The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2016, 06:40 PM   #1
DeuceTrinal

Help identifying a powder charge bar

I picked up a used MEC 600 jr and this bar came along with it. It doesn't belong to this press, so I'm trying to figure out what it is for so I can get it to someone who can use it.

It came sealed in a bag marked "Large Powder Bar". It measures .83" x .715" x 4.6", not including the protruding stud or bolt head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160127_152710.jpg (46.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160127_152635.jpg (39.4 KB, 37 views)
Old January 27, 2016, 06:53 PM   #2
condor bravo

No it's not for a MEC 600 for sure. My guess is that it is for a Dillon progressive, possibly the 550 or maybe the 650 (but they might be the same), I have never seen a 650 bar. Large Powder Bar indicates it is intended to be used for rifle charges rather than a smaller bar for handgun. So the previous owner is doing you a favor; all you need to do now is to get a 550 or 650 to go along with it. And then perhaps another handgun or two to make better use of the progressive. The protruding hex head bolt is for the powder charge adjustment.

Last edited by condor bravo; January 27, 2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old January 27, 2016, 07:12 PM   #3
dallasb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceTrinal View Post
I picked up a used MEC 600 jr and this bar came along with it. It doesn't belong to this press, so I'm trying to figure out what it is for so I can get it to someone who can use it.

It came sealed in a bag marked "Large Powder Bar". It measures .83" x .715" x 4.6", not including the protruding stud or bolt head.

It's for a Dillon. They all use the same powder measures.
Old January 27, 2016, 11:25 PM   #4
Sport45

I agree. It looks like a Dillon #20063 Large Powder Charge Bar.

You may want to see if the guy who sold the used MEC would like it back.
Old January 28, 2016, 11:35 AM   #5
DeuceTrinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor bravo
So the previous owner is doing you a favor; all you need to do now is to get a 550 or 650 to go along with it. And then perhaps another handgun or two to make better use of the progressive...
You know, I think you just may be right! Such a shame to have a tool I can't use, might as well get the rest of the bits to make it useful...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport45
I agree. It looks like a Dillon #20063 Large Powder Charge Bar.

You may want to see if the guy who sold the used MEC would like it back.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to find out. Unfortunately, the gentleman I bought it from was selling all his shooting gear because of failing eyesight. I think I got some of the last of it, so I doubt he wants this bar back. I'll probably just give it away on here if someone can use it.