet!!
Thanks Gary!
Now I'll have something to wear to the opener of "Pirates of the Caribbean II"