The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 10, 2001, 03:38 PM   #1
Kathryn

I'm interested in getting a Bushmaster for IDPA matches. But there are so many types! My son and I will share it. We like the long hand hold for the "XM15 E2S Dissipator" for the left hand for that reason. The DCM Competition rifle was made for competition, though.

What do you all think?

TIA
Old February 10, 2001, 03:55 PM   #2
jfrancis

I guess you are talking about carbine side matches at IDPA shoots (since there is otherwise no rifle in IDPA). Your choice will depend on whether you want to put optics on the gun. Although you can mount scopes/dot sights on or in front of the carry handle, the flat top uppers are more versatile and keep the scope closer to the bore axis (less holdover at closer ranges).

I would either go for a 16" lightweight (if you want the carry handle) or the V-Match flat top 16". Mount a compact ACOG sight (my favorite is the 2x20 with triangle reticle) and you will have a great combat competition AR.
Old February 10, 2001, 08:29 PM   #3
9x45

Clearly you have never been to an IDPA match. That's International Defensive Pistol Association, meaning semi-auto pistols and revolvers for defensive use, not 3-gun USPSA, or Soldier of Fortune matches. This is some kind of joke post....
Old February 10, 2001, 09:59 PM   #4
Ned Roundtree

Could be a mistaken post. But some IDPA clubs are experimenting with tactical carbine and tactical shotgun as side shoots. You know the old saying: "Bring a shotgun to a pistol fight". My club would probably die if you suggested shooting tactical carbine at id"P"a. But some open minded i"D"pa clubs are doing it.
Old February 11, 2001, 11:41 AM   #5
Patrick Graham

There have been a lot of Run and Gun matches and 3 gun matches that are sort of ipsc/uspsa related, I believe that's what the poster is looking for. Most of the Run and Gun matches I've been to are dominated by 16" AR's either Bushmaster or Colt. I usually bring my 20" Bushmaster and do very well. A 16" Bushmaster Dissapator will work just fine. If you've got the money get both a 16" and 20" upper, find out which one you like the best. I would go with a regular iron sight upper, not a flat top, until you get the hang of it.
Old February 11, 2001, 11:01 PM   #6
Kathryn

Thanks for your thoughts, folks.

9x45 you needn't be so suspicious. What would be the point of a joke post? We do side rife & shotgun every month.
Old February 12, 2001, 06:50 AM   #7
Ned Roundtree

My club has SASS, Bullseye, IDPA and USPSA Three Gun. I am not a bullseye shooter. Our three gun matches are hardly run and gun. They can actually be quite challenging. I shoot IDPA and USPSA and yes, there is a different mindset between the two. In three gun I shoot Limited Class so I use open iron sights on my CAR-15. I prefer the 16 inch light weight barrel. Some stages are longer distance and some are up close and personal. Such as clearing a room with eight bad guys and eight hostages (no shoots). I feel very lucky to be part of a club that allows such a variety of the shooting disciplines. Oh, we also host the GSSF Regional once a year. I shoot that too.
Old March 29, 2001, 03:02 PM   #8
addecus

Bushmaster..yes!

I have a Bushmaster carbine (16" V-match) that is used for side matches and practical shooting. Our club started doin this to keep the interest level up and we have a good time. Whatever config. you decide on you wont go wrong gettin it from Bushmaster. Have Fun. Oh .. DCM rifle, our club has some too for highpower competition. The Bushy DCMs weigh close to 13 lbs. if'n you want a good all around gun for practical, your side matches, DCM highpower,and around the house ,just get a Bushmaster A2 20" H Bar.