The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 9, 2013, 12:41 PM   #676
Chaz88

Do you know if Illinois has any plan for reciprocity with their neighbors, like Iowa?

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 9, 2013, 02:41 PM   #677
Carry_24/7

Right now there is no reciprocity as far as carrying. For the IL 16 hour training requirement, they do offer up to 4 hours of credit for "training" taken that lead to a CC license from some other states. But, they do not accept the other states CC license only as proof of the training, the training certificate or signed/stamped application in cases such as Utah stating training was taken in the other state is required to receive the credit. For instance, I have a valid FL CC, but could not get the 4 extra hours of credit because I got the FL CC because I'm a veteran, I did not take a CC class. Currently, the absolute minimum training requirement to receive an IL CC is 4 hours; that's if you have 8 veterans credit hours by showing your DD-214 and 4 additional hours of training such as NRA pistol courses or another states CC class.
Old December 9, 2013, 02:46 PM   #678
Chaz88

Thanks Carry. I wish we could just treat CC permits like a drivers license, it is a pain to keep up with all the differences of all the states I travel in.

Guess because Illinois wanted to ban carry in the first place I can probably not look forward to them recognizing Iowa. But on the bright side Iowa will recognize yours and all other states permits.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 9, 2013, 03:00 PM   #679
Carry_24/7

IL does offer non-resident permits ($350 I believe), but no reciprocity to get it is allowed, and the training requirement from an IL instructor still stands.
Old January 7, 2014, 02:11 PM   #680
SamNavy

IL Permit Applications now being accepted!

Considering this is a new chapter in this saga for IL... perhaps this post should actually be the start of a new thread, up to the mods.

Don't hate me for linking Breitbart... it has the most information from all the links I found talking about the numbers:
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...plication-Site

Quote:
4,525 individuals signed up on Sunday alone for their firearms permits, when the State Police first opened the process to all concealed carry applicants.

Illinois State Police spokeswoman Monique Bond said that number is included in Sunday’s total of more than 11,000 people who have signed up because of an early application process that began December 18 and was open to only firearm instructors. Officials told the Sun-Times they expect 350,000 to 400,000 people (about 1,000 per day) will sign up for conceal carry firearm permits this year.
Old January 7, 2014, 03:35 PM   #681
ChuckS

Wow, $150 for residents and $300 for non-residents.

Let's see (350,000x150) that's about $50-60 million dollars...wow.

That's a lot of money to exercise a 'right' with no other option (open carry).

Is that the most expensive in the US? I know Florida used to be over $100.

How long before the excessive fees are challenged?
Old January 7, 2014, 03:51 PM   #682
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS
Wow, $150 for residents... That's a lot of money to exercise a 'right' with no other option (open carry)... Is that the most expensive in the US?
The standard fee in "gun-friendly" Texas is $140, although there are indigent and senior discounts, and a variety of other discounts for LE/military/etc. Remember that TX isn't an open-carry state either.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL...eeSchedule.pdf

Does IL have an indigent discount?

(I don't intend to start a thread hijack, but TX has generally high fees for non-compulsory gov't services and permits, due to a culture of low state-government spending.)
Old January 7, 2014, 04:04 PM   #683
Tinner666

Be aware that Illinois is a virtual minefield of traps for the carrier. You can be legal in one block, illegal in the next due to school proximity, 'safe zones', (which means that only bangers can carry there), etc.
Their set of restrictions reads like a book of lawyerese that I believe will even trip lawyers. I'll continue to avoid that state for now.
Old January 7, 2014, 06:02 PM   #684
Carry_24/7

Tinner, its not that restrictive. Being near a school, walking by a school, etc is permited by a licensed concealed carrier; just don't tread onto the school property. I've taken the class, read and have a copy of the law and IL State police interpretations, and had the chance to question and answer with the IL State Police and a City of Chicago Police Officer on these issues. Parking lots are safe zones for carriers having to do business in restricted areas except in a few isolated instances. While the new IL law is more restrictive than some states, its a start....and its not the worse either. Lets give it a chance and move for better days. Rumors will not help our cause.
Old January 8, 2014, 09:21 AM   #685
Jim March

The ban on carry on public transit is the single biggest "gotcha" and is clearly set up to limit carrying among those too poor to own a car.
Old January 8, 2014, 05:57 PM   #686
output

Quote:
Be aware that Illinois is a virtual minefield of traps for the carrier. You can be legal in one block, illegal in the next due to school proximity, 'safe zones', (which means that only bangers can carry there), etc.
Their set of restrictions reads like a book of lawyerese that I believe will even trip lawyers. I'll continue to avoid that state for now.
Sir, you really have no idea what you are talking about. The law is not perfect but it is not as bad you claim it to be. The “safe zones” you are speaking of do not apply to someone that is “legally” carrying. Please read the law before you post about it.

Quote:
The ban on carry on public transit is the single biggest "gotcha" and is clearly set up to limit carrying among those too poor to own a car.
That is correct. The sad part is that this will only affect a portion of the population (lower income) that needs to be able to carry. If you ride a train or bus in Chicago, your chances of being victimized are drastically increased IMO. I believe this is going to be one of the fist things that we try to fix or correct come the new legislative session.

Last edited by output; January 8, 2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old July 2, 2014, 12:46 PM   #687
Luger_carbine

Interesting new twist on Moore v Madigan - Social Media

Alan Gura seems to be taking the fight against Lisa Madigan to the Internet, with his blog, especially stressing how she is wasting the money of Illinois taxpayers

From Alan Gura's blog:

Quote:
Waiters, cabbies, and anyone else whose Illinois livelihood depends at least in part on gratuities, listen up: your attorney general is against tipping. Or at least, she doesn’t want me to tip you when I travel to Illinois on business. Or, at least on the business of stopping her from violating your constitutional rights.

Madigan is spending gobs of taxpayer money–the money withheld from your wages–fighting the idea that tipping is customary and ordinary. And it’s probably a losing battle, which will cost you more money.
http://alangura.com/2014/07/lisa-mad...nt-you-to-tip/

I don't quite understand the folks in Illinois they seem to tolerate a lot of fraud an abuse, but it is an interesting twist, using a new tactic to appeal directly to the citizens, although I'm not sure how many people in Illinois read Alan Gura's blog...
Old July 7, 2014, 11:04 AM   #688
BobCat45

This comment may not belong in this thread, but...

There is an article in the Chicago Tribune this morning about a fellow with a "concealed carry permit" who reportedly shot an attacker. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5324984.story

This happened in Chicago, and I did not see any reference to charges being filed against the concealed carry person, only against the attacker he shot.

There is not enough detail in the article to enable informed comment on whether or not the situation could have been deescalated or not. Reportedly the fellow was leaving a party with some friends, a woman in his group noticed a beverage container on top of their car, asked that it be moved, a person on the street responded by going in a house for a handgun, came out and began firing. The concealed carry person returned fire at that time.

The article did say that the concealed carry person was a military veteran, that he fired twice, and both rounds struck the attacker, who fired first.

If the tail of this thread about the demise of Illinois ban on concealed carry is the wrong place to post this report on this incident, please delete.
Old July 7, 2014, 11:48 AM   #689
motorhead0922

Bobcat, this is the logical outcome of law-abiding citizens being able to defend themselves with the same tools the thugs have always had. Innocent lives saved.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old July 7, 2014, 01:18 PM   #690
BobCat45

Agreed, completely. But I was born there, and it was the very last state to institute any kind of concealed carry, and having the "good guys" in a position to shoot back is kind of liberating. Even though I haven't lived there for about 30 years.