The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 25, 2008, 02:25 PM   #26
HiBC

Maybe I don't write clearly.
I began with the idea that a first step is an early wake up device.Whether it is a motion detecting alarm,a really good dog or an iron gate across the hall to the bedroom,per Jeff Cooper.
The reason was ,if the bad guy is on top of someone as they are still sleeping,it may not matter what sort of weapon is available.The importance of some method of early wake up is the sole reason I included the 200 lb guy.
The next step,was to become armed.
I was inspired to write the thread after reading another person ask about a .32 H+R Mag for his wife.I also recalled my ex,who could enjoy plinking,but just wasn't into a centerfire defense handgun.
I do not pose myself as an expert,or telling anyone what they should do.I posed this thread to discuss the issue.I appreciate what PAX had to say.
Old August 25, 2008, 10:22 PM   #27
Tuckahoe

My dad was issued a carbine in the US army while stationed in Alaska during the cold war. It was a back up gun to a nuclear missile that was pointed at Moscow.
Old August 26, 2008, 11:59 PM   #28
jrothWA

One og my HD firearms is...

the Carbine. Its loaded with three mags of Win 110gr HP's, and the feed ramp was stoned to minimize stuttering of soft-nosed ammo.

Its NOT an hard kicking recoiling firearm, as another poster has indicated.

For me I used it at a SMGC winter shoot in 2006, where participant show up in period clothing, and fired a JCGarand match @ 100 yds.
My first five sighters,(from prone) were in a line touching each one, in the ten ring on a SR-1 target.

I have used it for my daughter to carry deer hunting as she is 5'5" and 102# driipng wet. I was back-up with .308.

I know two other hunters that used to take deer from tree stands, under 100yds, with no problems, BUT they waited for the shot.
Old August 29, 2008, 11:05 PM   #29
mpage

The Box O' Truth site did an interesting test which dispelled the myth about heavy clothing somehow taking the edge off of carbine rounds.
Old August 30, 2008, 11:07 AM   #30
Crosshair

Quote:
As I recall, not sure, they had problems with the 30 caliber M1 Carbine. When the Chinese came into the Korean war the carbine would not penetrate the padded clothing worn by the chinese. Does any body know about this???
Myth, the sights of the M1 carbine are adjustable out to 300 yards, but you are best to keep it inside 200. Solders were doing one of two things:

1. Undisciplined full auto fire with the M2, "I shot a whole clip into him and he kept on coming." When in reality he may not have hit the Chinese Solder at all, or perhaps nicked him in the arm.

2. Shooting at a target that is out of range. When your effective range on point targets is 200 yards and you are shooting at an enemy that is 400+ yards away, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell you that you probably aren't going to hit anything and will be just wasting ammo. People with Garands were firing at the Chinese so the people with Carbines started firing too, when they should have waited until the Chinese got closer instead of wasting their ammo shooting dirt.

Not a fault of the Solders mind you, it was a fault in their training.
Old September 7, 2008, 03:58 PM   #31
mini4m3

I love the m1 carbine. Statistically if you look at the numbers the m1 carbine hits like...

A 357 mag would at point blank - after the 30Carb had traveled 100yds
A 22LR would at point blank - after the 30Carb had traveled 500yds

Personally to have the ability to reach out and touch someone at 100yds with a 357mag is awesome.