The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 25, 2018, 04:39 PM   #51
kmw1954

Wendyj if you are interested in loading rifle with that powder measure then Lee makes a Double Disk Kit, https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...ouble-disk-kit that works very well.

For loading pistol powders I took my Disk Measure and did my own chart with the powders I use as the Lee Chart was off by about .3gr on most.
Old April 25, 2018, 05:03 PM   #52
Wendyj

Thanks for that link. Looks like four more disks and longer screws. My chart was off a good bit on unique but most said it wouldn't throw consistent. Mine ran almost perfect after I got the right size hole. I'll get this ordered so I can at least throw 25 grains of benchmark powder. No chart for it so I'll play with disks until it comes close.
Old April 25, 2018, 08:37 PM   #53
TailGator

Your experience with the disk parallels mine. I think they make those charts conservative on purpose to give people a safety margin. You did what I did - used the chart as a starting place and figured out what you really needed.

And you found out about the disk doubling kit. And you are right that setup is not hard - just take your time and follow the directions. With your good sense, you'll be up and running pretty quickly.
Old April 26, 2018, 09:51 AM   #54
Metal god

Wendyj , Sorry I should have been more clear about the Pro disc and the ADDED charging bar which is fully adjustable https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision...lee+charge+bar

When I started loading pistol I had already been loading rifle for quite some time . This means I loaded pistol like I was loading rifle . Weighed each charge , used a single stage press etc . This resulted in me already having loads worked up before I bought the LCT press and pro auto disc . The discs NEVER gave me the charge I needed based on my established loads . This was unacceptable to me , I was not about to rework all my pistol loads . Thank goodness I was told about the charging bar . This allows you to adjust the charge to pretty much anything you want in the handgun charging range .

Because of the above , I recommended the lee auto drum for your 223 loads https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/80...YaAmaaEALw_wcB Which is completely adjustable from 4gr to 35+gr depending an the insert used ( included )

So I strongly recommend against going to the double disc method . You're not likely going to get your established charges and it will likely leak even more . Instead I recommend you buy the Lee auto drum . I'll admit it was a little finicky at first but a little graphite lube and it's worked quite well since .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 26, 2018, 10:02 AM   #55
Real Gun

I like the Autodrum, but it requires extra expense in buying more drums, rather than reuse what you have and lose the charge setting, in which you may have invested significant time. Some of my loads work fine with my existing supply of autodisks, including double disk. There is no discernible difference in my handgun shooting with variances of a tenth grain or so +-. The issue is always whether the powder is too fine or too coarse to measure without significant variances, clogs, or disk jams. That problem presents a challenge to most powder measures.
Old April 26, 2018, 04:50 PM   #56
Wendyj

I got the press in today. Used some wood clamps to hold onto the bench to assemble arm and auto prime bracket. Not sure whether to use washer or not. Cleaned and lubed moving parts with small amounts of ballistol. Press feels gritty and not real smooth but may take some using. The drum turned to correct spot every time. I did not get any extra plastic pieces everyone says comes with it. Inline Fabrication mounting plate will be here tomorrow so Saturday I am going to crank out some 45 colt. Hope all goes well. Metal, I ordered the double disk this morning. I can get the auto drum ordered if I have issues.
Old April 27, 2018, 12:00 AM   #57
Metal god

Yeah , mine was a little gritty/rough when new but smoothed out pretty quick . My buddies was a little rougher then mine so it appears they all come a little rough around the edges .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 27, 2018, 06:47 AM   #58
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyj View Post
I did not get any extra plastic pieces everyone says comes with it.
This is the piece you might want to get to have around:

Part TF3567 for products: 90064 CLASSIC TURRET PRESS and 90932 4 HOLE TP WI AUTO INDEX.

Unless you are buying something else from Lee, you should purchase a pack of these from another re-seller to save the shipping costs.
Old April 27, 2018, 09:11 AM   #59
GTOne

When they sent my press that little plastic square was taped inside the box for a spare, I almost missed it, it is tiny.

I am still on the original 7 years later. You have to force the turret to turn by hand while it is in the wrong place on the rod, I guess.
It must be harder to do than I thought it would be because I remember buying a few spares(50 cents each) because people were saying get them.
I guess I'll have them if I ever need.
Old April 27, 2018, 09:31 AM   #60
Wendyj

I just ordered 4. Stupid on my part. $0.50 each. $5.40 shipping. I don't want it down though. Lee emailed me back when I asked where it was and they advised they don't send extras anymore. Ordered 4 turrets and a long charging die from Amazon. Now for one more powder measure.
Old April 27, 2018, 09:55 AM   #61
kmw1954

It never ends, I'm tellin ya!

I just picked up another Auto Disk measure on ebay that I found for a good BIN price.

Also have an order to Titan Reloading for small parts that I'm putting together.
Old April 27, 2018, 04:09 PM   #62
Chainsaw.

http://dillonprecision.net/break-even-calculator/

I showed this in other thread about buying a progressive. It gives an idea of how the new progressive will pay for its self.

The lee progressives are ok but require more attention to keep running smooth. The Dillions are not perfect but they go alot longer between tunes ups. Once I calculated it out the dillion only made sense. I make alot of ammoso that was also a factor for me.

Any way you go a progressive is great to haveonce you have worked past the "Joy" of loading rounds one at a time, four pulls per round.
Old April 27, 2018, 05:08 PM   #63
Wendyj

I might try that route once I feel safer with this one. I loaded around 70 grains of 45 colt in about an hour and that was stopping to weigh every charge but 10. First 40 were on borderline so I didn't want an overcharge. Primer took some getting used to as it was in my way. I put a washer on the back side of it to have it flip up out of my way after I remembered someone doing it on you tube. I think I can get an easy 150 per hour once I trust the powder charger more. I've ordered another charger but this one with Unique is only varying by at most .2 grain so I am in the safe mode. I am sure it will throw some other powders better.
Not much of a picture but it is set up and I filled a few loading blocks with what I needed for the day. Waiting for double disk set to load 223. Should be here tomorrow. The Benchmark powder should throw consistent I hope. Was way faster than my single stage press anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lee turret 45 colt.jpg (43.4 KB, 28 views)
Old April 27, 2018, 05:37 PM   #64
kmw1954

Bench looks very comfortable. You will also become more comfortable with the powder measure and just what consistency it will hold with time. For the powders I use I have found at least 2 charges that will work for each caliber I shoot. They may not be the optimum but they are within .2gr high or low of my target load weight. And from my testing when I did the load workups I have to say I could not tell a difference of .2gr of powder when all else was the same. Couldn't see a change in POI, grouping size or perceived recoil in normal target loads at target distances.
Old April 27, 2018, 06:11 PM   #65
Wendyj

The Unique metered better yesterday when I just had it on my single stage press. Done ok on progressive until I installed the riser. Probably more user error than the measure. It's still within 1-2 tenths of a grain which no harm on a 45 colt. I'm waiting on more turrets to set the 9 mm up. Powder minimum and maximum not a lot of spread so I will have to be more careful. I read flake powders are an issue in this measure. I use hp38 and Titegroup in the 9mm.
Old April 27, 2018, 06:17 PM   #66
GTOne

Looking very good, nice mount there.

I had no trouble sneaking right up on a good load with the double disk set for .223, plenty of increments, I found.
I use the adjustable gizmo for pistol.
Old April 27, 2018, 07:08 PM   #67
mikejonestkd

Quote:
I read flake powders are an issue in this measure. I use hp38 and Titegroup in the 9mm.
I use a ton of 231 in 9mm, and it meters nicely though the Lee power measure. Enjoy the press, I love mine!
Old April 27, 2018, 07:27 PM   #68
Wendyj

My double disk kit will be here tomorrow afternoon. I should have ordered more turrets from the start but wasn't sure how it was going to work out. Been using the Lyman case prep center and getting crimps out of 223 primer pockets and prepping about 400 pieces all same head stamp. I've got another 500 mixed head stamp. My eyes aren't good enough to read any but the lake city. I wasn't so fond of my Lee reloading manual but it gives charges and disk numbers for every load. It was well worth it's money now. I found 300 Berry bullets and 100 ftx in 9 mm. I hadn't loaded last year. I've got a 1000 rounds of 9 mm and 380 brass. Haven't loaded for 380 yet.
Old April 27, 2018, 08:08 PM   #69
kmw1954

With the HP-38 I've been using disk cavity 40 and 43 which on mine is dropping 4.1 and 4.4gr... The #37 is below the starting point of about 3.7gr...
Old April 27, 2018, 08:24 PM   #70
Wendyj

The chart is off on the low side I've found out but seems easy enough to find one close. I hope the charge bar will fine tune it. Reviews I've read are about 50-50 negative and positive.
Old April 28, 2018, 06:20 AM   #71
GTOne

The adjustable charge bar is excellent. I love that for pistol. I seem to recall some flap about very small throws people were having using it for .380 and some powders though. I managed to find a micro disc set for that from someone selling repops on ebay since Lee broke the mold for it.
Old April 28, 2018, 09:38 AM   #72
lordmorgul

Lee turret or progressive press

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyj View Post
Thanks for that link. Looks like four more disks and longer screws. My chart was off a good bit on unique but most said it wouldn't throw consistent. Mine ran almost perfect after I got the right size hole. I'll get this ordered so I can at least throw 25 grains of benchmark powder. No chart for it so I'll play with disks until it comes close.

Be aware that the powder throw with the Auto Disk varies across the volume of powder above in the tank! Take care to keep it always *at least* half full while using, choose your disk with it completely filled tank.

This is significantly worse for pistol powders with smaller extrusions even though the metering gets more accurate that way it gets more sensitive to pressure too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, SAF / CRPA / FPC member and supporter, USCCA Member

Last edited by lordmorgul; April 30, 2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old April 28, 2018, 10:10 AM   #73
Real Gun

The adjustable charge bar, hereafter referred to as the ACB, takes on a very irregular shape, when set for very low charge volumes. When using more coarse powders, the disks do better with their round apertures, although you may have to compromise in the charge weight achieved by maybe a tenth of a grain. I just switched from ACB to disk using a small cowboy load of Trailboss with its relatively big, disk-shaped flakes. I was getting rounds with very low charges, I presume because the ACB was clogged. The ACB opening looked like the shape of my mouth, set for 3.0 grains. With the disk, I had to settle for 3.1, well within the cowboy velocity rating range.
Old April 28, 2018, 11:08 AM   #74
kmw1954

Just looked for a video at used to be on youtube for a modification to the Lee Disks used in the Auto Disk measure but unfortunately was unable to locate it.

Basic gist of it is to drill and tap the front of the disk to accept a setscrew. This way the setscrew can be adjusted into the cavity reducing it's size and volume. The bigger the diameter the setscrew used the more adjustment there is.
Old April 28, 2018, 01:01 PM   #75
willr

Lee turret is great -- speeds things greatly. But I have ceased using it as a turret. My problem is that I have had too many squib loads -- no or much too small powder charge. I think the same problem would happen with a progressive outfit. If someone could suggest a foolproof way of solving that problem, I would be appreciative.
willr