The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 6, 2015, 09:49 PM   #26
walks with gun

I'm amazed that any of us over 50 are still left alive, it seems that without a hi-cap auto were as good as dead. I just can't figure out how I lived carrying a revolver all those years. Many years ago I shattered my left forearm and it wouldn't heal right, still doesn't work well sometimes. Anyhow I carried a Ruger security six then and shot a lot one handed, I could hit the cylinder release, stick my middle finger through the now open frame and press the ejector with my thumb, I'd stuff the barrel into my waistband behind my belt buckle and load with speed loaders or loose rounds from my jacket or vest, snap the cylinder shut and be back in action. Everyone ought to keep a good wheelgun around, there not obsolete yet.
Old August 6, 2015, 10:12 PM   #27
rmocarsky

OP here,

I guess I should have explained that my "lock box" is a pistol vault with a push button combination.

And it is bolted to the inside of my wardrobe at the foot of the bed.

I have always had a dog (currently a Brit) that I rely on for my early warning system.

And there are people that frequent my house and the "lock box" assures me that no one but me can access the contents.

That beats the stuffing out of leaving it in the safe in the club basement.

Rmocarsky
Old August 9, 2015, 12:03 PM   #28
Tikka_shooter

Children are grown so I keep loaded firearms around the house. When company with kids come; loaded firearms go in bedroom with the Pitts. The Pitts are friendly and love to play, but can be too rough when kids rev them up.

Same as most people of my generation, the kids grew up with a sliding glass door gun cabinet with ammunition in the drawer or a gun rack.
I grew up with reloading in the basement with ammo cans of surplus 30 Cal. No problems ever; however, kids today are different or maybe parents are different; beats me.

Old August 14, 2015, 04:39 PM   #29
poboyspecial

I absolutely believe in an old wheel gun. The old cowboy style action revolvers are very fun to shoot. I even enjoy the old cap-n-ball revolvers. A friend of mine hunts wild hogs with his old Navy cap-n-ball revolver. He loves it and does very well with it. Revolvers will never die.....
Old August 15, 2015, 08:23 AM   #30
m&p45acp10+1

One of the guys I work with has no left hand at all. I have seen him rack the slide on every semi that he has held at the range. I think it is a mind set thing. Though he does shoot revolvers a lot. He does so due to the fact that he shoots them better. The guy is a top hand at bulls eye shooting with small bore.
Old August 16, 2015, 07:41 AM   #31
kraigwy

Anyone who's read many of my post knows I'm a huge revolver fan. I constantly state REAL COPS CARRY REVOLVERS.

Without a doubt my favorite handgun, I can shoot them better then I can semis.

Having said that, I'm also a firearms instructor, been so for nearly 40 years. People want to shoot semis so I instruct in semi use.

A loan officer at my bank is a gun nut. He only has one arm. He loves semis but thought he could only use a revolver.

I question that. I've been taught by Gary Anderson, an Olympic Gold medal winner and has set records in the 60s that have never been broken. He knows shooting but more so he knows coaching. One thing he pounded into us is THERE ARE NO HOPELSS SHOOTERS.

There are few handicaps that cant be overcome.

So I take my banker to the range. I demonstrate loading a semi with one hand. I start out with a pistol in my belt. Slide closed. I insert an empty magazine in the pistol, then take the pistol and holding the top (sights) against my pants leg I vigorously push it down my pant leg. The sites drag on the pants causing he slide to lock open on the empty magazine.

I then eject the mag, put the pistol in my belt, insert a loaded mag and drop the slide to chamber a round.

It took my one arm banker just a few seconds to be able to load his semi pistol.

It worked. And with todays multi round magazines there would be little need to change mags in a self defense situation but remember, the last round leaves the slide back so its easy to load a fresh mag with one hand. Drop the mag, tuck it in your belt, insert a fresh mag and get after it.

Careful teaching this method to women. The sights on the pistol will tear up nylons.

Always remember THERE ARE NO HOPELESS SHOOTERS.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 16, 2015, 10:34 AM   #32
walks with gun

It seems like a hundred years ago, Dad taught me, in a emergency you could chamber a round in the 1911's by placing your thumb behind the grip safety and fingers curled over the slide and squeeze. Not a good explanation but it works, he used to practice different ways of using auto's with one hand. When I shattered my arm, I switched to wheelguns and still like them, although I carry a Commander more than anything else.
Old August 23, 2015, 05:19 PM   #33
excaliber551

revolvers are excellent for carry while out hunting and many think they are more reliable when it counts.
Old August 23, 2015, 08:13 PM   #34
SARuger

OP, Im a revolver fan as well, love them!

But I have to ask, have you tried holding the 1911 in your left and racking with your right then switching hands?
Old August 23, 2015, 10:38 PM   #35
walks with gun

SARuger, just tried it, awkward as all heck, I've been racking the slide with my left hand for a good 35 years, and am a slow learner. I can't see the point in it anyway. I should practice loading and shooting with one hand more though.
Old August 23, 2015, 11:35 PM   #36
kraigwy

Quote:
OP here,

I guess I should have explained that my "lock box" is a pistol vault with a push button combination.

And it is bolted to the inside of my wardrobe at the foot of the bed.

I have always had a dog (currently a Brit) that I rely on for my early warning system.

And there are people that frequent my house and the "lock box" assures me that no one but me can access the contents.

That beats the stuffing out of leaving it in the safe in the club basement.
A gun in a pocket beats a gun in a lock box.

All my guns but one are locked in the gun safe. The other is in my pocket. My kids are gone, but grandkids are around a lot, they bring friends to ride grandpa's 4 wheeler and horses.

I don't know these kids. I don't know what they will do if they found a gun. One of my greatest fear is some kid getting hurt with one of my guns.

I do know they cant get into my safe, nor can they get in my pocket.

in Home invasions it takes about 3 seconds to kick in a door. I'm old, it will take me a lot longer then that to get off the couch and head to the lock box in the bedroom (or where ever).

I takes less then a second to get my revolver out of my pocket.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 24, 2015, 01:08 PM   #37
BlueTrain

If you want to learn how to cycle an automatic with little strength in your hands and wrists, find a six-year old boy and ask him to show you how.
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 26, 2015, 04:14 PM   #38
Mannlicher

I always get a chuckle out of folks that carry a 1911 with an empty chamber. I wonder if they carry their revolvers unloaded as well.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 27, 2015, 05:46 AM   #39
BlueTrain

I never laugh at whatever someone else wants to do. It's their prerogative. I do get a chuckle when I read about someone having an accident with a pistol, usually a Glock. It may be true that safeties are dangerous things but sometimes I wonder.

However, my copy of a 1916 US Army NCO manual says to leave the chamber empty under the hammer of a revolver. But it also says to carry a .45 automatic with a loaded chamber, hammer down.

I assume all of you who prefer to keep your automatic pistols with a chambered round also keep your home defense shotgun the same way, because as we are constantly reminded, there won't be enough time to chamber a round. Etc., etc., etc.

These are reason why, though I may share some of my opinions, I don't really recommend anything.
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 27, 2015, 06:26 AM   #40
45_auto

Quote:
I do get a chuckle when I read about someone having an accident with a pistol, usually a Glock.
I personally get a chuckle when I hear about someone having an accident with a rifle or shotgun. The vast majority of them have safeties, and I mean come on, there isn't a rifle or shotgun made with a trigger that's anywhere near a Glock trigger that DOESN"T have a safety! Yet people still manage to accidentally pull the trigger!
Old August 27, 2015, 06:46 AM   #41
hartcreek

There are several videos online that show how to properly grip the slide braced against ones body when you have a weak hand. U tuber Fate of Destiny is one of the posters but their are others.
Old August 27, 2015, 06:52 AM   #42
BlueTrain

Well, I don't really laugh when someone shoots themselves. It really isn't a laughing matter. But have you looked at the manuals that come with handguns lately?

They are so full of warnings in red printing that it can be a little difficult to find the information you're looking for. Sometimes European editions are a little more straight forward, even though they may be in six languages. Anyway, you quickly get the idea that the thing in question is really too dangerous to handle. I guess they're supposed to be dangerous, though.

Sometimes the instructions leave you scratching your head with what they said. First it says to always use the safety, then on the next page it says not to trust mechanical safeties. And they don't even mention some of the things that are frequently discussed here, possibly because they aren't set in stone.

The first new gun I ever bought came with a little three page leaflet, as I recall (for a Browning Hi-Power), one panel of which was taken up with an advertisement for Browning pistols. The pistol didn't even come with a box but rather a zippered pouch. I don't recall that the next new gun I bought came with anything at all. It was an H&R .45-70 reproduction Springfield carbine and I bought it from the same shop in Morgantown, West Virginia. Other than those two guns, I don't remember seeing another gun in the shop, even though they had cases full of them. I knew what I wanted. I still do, only now I want a lot more.
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 27, 2015, 08:37 AM   #43
Deja vu

I wish the revolvers of today where around when I was in the police. I would of loved my 627 8 shot 357 magnum back then! Its not that much bigger than a 6-7 shot full sized revolver.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old August 31, 2015, 08:33 AM   #44
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmocarsky
On May 23 I broke my left elbow and had a plate put in.

There is no way in this world I can cycle the action on the 1911.
I hope your visit to the doc went well.

For 1911s, there is a bushing that sticks out past the barrel for an inch or so. It allows one to rack the slide by driving the muzzle into any hard object.
Old August 31, 2015, 09:55 PM   #45
rmocarsky

OP here.

I am good to go and all I need to do now is re-acquire full strength in my left arm.

As of now, racking the slide is hit and miss; however if I cock the hammer first I have no problem.

But I have an even deeper appreciation for the noble S&W Model 66.

It is a flawless classic.

Rmocarsky

Last edited by rmocarsky; August 31, 2015 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling