The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 5, 2002, 06:46 PM   #1
LF&Co. MG

Billyclub gun?

A coworker of mine has some old oddballs including what she refers to as "a stagecoach gun" (a double shotty), an old Luger, and a "billyclub shotgun". I have yet to see these weapons, but others have and say the pieces are old and the real mcCoys. What exactly does she have here? I would imagine it is/was supposed to be registered as an "any other weapon" or some other provision of the 1934 act.
Old December 6, 2002, 12:58 AM   #2
Dfariswheel

The only "billy club" or "night stick" guns I've seen, are shotgun or rifled guns that are concealed inside of a club-like outer shell.
These also were made for use in prisons and for police with a tear gas cartridge built in.

Basically, these were for police and night watchmen so you could have a billy or night stick, and also be discreetly armed with a gun.
Old December 6, 2002, 03:27 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

"billy Club" tear gas gun - - -

I've seen these in both 12 aand 20 gauge--really pretty nice looking--Aluminum handle, cocking plunger on end, surrounded by a ring to which a leather wrist strap was attached. Trigger s button on side, protected by a sliding safety/guard. The muzzle intentionally constricted so that firing a regular shot loaded shl would probably destroy the item, not to mention, HURT A LOT.

In spite of all this, this an "Any Other Weapon," and registration is required under Nationa irearms Acvt of 1934, because it will accept and fire fixed shotgun ammunition from too-short a smooth bore. (Hey, I don't agree with the law--just a cautionary note so that no one gets in trouble by mistake. )

Best,
Johnny