The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 22, 2001, 10:45 AM   #1
JR in PA

I would like to give this sport a try, but I have some questions. I think that my 4" Model 10 is legal, right? Are belt slide holsters ok? Where on the belt? I carry speed loaders in my right jacket pocket, do I need a carrier? If so, where on the belt? Thanks
Old March 22, 2001, 03:04 PM   #2
RickB

Your M10 is fine. Go to the IDPA website for a list of legal holsters - if your specific holster model isn't on the list, it's not legal (I suspect local club matches have neither the time nor the interest in checking the brand and model number of your holster against the list). A belt slide should be fine. Ammo also has to be on the belt. Both the gun and ammo must be at or behind the body centerline, as viewed from the side.
Old March 22, 2001, 03:33 PM   #3
John Forsyth

Per the IDPA rule book:

Quote:
Revolver ammunition carriers may be worn directly in front of the holster on the strong side.
Only the auto loaders must have their mags behind the centerline of the body.

As RickB said, they do not check to closely at the club level. It's more important getting new people out than making sure they show up with all legal equipment. Bring what you have, and find out if it works. Then go from there.
Old March 23, 2001, 12:20 AM   #4
Southern Yankee

The biggest problem I've seen with the revolver guys <Most are coming over from our Cowboy Action Shooters> is that their reloads won't make the Minimum Power Factor. Most any .38 special factory load should, but you should check it first. When they reload for the Cowboy shoots I guess they don't have a minimum PF so they load them up just enough to punch through the paper, knock down a steel plate, etc, etc.
As for holsters, as long as it's not in a manufacture's competition catalog,and it covers the trigger its probably ok. It must be worn so the trigger is behind the centerline of the body as viewed from the side.
Speedloader pouches can be worn in front of the holster on the strong side, or behind the centerline on the weak side.
Since IDPA has a 18 shot limit on any stage, your limited to 3 speedloader on you at one time.
Checkout the IDPA website for the complete up to date rules.
Hope this helps.

[Edited by Southern Yankee on 03-23-2001 at 09:47 AM]
Old March 23, 2001, 08:36 AM   #5
M1911

If your specific holster is not on the IDPA list, send mail to them and ask if it is legal. I had a similar question in regards to the IWB holster that I used. Within an hour I had a response from IDPA saying that my holster was probably OK and that they were getting a catalog from the holster maker so they could consider all of his holsters. Within a week, they'd approved all of his strong-side belt holsters.

M1911
Old March 26, 2001, 10:47 AM   #6
banjobart

A speedloader carrier will be faster than pocket carry. I like the Bianci Accu-Mold twin carrier. It has Velcro closure that can be flipped open and accessed fast. I have it positioned in front of the holster. Your holster should be OK.