The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2009, 10:31 PM   #1
Deer Slayer 270

small pistol magnum primer in 40 S&W?

I am about to start reloading 40 S&W for the first time and as others have hard time finding primers, specifically small pistol primers as called out for this caliber. I have been able to locate some small pistol magnum primers and was wondering if I could use it on this caliber? Is it going to make any difference in pressure, accuracy or velocity?
Old December 2, 2009, 10:53 PM   #2
qcpunk

Personally I would be hesitant to use SPM primers on .40. It is already a high pressure load and I would be concerned about raising the pressure too much. But I hope we can get some of the more experienced guys to ring in. I would like to know more on the topic as well.
Old December 3, 2009, 12:30 AM   #3
freakshow10mm

When changing any component, start at the start charge and work up.
Old December 3, 2009, 07:48 PM   #4
The_Vigilante

small pistol magnum primer in 40 S&W?

I am currently using Small Pistol magnum primers in my .40 S&W loads and haven't had any problems. From more experienced reloaders than myself they add anywhere from 5-15 fps depending on the load. Again as counselled start from bottom and work your way up always checking for signs of pressure.
Old December 3, 2009, 08:27 PM   #5
Shoney

I have used magnum primers in loads that call for regular primers quite a bit. I have done this particularly with ball powders and have done it with many non-ball powders as well in the 40SW.

I start out with the powder at the minimum listed charge weight and try never to exceed 10% below the max listed charge in the work up. That may be a little conservative, however, I have attained good accuracy below max and have stopped the workups before going into the "danger range".

As an aside, I couldn't tell any difference between regular Remington SP and Federal SP Mags across the chronograph, when comparing identical loads of powder. However, I did not charge higher than 10% below the published max.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 6, 2009, 09:59 PM   #6
ftlewismp

SPM in 40SW

Like all the others I have been using SPM primers in my loads without failure. Like others mention start off light and work your way up..I shoot a cast 175 grain truncated nose bullet with 5 grains of HP38 without any failure. Happy shooting =)