The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2011, 02:14 PM   #1
rbursek

"Modern Gun" 45 70 Bullets

Having a Ruger #3 in 45 70 and seeing the 2 beautiful Mausers in this forum in 45 70,a guestion came to me. The jacketed bullets made for the 45 70, are they designed for the slower, lower pressure actions, and can they perforem and hold together at the faster, higher pressure loads, especially the 300 grain hollow points? Just a thought.
Bob
Old April 26, 2011, 02:28 PM   #2
THEZACHARIAS

All the jacketed bullets (hollow point or not) I've run into perform quite well. Cast lead starts getting a little more complicated, but a gas-check tends to sort that out in a hurry.

Have had very good experiences with the hornady flex tips at higher velocities, with remington JHPs a close second.
Old April 26, 2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Dr. A

I've loaded and shot at game with most of them. They perform ideally if shot at under 2050fps or so. I began shooting thema s fast as I could. That is entirely too fast. They will perform just fine at 1600 to 2050fps or so. The Speer 300gr. and particularly the 300gr. Nosler Partition (no longer made) are able to be shot quite a bit faster because of improved construction. The Sierra, Remington and to some lesser extent, the Hornady are somewhat softer and will expand more. I have come full circle and use my 45-70's mainly for hogs. They do very well with a 405gr. lead bullet going 1450fps or so. No need for high pressure and velocity with that purpose.

There are a couple of other softer bullets (Remington 405gr. and 400gr. Speer). They've worked well for me up to 2000fps. Most feel they are too soft for bigger game. I've used them on Bison. Instant deaths. There are also 350gr and 325gr. Hornady's that are tougher, and will do just about anything you need.

There are lines of premium bullets that go beyond what I think the 45-70 really needs. This seems to be where alot of folks gravitate too. These are the Barnes, Nosler, Northfork, Hawk, and A Frame.

Speer 300gr. HP (actually a dimple) seems to be a middle of the road bullet. Its way beyond the regular 300gr. bullets and holds together when shot fast. Its all personal preference. Marlin owners has a bunch of bullet tests. This is one of the better ones:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,67552.0.html

Last edited by Dr. A; April 26, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old April 27, 2011, 11:52 AM   #4
rbursek

Thanks Dr A, a nice read!!1
Bob