The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 13, 2016, 07:05 AM   #1
rebs

I have astigmatism

When I use a red dot the dot is not clear, I see a blurry dot with one or two lines off of it. Would it be the same with a red dot with crosshairs or would I be able to see the crosshairs like I do with a normal scope ?
Old May 13, 2016, 07:39 AM   #2
dahermit

When I use Red Dot to reload for my .44 Special the red dots are perfectly clear.
Old May 13, 2016, 07:44 AM   #3
Jimro

If you see two lines coming off the dot it can be a sign that you have the brightness up too high. If lowering the brightness doesn't make the lines go away then try placing the red dot as far forward as you possibly can to help your eye put the red dot in the same focal plane as the target.

If those don't fix the problems odds are a traditional scope is a better option for you.

Jimro
Old May 13, 2016, 08:52 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

This doesn't really look like a handloading question, so I'm going to move this thread. rebs, if I'm wrong, just let me know and I'll gladly move it back.
Old May 13, 2016, 12:59 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

Having just gone through this myself last year, I'll answer your question without "guessing" what the answer is. You might have an astigmatism or you might have an early stage cataract. Either can cause this type of optical aberration. If it's something you've always had, it's most likely an astigmatism. If it's something you've recently developed, it's most likely a developing cataract. The good news is that it can be corrected for either cause. Simply getting a new pair of glasses can remove the aberration from your view of any round light source. Cataract surgery will replace the defective lens in your eye and give you a round image of the light source. Going to a lighted cross hair in a red dot will still give you an optical aberration of the light. Seeing the "comet tail" from a red dot is in all probability a developing cataract. I was probably several years away from needing any surgery to correct the cataracts I was developing but opted to get it done simply to keep my shooting vision as good as possible. Some people never need to get the surgery done but if it's interfering with your activities, it's an option to get your vision back to where you want it. After having it done, my vision in both eyes is 20/15.....as good as it was when I was a teenager.
Old May 13, 2016, 05:09 PM   #6
qrz

Suggesting something other than what has been posted: If you shoot w/ one eye closed, that can cause (not always) the other eye muscles to mess w/ the focus of the sighting eye. Learn to shoot with both eyes open and relaxed if possible. Another possibility...what's your sugar numbers.... Whoa, just noticed what time it is...gotta go to work....
Old May 21, 2016, 02:12 AM   #7
cloudcroft

Rebs,

I had a similar issue (also have an astigmatism, left eye) when I ordered a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot sight (had many positive reviews) and was VERY surprised to find the dot slightly blurry! Had to return it even though I'm sure it wasn't defective, as apparently my EYES were defective!

Went to my local Bass Pro store and tried some more red dots sights (all with tubes like the TRS-25) of different brands and they were the very same: Blurry would-not-focus-sharply red dots. Saw some REFLEX sights there on the shelf and tried a "Sightmark Ultra Shot QD Reflex Sight" (with 4 selectable red reticles) and ALL the reticles were sharp and focused.

So what I came away with after all that is:

-- a red dot using a tube wasn't going to work for me no matter how good they were. I needed a reflex sight (heads-up/window if you will) instead instead of a tube.

-- you need to try red-dot type sights out IN-PERSON, as there is NO OTHER WAY to be SURE they will work for you. Especially if you have eye aberrations.

A traditional rifle scope is no problem -- even for us with astigmatisms -- so you can buy those online sight-unseen with no worry. But red dots ARE a problem, so go to a local gun shop (or Bass Pro, Cabelas, Gander Mtn or Big Box store) and try them in-person. Most likely, you'll be needing a reflex sight vs. a "traditional" tube-type red dot sight.

Or perhaps a so-called "hologram" sight would also work.

Just don't order a red dot/reflex/hologram sight online...you need to choose one in-person so you can TRY it before you BUY it!

Good luck,

-- c

Last edited by cloudcroft; May 21, 2016 at 02:25 AM.
Old May 21, 2016, 06:23 AM   #8
rebs

Thanks for the help, I will check out some at Gander Mountain
Old May 21, 2016, 06:53 AM   #9
stagpanther

I too have astigmatism and have found redots/holograms very hard to work with--no matter who makes them. I've tried for years to get them to work with hand guns but it's no go for the most part, plus when shooting into bright sunshine the only way I can see them is to turn them up to full power (big blob) and my accuracy was only marginally better than with stock irons. Leupold's 2.5x scout scope has very nice sharp crosshairs that I can see easily with both eyes open and has a fairly long eye relief--but that can be problematic getting on a hand gun.

If you have a long gun then you have the advantage of using the barrel's length--my eyes can just start bringing an object into focus if it's out there at 32 inches or so, so traditional irons might work with the right set-up. Shorter carbines/ sporter rifles I have to use a scope--nothing else really works well for me.

getting old sucks.
Old May 21, 2016, 07:16 AM   #10
rebs

I have a Savage 99 with tang mounted peep sight on it and have no problem. But regular iron sights are not working that much for me. I can shoot handgun with iron sights but the target is blurred. I can keep my shots mostly in the black but not all 10 or x ring.
Old May 21, 2016, 05:52 PM   #11
cloudcroft

rebs,

You're welcome...let us know how it goes and what works for you -- or not.

stagpanther,

I would not be using any optical sights of any kind on a handgun, just iron sights will do for them as a handgun's 99.9% use would be VERY close-up. And I don't hunt or target-shoot with a handgun so that's not a need for me. It's ALL self-defense/security applications, period.

So I wanted to get 2 optical sights for 2 of my SKSs. Given the caliber (7.62x39) and their short-range mission, nothing long-range optics-wise was needed so a traditional scope wasn't a first choice. The sights I wanted needed to be small & compact, and were to mount on the integral sight-rail the Tapco SKS gas-tube/forearms have.

However, if NONE of the red dots/hologram/reflex sights worked for me, then for sure I'd would have gotten a short/compact traditional scope to use...just one with very low power like 1X or 2X maybe -- just to help my older eyes get on target better vs. iron sights.

But then again, I have my SKSs as my chosen "repel boarders" gun for home and car use...so they are for VERY close ranges anyway (and, as hard target penetrators), like across a parking lot at most. So even with iron sights, at such close ranges they'd be fine. But during low-light conditions (dusk & dawn) illuminated dot sights might have an edge orver a traditional scope if it didn't gather enough light.

Note: The only thing I do NOT like about my Sightmark reflex sights is the batteries: Not the easiest to find AND not very long-lasting. Perhaps the models out NOW do better in both regards, I don't know, but DO check that out for sure before buying ANY brand/type of scope using batteries.

I just wanted something more precise and on the same plane (vs. lining up 2 iron sights on 2 different planes depth-wise) for hitting something a bit further off if ever need be, say 100 yards or so (200 max).

Anything farther than that I use my scoped .270 Winchester. ;-)

-- c

Last edited by cloudcroft; May 21, 2016 at 06:02 PM.