The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 22, 2018, 10:08 AM   #26
pete2

The newer S&W guns can be tuned, sometimes all you need is new springs from Wolff. If you do go with a lighter mainspring make sure it hits hard enough to fire every time. Wolff sells full power springs that seem lighter and smoother than the factory springs. I have 2 late 642 revolvers. One had a good pull from the factory, I had to put a reduced power spring in the other gun to get the pull down like gun #1. Who knows why other than lack of quality we see from the gun mfgs now days. It ain't just S&W. Some other mfgs have problems of their own.
Old April 22, 2018, 06:15 PM   #27
rodfac

Doc, I've owned over a dozen Smith's over the years with great accuracy and superb triggers...that said...a cpl of years ago, my wife's M36 (bought new in '92) had a cylinder stop that had worn...Smith fixed it on their nickle including shipping and we had the gun back in 2 weeks. Another M637, a new gun, that would not advance to the 5th shot for some reason, got the same treatment and I had it back in 2 weeks again. Both came back in superb shape with a trigger job as a part of the no-cost fix.

I don't know what the delay is but...in the meantime, I'd shorten the grip screw with a fine cut file and be done with it. I'll also say that my M69, bought new two years ago, had a noticeably heavier DA pull than what I've come to expect from Smith. I'd like it lighter, but it's a .44 and I usually don't use it for DA defensive type shooting so have not persued a better trigger. It's SA trigger is every bit as good as my late 60's and 70's guns...in a word, fantastic.

All in all, their CS for me, over 50 years and better than a dozen guns, has been great. Hope you get it worked out. PM me if you have questions on shortening that grip screw.

Best Regards, Rod aka Dave
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 22, 2018, 07:06 PM   #28
Model12Win

You can bed the grips with Acra glass. Shouldn't be too hard of a job. Also get some snaps caps and I'm sure the action will smooth out. I agree 4 months is pretty wacky and doesn't sound like S&W SOP to me.
Old April 23, 2018, 06:35 PM   #29
Doc Holliday 1950

Guess I'm just plain mad & I sent it today back to S&W. If it comes back & it's like S&W 's rep says it should be, then I'll be satisfied. If not, I'll sell it & move on.

Doc
Old May 19, 2018, 03:32 PM   #30
Doc Holliday 1950

In April 2018 I wrote that S&W's customer service got "'To Big For Their Britches"
Last,it could take up to 4 months before I would get it back.

My grips were loose & no amount of tightening would work plus their vaunted
DA action stunk. My Rugers have better DA's than the Smiths & it looks like I need to go to a gun smith to get the DA where I want it.

I sent my 686 plus back to S&W on April 28th.& to my surprise it arrived back yesterday. Their written report on the work done was as follows;

1- They replaced the Extractor.
2- They replaced the Grips.
3-They replaced my hammer.
4- Last they wrote that they repaired hand. What's the last 2 mean??

Plus their code on a sheet of paper had the following numerical codes.
Can someone please explain what these two sections mean?? I'm a novice about the inner workings of any firearm. Number 3 & 4 i'm stumpted & the 4 numbers the same.

I forgot, the DA still stinks & no amount of snap caps or shooting it is going to do it. over, the grips are in great shape. Tight & comfortable.

Thanks Doc

Doc

Last edited by Doc Holliday 1950; May 19, 2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old May 19, 2018, 03:49 PM   #31
FITASC

The hammer hits the firing pin; the hand rotates the cylinder
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa