The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 21, 2001, 11:02 AM   #1
straightShot

Greetings:

1. For service rifle type shooting, what sort of power and brand is a decent spotting scope for the $100 - $300 price range?

2. What sort of magnification is most widely used?

2. What sort of adjustable, perhaps stainless steel, stand(prone to standing) is recommended?

Thoughts on magnifications, straight view vs. angled, brand name, merchant, cost, and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

straightShot
Old May 21, 2001, 04:08 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Check out Champion's Choice in Nashville, TN. They are a match shooting supply house. They have the most suitable spotting scopes, and purpose-built target shooter's scope stands.
Old May 22, 2001, 12:07 AM   #3
vitiaz

Check out Jim Owens site at,

http://www.jarheadtop.com

He has great deals on Kowa scopes. Usually you'll use a 20-25x power scope. For $300 you should be able to find a Bushnell or a similar 60mm scope. The larger aperature 70-82mm scopes are pretty pricey(but are really worth it for reading mirage).
Check out used equipment too. I'd definitely go with a 45 deg. eyepiece.

He carries most of the popular scope stands too(Freeland & Ewing plus their clones)

He has a lot of good stuff plus links to other places like Creedmoor Sports, OK Weber and Champions Choice(I don't think their web site is up but he has their phone # listed).
Old May 22, 2001, 10:42 AM   #4
straightShot

Thanks, I'll check out Jim Owens' site and the Champion site. I'll have to figure out which lens size and magnification to get, too.

straightShot
Old May 25, 2001, 09:11 AM   #5
700PSS Shooter

Try used.

I bought a used Kowa 77 TSN-2 (angled eyepiece) for about $300 with the variable eyepiece. I justified it as a birdwatching/shooting scope.

Check at local shooting/birding clubs used posting boards. They are usually in very good shape.