The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2001, 04:58 AM   #1
sck

A few months ago I ran across a site that listed dozens of old and/or unusual calibers with cross references to all the old reloading books in which you could find information for that caliber. I thought that I bookmarked the site, but now I can't find it. Does anyone have the address? Thanks -- Steve
Old February 25, 2001, 04:48 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Steve,

I've never heard of it, but if you find it, please let me know!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 26, 2001, 02:46 AM   #3
sck

Thanks for your replies Don and Mike. My wife is I librarian, so I want to thank you Don for librarians everywhere for helping to make their statistics look good.

I may have seen this on the Varmint Hunters site. If I can't find it in a week or two, what are your thoughts about making our own index? I would be willing to post a note explaining the idea and have folks send me the title of the book, caliber and page number. I would then put together an idex to make available to anyone who wanted it. The idea is that at least this way, when you're looking for information on an old or unusual caliber, you'll know which book has it. Let me know your thoughts. Regards -- Steve
Old February 26, 2001, 11:00 AM   #4
Quantrill

Steve, Don and Mike,
One possible limitation on this is that many of the older books that have reloading data (I have one from 1937), is that the powder listed is no longer made and/or the bullet is from a mold that is long since out of date or the manufacturer is defunct. In the "Complete Book of Reloading" by Phil Sharpe with addendums up through the 1950s, usually the only powders are Bullseye, Unique, 2400, and the IMR powders. Not to discourage you, I would be happy to know of your endeavors and assist you with what older references I might have. Quantrill
Old February 26, 2001, 11:39 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Quantrill,

You're absolutely right.

Plus, the powder charges from years ago are MUCH different than they are today!

SCK,

I have quite a few older reloading manuals (mostly post WW II), and may be able to lay my hands on some others that are even older.

Let me know if you want to go forward, and I'll start dusting them off! --Mike
Old February 26, 2001, 11:57 AM   #6
Hard Ball

You will also find that in many cases the maximum loads in the older mannuals are higher than in current manuals allthough the older loads worked just fine. The >357 Magnum data is an example.