The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 17, 2019, 03:09 PM   #1
fisherman

Just bought a new Taurus Spectrum

Just bought a new Spectrum 380ACP with the two magazines and I got it in White frame, laguna blue grips, and stainless slide. Love the color mix and love all the Taurus pistols I have so far. Won't have it until April when I get home to go to my FFL dealer but I will definitely do my own little assessment of it and will keep you all posted on he results.
Old January 18, 2019, 09:24 PM   #2
Auto5

Why?

Just kidding
Old January 18, 2019, 09:39 PM   #3
hornetguy

I'm curious how well they perform... I've been very pleased with my TCP. If the Spectrum is as reliable, it will likely be a better pistol, because of the rounded edges, making it more "pocket" worthy.
Old January 18, 2019, 11:03 PM   #4
osbornk

I would love to have one but I can come up no logical or illogical reason to get one. I have a Taurus TCP, a Taurus PT111-G2 and a Taurus 605 357 magnum revolver that covers that segment beautifully.
Old January 18, 2019, 11:18 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

A Spectrum is certainly high on my "just because" to buy list. Pocket carry is already well covered with a 1st generation LCP, and a Kahr CM9. Even a Kel-Tec P32, but it to was more on the afore mentioned just 'cause list.
I'm not a Technicolor gun guy. Not even a FDE guy. So it will probably be black on black, or if I feel real adventurous wanting to walk on the wild side, maybe silver on black.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 19, 2019, 12:19 PM   #6
fisherman

I like the colors and

That's kind of what I would do as far as the colors go except for a couple things. I bought the brightest thing I could. I hunt until the snow comes so if I drop it in the fall leaves before snow is on the ground it will be easy to see in the fall leaves. I bought white with aqua blue grips and a silver slide! Reason 2 is my daughter will get it when I depart this wonderful place and it truly is kind of a woman's gun. The 380 will make her a good purse or cc gun for her personal protection.
Old January 19, 2019, 12:33 PM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

I did a three-gun .380 shootout between the Spectrum, the Springfield 911, and the Smith EZ Shield.
The Spectrum, with the worst sights & trigger of the bunch, was markedly more accurate off the bench.

Zero malfunctions.
If I had not already had the pocket pistol needs covered, I would have bought the Spectrum.

Not built for regular weekend use, but it's a superior pocket pistol for carry & close-in defense if needed.
Denis
Old January 19, 2019, 02:39 PM   #8
gbclarkson

Quote:
Why?
Because the Curve has been discontinued.
Old January 19, 2019, 04:37 PM   #9
fisherman

I hope you are wrong

I hope the curve is not discontinued. If I had know it was coming I would have bought one quick!!
Old January 19, 2019, 04:40 PM   #10
glove

Nice choice you will like it.
anyway.
Old January 27, 2019, 07:52 PM   #11
kenny53

Look forward to the range report. With what I have experience with Taurus I am sure that you will be pleased.
Old January 28, 2019, 05:17 PM   #12
Bart Noir

I guess that curving magazine was too pricey to manufacture

Bart Noir
Old January 28, 2019, 07:45 PM   #13
Carl the Floor Walker

Congrats, I am thinking of getting one for my collection. I know it will not be the quality of the Beretta Pico, but I think it is a better choice than the LCP's etc. For one, they copied the take down from the Pico. And with the ability to change grips, would be a asset as I had so many crack, rails split etc. I did handle on in the store and it felt good in my hand. As far as trigger, I is what I perfer in a pocket gun. And what I have trained with for a decade. Nice double action.

Ps, I knew the same old internet bashers would apprear. Many running their traps about the curve and never ever owned on or shot one. Just discount that garbage. The Spectrum is getting a lot of good reviews. I really believe it will be a winner in the class that it competes.

Get a crack like these and simply get a new inexpensive grip.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; January 28, 2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old January 31, 2019, 08:21 PM   #14
Prof Young

Long trigger pull and reset . . .

I handled a Spectrum at the range today and with owner's permission dry fired it. It has a loooong trigger pull loooooong trigger reset. For a gun without a safety, that can be a good thing, but . . .

Talk to me.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old February 1, 2019, 06:55 AM   #15
OhioGuy

I was looking at these just the other day -- local range had the black one for $200 and more colorful options for $220. Felt good in the hand, but the trigger pull was possibly the grittiest/crunchiest dry fire experience I'd ever had. Was wondering if someone filled the frame with sand....

But it's also not a target pistol and for less than half the cost of a Glock 42 I'd be willing to live with it, esp. as a backup carry that I'm sure I wouldn't fire often.

I'll be interested to hear your report on how accurate it is. I'll guess it's meant for rapid self-defense at very short distances like any other pocket pistol. The sights reminded me of Braille dots more than actual sights
Old February 1, 2019, 12:19 PM   #16
DPris
Member Emeritus

As mentioned, when I did a three-gun shoot-out with the Spectrum, the S&W Shield EZ, and the Springfield 911, the Spectrum was by far the most accurate, despite the worst trigger & worst sights.

It's not built for IPSC or a lotta rounds every week at the range, but it's a good pocket pistol for close-in defense.
Denis
Old February 1, 2019, 01:31 PM   #17
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
As mentioned, when I did a three-gun shoot-out with the Spectrum, the S&W Shield EZ, and the Springfield 911, the Spectrum was by far the most accurate, despite the worst trigger & worst sights.

It's not built for IPSC or a lotta rounds every week at the range, but it's a good pocket pistol for close-in defense.
Denis
That's an interesting result -- what distances, and how did you define "accurate?"

I've not shot the 911, but it's far more solidly built, the sights are actually very nice, and the trigger is almost 1911 level of good. I've used squirt guns with better triggers than the Spectrum's.
Old February 1, 2019, 02:03 PM   #18
DPris
Member Emeritus

June 12, 2018.
Seated rest, 10 yards, five different .380 loads.

I defined accurate by noting the best 5-shot groups with each load through all three pistols.

The Spectrum easily beat the other two.

Best group through it was 5 shots in 11/16 of an inch with Remington Golden Sabers.
Worst best was Winchester Kinetic at 2 1/8 inches.

The Springfield was the most solidly built, but too tightly fit, several malfunctions.
Smith & Spectrum zero malfunctions.

The thing about the Spectrum is that you HAVE to understand it.

A lightweight carry, no-snag draw, smooth ergonomics, fast-reaction, close-in defensive pistol.

Not built for regular shooting, not a target pistol, not a recreational pistol.
The trigger is long & heavy to allow safe carry, round chambered, no manual safety.
The tiny sights are largely ignorable in a very close-threat context.
Point & pull.
Can be used if threat's farther out & time allows.

The trigger pull is not the sole determiner of value in the right context & overall picture.

My results have been published twice, and written up as they were found during testing.
Denis
Old February 1, 2019, 02:19 PM   #19
OhioGuy

Awesome, thanks for sharing! Agree it's the total package that counts most, and if for $200 you can get an accurate gun that's easy to carry and shoot, reliable and effective at the close ranges for which it was designed, then spending 2x-3x more on a "better" gun loses its appeal.

I've been thinking about getting a .380 for very occasional, deep concealment needs. I'd probably shoot it once a month to make sure I'm still hitting with it. No target practice or IDPA matches Maybe I'll get one.
Old February 1, 2019, 02:28 PM   #20
DPris
Member Emeritus

If I had not already been using a pair of Smith .380 Bodyguards as occasional deep carry pistols, I would have kept the Spectrum after testing the three.
Its role was already filled here, but it was still tempting & I almost did keep it.
Denis
Old February 1, 2019, 04:31 PM   #21
kmw1954

Denis, thanks for the review and feedback. I am a Taurus supporter and own a PT92C which follows me everywhere. Also have a brother that owns 3 different Taurus and I've shot them all to differing degrees of satisfaction.

I do also own two different 380's and doubt I will be adding another. Though I would like to own a Beretta 380.
Old February 1, 2019, 06:49 PM   #22
DPris
Member Emeritus

The Berettas are nice, but a trifle on the large size.
Just for fun, no problem.
Denis
Old February 1, 2019, 08:03 PM   #23
kmw1954

Just not a pocket pistol kind of guy myself.
Old February 1, 2019, 10:42 PM   #24
kymasabe

Good luck with it. My daughter had such horrible luck with her TCP (didn't survive first range visit, then 16 week wait for repair) that we're all reluctant to buy another Taurus. Ever. I hope you have better luck with yours.
Old February 2, 2019, 05:23 AM   #25
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
The Berettas are nice, but a trifle on the large size.
Just for fun, no problem.
Denis
Not sure what Beretta you are referring to, can't be the Beretta Pico. Love shooting this gun, and for myself, it is a fun gun. Pocket guns are my niche in shooting. Love the challenge they provide. I shoot often, and I would say 90% of my shooting is with a Snubbie or Pocket gun.
I will also say they are much more capable than most folks realize given frequent practice. I know many will disagree, but I find them excellent EDC guns. And for sure, easy to carry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=TR7H3lbNTBw