The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2018, 08:38 PM   #1
Bucksnort1

.357 Bullet Question

I have some 110 grain, Winchester, JHP bullets with cupped bases. What are my concerns? May I load as if they are 110 grain JHP with flat bases? I know it will increase my case volume.
Old April 26, 2018, 09:08 PM   #2
Hammerhead

Cupped/hollow bases don't change the volume in the case, just the shape of the space.
Old April 26, 2018, 09:50 PM   #3
mehavey

Yes.
Load as though they were any JHP Flat Base
Old April 27, 2018, 07:29 AM   #4
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Cupped/hollow bases don't change the volume in the case, just the shape of the space.
While the base shape does not change case volume, it does, ever so slightly change case capacity. Just as changing seating depth. Will it matter as to loading per load recipes for a specific flat base? Probably no more than using any other bullet than is used in developing the specific load recipe. More of a concern to me would be the use of slow burning powders with such a light for caliber bullet and the resulting forcing cone and top strap erosion prone to such. Was kinda the scourge for old S&W K-Frames.
Old April 27, 2018, 10:23 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Buck460XVR,

Unless you change the weight or density of the bullet, it occupies the same total volume. Anything you displace from the hollow cup moves over to add length to the sides. The amount deeper you have to seat this longer-sided bullet to get that same COL then has the longer sides take up exactly as much powder volume as the hollow added, resulting in no net change. This is why same-weight hollow and bevel base swaged wadcutters seated flush with the mouth of the same case use the exact same loads.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 27, 2018, 11:49 AM   #6
mikld

For a new reloader, I like to answer simply, as in K.I.S.S. Personally I don't think the cupped base will make any difference in safety or function/pressures of your handloads. If the "situation" bothers you, look up the Winchester load data and the cartridge OAL for that particular bullet. (For over 40 years I have loaded various 38 Special bullets, quite safely, by seating the bullet to the crimp groove or cannalure, not worrying about case capacity/powder volume or OAL, just using book powder charges).
Old April 27, 2018, 01:04 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...load as if..." Yep. The only thing that matters is the bullet weight. Jacketed is jacketed.
Old April 27, 2018, 01:19 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

I'm with mikld on this one - I could have practically written his post. You may load to just about any 110gn jacketed bullet data - as long as it's not for some unconventional shape like a wadcutter or something.

Also, 110 grain is light for caliber. The lighter weight also grants more margin for error than its heavier counterparts.
Old April 28, 2018, 11:34 AM   #9
mikld

Thanks Nick. Sometimes I say something right...
Old April 28, 2018, 12:58 PM   #10
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Sometimes I say something right.
Yep. Indeed you do.

Sometimes j/k

Your posts always come from a place of knowledge, honesty, and respect; and that is always welcomed and appreciated.

-Nick.